Gavin Harrison here!

Julia Browning

Hi Gavin,

Just curious, in some of the songs in The Pineapple Thief, there is some mallet percussion, especially marimba (and maybe occasionally vibes?) My question is, do you record yourself playing those parts, or do you program them in?

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Croc

Hoping that you and your Mighty Crim bandmates travel safely and have a great time touring the States in the upcoming leg. Looking forward to seeing you, Pat, and Jez ripping it up, again!

thanks - we're here in the States rehearsing for the tour already. See you soon

Hi Julia

Just curious, in some of the songs in The Pineapple Thief, there is some mallet percussion, especially marimba (and maybe occasionally vibes?) My question is, do you record yourself playing those parts, or do you program them in?

yes I recorded myself playing the marimba. There's no vibraphone - maybe you're hearing my Nord Drum 3 pad?

cheers
Gavin

Julia Browning

Hi Gavin,

I was able to see the King Crimson concert tonight in Texas, and it was amazing! I’ll definitely count it as a once in a lifetime experience. The level of communication needed between the whole band is astounding. Thanks for all you do.

Two questions: What kind of head do you use for the resonant side of your bass drum, and how many sticks do you bring with you per concert?

roncadillac

Got to see King Crimson in St Augustine FL a few days ago, fantastic show! You all did a great job but I was especially impressed with your playing, Gavin.
Cheers!

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Julia

What kind of head do you use for the resonant side of your bass drum, and how many sticks do you bring with you per concert?

the front head has an artwork print on it - it's quite dead and doesn't really resonate at all. I guess I have about 100 pairs of sticks on the tour with me. I might break about 2 or 3 sticks a night on average. On stage I have about 10 pairs.

Cheers
Gavin

roncadillac

Hi Julia

What kind of head do you use for the resonant side of your bass drum, and how many sticks do you bring with you per concert?

the front head has an artwork print on it - it's quite dead and doesn't really resonate at all. I guess I have about 100 pairs of sticks on the tour with me. I might break about 2 or 3 sticks a night on average. On stage I have about 10 pairs.

Cheers
Gavin

It may not resonate BUT that cannon punches hard from mid theater (I had seats literally right behind the board). Cheers!

IMG_20210724_212442261.jpg
IMG_20210724_223341052.jpg

Last edited:

Seafroggys

Silver Member
I'm a few days late, but I drove 600 miles from Portland to Concord to see Crimson last Thursday. First time for me, although I've been a fan since 2005. It was so amazing. I was just to the left of you, about 10 rows back or so. The three of you did such a fantastic job, I've never seen a drum performance like that before. I'm also a Sonor fanboy! :D

(I really wish you guys did Epitaph, but playing 3 songs off of Red is more than enough to compensate)

Otto

Platinum Member
Love the age range depicted in the audience by those photos.

Really says something about the music's life outside of the performance hall.

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Stevesmithfan

What 3 main Zildjian crashes are you using currently? What is your favorite sized Sweet Crash?

The three main crashes are - 20" Sweet Crash, 17" A medium Crash, 19" Sweet Crash. Of the Sweet Crashes I think I slightly prefer the 20" - but they are both great.

Hi Seafroggys

(I really wish you guys did Epitaph, but playing 3 songs off of Red is more than enough to compensate)

We normally play Epitaph every show - strange that we didn't that night.

cheers
Gavin

12:7

Hi Mr Gavin,

what do you think of Alfredo Golino?
I just discovered him now and he's absolutely amazing.
Thanks for your input.

Take care

Jan Kohrt

Hey Gavin,

I recently did a Zoom class with Mike Mangini. It was based on the new DT song and how to properly learn the complex structures. Mike taught about visual imagery and shapes, e. g. a "triangle - shape" (from snare to two toms). This way one could memorize the shape structure without having to count to 17, for example. Of course you can break down complex time signatures like 17 into 5,5,7 but I was wondering if you also have a special method to learn complex songs, when they're presented to you either in a band situation or for a recording session.

cheers
Jan

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi 12:7

what do you think of Alfredo Golino? I just discovered him now and he's absolutely amazing.

yes he is an absolutely great drummer and one of Italy's finest ever players. I have know about him since 1989 when I went to work in Italy.

Hi JanKohrt

I recently did a Zoom class with Mike Mangini. It was based on the new DT song and how to properly learn the complex structures. Mike taught about visual imagery and shapes, e. g. a "triangle - shape" (from snare to two toms). This way one could memorize the shape structure without having to count to 17, for example. Of course you can break down complex time signatures like 17 into 5,5,7 but I was wondering if you also have a special method to learn complex songs, when they're presented to you either in a band situation or for a recording session.

I don't personally associate shapes to help with odd number counting - but it sounds like an interesting method. Obviously works well for Mike!
I think I just need to be able to sing the riff or bass line and internalise it. I almost never count.

cheers
Gavin

sahilsarin

Hi Gavin!
Thank you for a hilarious and very insightful session with John :)

- Has using the Kelly Shu mounts been sonically advantageous to both or any of the kick drum microphones as compared to when mounted on a stand and a pillow? Or is it more for practical reasons to get the D12VR in that position facing the beater?

- What is your opinion on using the Earthworks SR20 as compared to DM20 on the snare? Do you prefer blending the SR20 with your Shure SM57 (Top) or using them standalone?

- When using standalone, would you happily use the Shure SM57 over the SR20 or do you feel that it is a compromise?

Thank you!

Cheers
Sahil

Julia Browning

Hi Gavin,

When you tour with The Pineapple Thief, do you normally set up stage left, like you do in King Crimson?

Best,
Julia

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Sahilsarin

Has using the Kelly Shu mounts been sonically advantageous to both or any of the kick drum microphones as compared to when mounted on a stand and a pillow? Or is it more for practical reasons to get the D12VR in that position facing the beater?

I don't think there's a noticeable sonic difference but there is great consistency in having the mic in the exact same position all the time - especially on tour. Kick mics are very sensitive to proximity. If they are an inch or two closer (or further away) - that affects the sound a lot.

- What is your opinion on using the Earthworks SR20 as compared to DM20 on the snare? Do you prefer blending the SR20 with your Shure SM57 (Top) or using them standalone? When using standalone, would you happily use the Shure SM57 over the SR20 or do you feel that it is a compromise?

I preferred the SR20 a lot more than the DM20 on the snare drum. I do record a Shure SM57 as well - but lately I prefer the sound of the SR20 so I tend to just use that. However - you do need to be careful to not having the SR20 close to the hi hat as it can distort when you play a loud open hi hat note.

Hi Julia

When you tour with The Pineapple Thief, do you normally set up stage left, like you do in King Crimson?

Stage left seems to be my default position in both bands !

Hi Roger

I was wondering how your connection with Tama came about. How did you end up with the Speed Cobra pedals?

After I played the Modern Drummer festival in 2008 I met Aaron Vishria from Tama USA. Sometime later he asked me if I'd like to try a new pedal that Tama had just released called SpeedCobra. No obligation - just a discrete trail. He sent me a pair and I absolutely clicked with them. I think every pedal has a 'feel' of it's own and it just felt right with my (temperamental) feet.

cheers
Gavin