Gavin Harrison here!

Liam

Hey Gavin,

As a drummer and someone interested in audio engineering, would it be possible for you to make a couple of videos giving us a tour of your studio talking about your recording setup, microphones, presets, drums, cymbals, and other aspects of your recording? If you could also make a video about your tuning method that would be great.

Thanks,
Liam

Warrenoids

Thank you for this Gavin. I managed to put all the tempo changes in my DAW fairly accurately, although the song rushes a little bit in that section.

I'll report to you when the recording is finished. Again, thank you very much.

On that note, I decided to just reuse your arrangement for the three drummer lineup (with me handling yours and Pat's part). In the mid section (that part where there's the 7 pattern (da-da-da) and then Robert and Tony (Trey, previously) plays a spree together) I'm going to handle the beat under the spree while the other drummer plays the cymbal chokes. For those who doesn't know, the original piece has a quite different arrangement compared to how Crimson plays it today; I'm just using the original song with the three drummers arrangement laid on top (save a few modifications).

Last edited:

Torkerz

Hey Gavin,

Song requests may not be appropriate here... BUT!

I've recently listened to the track 'Gutter' by Lunatic Soul and it is crying out for your playing on it! Would you be willing to do a cover of it and add drums to it?

Just keep hearing your Toms in my head! Would be insane if Mariusz gave you the stems!

Cheers,

Luke

Last edited:

BrianBjur

Hi Gavin,

I’ve just listened to your conversation with Sarah Hagan (which everyone should check out!
) and am curious about a couple things. First, you’ve identified that you play with a lot of velocity, however you came from jazz and brushes. Was it your work with Iggy Pop that gave you the opportunity/realization that you could play more loudly, was it your exposure to Meshuggah, was it a suggestion from a bandmate, or all/none of the above? Second, being among musicians at a young age and in a musical household, what were early experiences like with others who had poor sense of time? Did you feel compelled to help them, did it just get on your nerves, was it no concern to you? Growing up playing in church I often found myself being conductor to less rhythmically convicted bandmates and felt responsible to make them aware of their metric oversight, which made for a less enjoyable experience all around.

Thank you,

Brian

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
It seems some messages/replies got lost in a crash on Drummerworld that happened about a week ago.

Hi Luke

I've recently listened to the track 'Gutter' by Lunatic Soul and it is crying out for your playing on it! Would you be willing to do a cover of it and add drums to it?

I don't really make 'covers' - but the song is nice as it is - I don't think it needs me all over it.

Hi BrianBjur

First, you’ve identified that you play with a lot of velocity, however you came from jazz and brushes. Was it your work with Iggy Pop that gave you the opportunity/realization that you could play more loudly, was it your exposure to Meshuggah, was it a suggestion from a bandmate, or all/none of the above?

I think it began in my early days - way before Iggy Pop - and playing gigs with no monitoring and guitarists and bass players having loud amps on stage. I just couldn't really hear myself clearly so I started to play louder and louder. For sure when I started with Iggy Pop I needed to really ramp up the volume/aggression. You can't play that kind of gig with a pair of 7a's - so I started using bigger sticks. I didn't hear Meshuggah until about 15 years after my time playing with Iggy Pop.

Second, being among musicians at a young age and in a musical household, what were early experiences like with others who had poor sense of time? Did you feel compelled to help them, did it just get on your nerves, was it no concern to you?

I think there were times of confusion where I could hear things were not right - but I often wondered if it was me or the others. Making sessions in the 80's (where everything was on tape) it was hard to really identify what was really 'in time' 'ahead of the time' or 'behind the time' - but I could tell when everything felt good. Sometimes when other players sounded 'out of time' to me - I just turned them way down in my monitoring so they didn't put me off. I guess some folks are more sensitive to timing than others. I have come across musicians who have a similar sensitivity to tuning.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:

sal_tpa

Hope you’re well Gavin! Aside from the discontinued EFX #1 splashes and your bells made of broken crash cymbals, did you ever use any regular splash cymbals with Porcupine Tree and if so which ones?

- Salvador

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Salvador

Aside from the discontinued EFX #1 splashes and your bells made of broken crash cymbals, did you ever use any regular splash cymbals with Porcupine Tree and if so which ones?

In the early days of my time with Porcupine Tree I did use a Zildjian A 6" splash. In fact it's the very cymbal I play on the album version of The Sound Of Muzak. I think shortly after that period I gave up with splash cymbals.

cheers
Gavin

bananers

Hey Gavin,

Not a question but super excited for the Pineapple Thief concert starting tomorrow, looks incredible and can't wait to watch it!

(Also Rhythmic Illusions is keeping my head super busy - thanks for that 😂🤪)

Best,
Alannah

Liam

Hey Gavin,

I know you auctioned off your Sonor Designer drum kit, but I am wondering what you did with your Sonor Delite, and your SQ2 in gold hardware. Also, what are you going to do with your blue tribal drum kits now that you have your new yellow tribal drum kit? Lastly, why did you switch from Axis Longboards to Speed Cobras, and why did you stop using the Cobra Clutch, one more thing, have you ever thought of adding another pedal to your setup (eg cowbell).

Thanks,
Liam

PS. are you and Zildjian going to make custom "Gavin Bells" and the rock bells you have over your kick drum?

Last edited:

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Liam

I know you auctioned off your Sonor Designer drum kit, but I am wondering what you did with your Sonor Delite, and your SQ2 in gold hardware.

The Delite and the SQ2 (with the gold hardware) were sets that I had in the USA. I swapped them for a Blue Tribal SQ that is a clone of the one I have in the UK.

Also, what are you going to do with your blue tribal drum kits now that you have your new yellow tribal drum kit?

Use them on various tours. The fact is - I need a set in the US and I need a set that I keep in flight cases in transit around Europe or another part of the world - added to that I need a set at home in my studio.

Lastly, why did you switch from Axis Longboards to Speed Cobras, and why did you stop using the Cobra Clutch,

I just found the SpeedCobra to be more compatible with my (very temperamental) feet. I still have the Cobra Clutch but I'm not playing the music that requires it at the moment. When there was quite a bit of double pedal things to play (such as in Porcupine Tree) I found it very useful.

one more thing, have you ever thought of adding another pedal to your setup (eg cowbell).

no I haven't.

cheers
Gavin

TheWolfGuy

Thoroughly enjoyed the Nothing But the Truth show - great all around production! During the show I noticed a tablet next to your hi hat. Can you elaborate on its use during the show? General monitoring of the kit? The band (IEM)? Recording? Software utilized? Much appreciated - thanks.

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi TheWolfGuy

Thoroughly enjoyed the Nothing But the Truth show - great all around production! During the show I noticed a tablet next to your hi hat. Can you elaborate on its use during the show? General monitoring of the kit? The band (IEM)? Recording? Software utilized?

Glad you enjoyed the show. I have an iPad running "Universal Control" by Presonus which controls the monitoring system via WiFi.

Hi MattH10

Really enjoyed the Nothing But The Truth Show! What hi hats did you use?

they are Zildjian K Custom 14" Session Hi Hats.

cheers
Gavin

Doraemon

Hi Gavin,

I can't stop watching Nothing But The Truth! Amazing performance and sound, as always. I loved the camera angle from above the drums. Are there any plans to release this on Blu-ray? I'd love to listen to the show again in 5.1 if possible, that would make it feel even more live.

At the end of Our Mire you used a drumstick vertically and upside down, do you sometimes do that and for what reason? Never noticed before.
Cheers,

Dora

cygnify

I too really loved the "Nothing but the Truth" show (and I also hope for a future bluray release! 🤞) The mix was incredibly clear and the band was really excellent; and the drum kit sounded fantastic! A couple of a questions occurred to me:

* I noticed you had a Zildjian A crash just to the left of your ride; I had seen you use a K crash in that position before. I'm curious what thought you had given to your cymbal selection for this show; what types of things might influence your choices of cymbals for a specific gig?

* The footage of "In Exile" really highlighted your technique on the snare of tapping your fingers while playing a side-stick. I have tried this and cannot get the response out of my snare - I seem to mute the head too much with my hand resting on stick I'm playing side-stick with. Is it that your snare is just that much more responsive or are you somehow keeping your hand off the snare head while tapping your fingers?

* the small inverted bell directly in front of you; is that still a prototype? Is development moving forward?

thank you!

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Doraemon

At the end of Our Mire you used a drumstick vertically and upside down, do you sometimes do that and for what reason? Never noticed before.

I think you mean this right? If you tap the cymbal right on the edge (at about 90 degrees to the edge of the cymbal) with a stick it will make a pleasing "ping" sound.

cheers
Gavin

Screen Shot 2021-04-26 at 09.52.52.png

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi cygnify

* I noticed you had a Zildjian A crash just to the left of your ride; I had seen you use a K crash in that position before. I'm curious what thought you had given to your cymbal selection for this show; what types of things might influence your choices of cymbals for a specific gig?

That is a 17" Zildjian Medium Thin Crash - the reason I like playing it is that it has the larger bell - same as the 18" and above - so it has a bigger crash cymbal sound (without a really big diameter). I think it the smallest crash in the range - with that large bell.

* The footage of "In Exile" really highlighted your technique on the snare of tapping your fingers while playing a side-stick. I have tried this and cannot get the response out of my snare - I seem to mute the head too much with my hand resting on stick I'm playing side-stick with. Is it that your snare is just that much more responsive or are you somehow keeping your hand off the snare head while tapping your fingers?

No I'm not lifting my hand off the snare head as far as I'm aware - but I do hit the drum as hard as I can with my end of my fingers.

* the small inverted bell directly in front of you; is that still a prototype? Is development moving forward?

Just a prototype at the moment. I don't know of any plans to release it.

cheers
Gavin

Doraemon

Hi Doraemon

I think you mean this right? If you tap the cymbal right on the edge (at about 90 degrees to the edge of the cymbal) with a stick it will make a pleasing "ping" sound.

cheers
Gavin
Yes, that's it! It looked really cool.

Just a prototype at the moment. I don't know of any plans to release it.
Hi Gavin,
I sincerely hope Zildjian does make some of those crash bells at some point - the 11" one in the K Sweet performance of Break It All really does sound extraordinary! It seems to have a downward pitch bend that I've never heard from any cymbal before, almost like it's being lowered into water. Does it actually sound like that or is the pitch bend a result of the mixing?

And are the crash bells essentially like the cut-out cymbal bells you have but cut down less far? I have a couple of old crash cymbals that I'm planning on sending to Cymbal Magic (modification and repair company) and I'd love to see if something resembling crash bells could be made. It's such a musical sound, I feel they'd sell like hotcakes if Zildjian made them!

Thanks for your time here as always!

All the best,
Robin