Gavin Harrison here!

Warrenoids

Hey Gav (once again). Another KC question, on Last Skirmish (which I affectionally dub the Gavin Harrison shed song), what rudiments do you mostly use to do those blazing "solo" near the end of the song?

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Warrenoids

"Last Skirmish" what rudiments do you mostly use to do those blazing "solo" near the end of the song?

Just combinations of singles and doubles - nothing unusual that I can remember

cheers
Gavin

Adam Sayers

Hi Gavin, i've sent you a private message, i'm not sure if you check/reply to them, so I just thought i'd post on here to make you aware. Don't worry it's not a request for a review or some backing tracks ;) it's about a drum I acquired not too long ago, and I didn't want to post about it publicly on here.

Cheers!
Adam

Hi Gavin, hope all is well! Thanks again for answering our questions, it's such a privilege to be able to ask you this stuff here.

I have quite a task ahead of me in that I agreed to take part in an YouTube cover of Anesthetize - I'll be playing drums on specifically The Pills I'm Taking section. And inevitably, the part that I'm physically struggling to play is the metal breakdown at 11:05 but hopefully I'll get there! Was that pattern something you had been practicing before Anesthetize was written or was it tailor made there and then for the song?

Also, I have something that I was going to ask on Drum Hangs but didn't have time. As we know, the standard configuration of the drum kit has changed a lot over the years - the fashion with toms as far as I've can tell seems to have gone from 13/16 to 12/13/16 to 10/12/14 to 10/12/16 most recently. I personally think (and hope!) the next stage of drum kit evolution is the 10/12/15 setup becoming standardised as I think it is truly the most versatile 5 piece configuration there is, along with possibly 10/13/16. As someone who's been using the 15" floor tom for a while, what are your thoughts on this?

Many thanks,
Robin

willregnier

Hi Gavin!

The new project with Antoine Fafard sounds promising!
I've noticed some Earthworks mics on your kit. How do you find them compared to the 414 on toms and the 57 on snare?
Also, how do you like your birch kit? You have a very specific sound and I was wondering if you noticed a difference in your tone compared to the maple shells?

Thanks!
Will

Doraemon

Hey Gavin,

I have a similar question to the above.. Do you still use your maple kit(s)? I'm still so much in love with the sound of Your Wilderness, because it's so warm. Are you going to get extra birch kits for different continents or which are you planning to tour with? I hope to see you back in the US soon!

Also, you just inspired me to take a marimba lesson, haha. Did you use two or four mallets in the songs? Have you tried the different marimba grips or held them as drumsticks? Any chance your alternative versions can get a digital release at a later time? (Also the Record Store album?) I have many friends who can't play certain formats and I'd like them to listen to those songs. I think they could appeal to an even wider audience. Thanks,

Dora

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Robin

I have quite a task ahead of me in that I agreed to take part in an YouTube cover of Anesthetize - I'll be playing drums on specifically The Pills I'm Taking section. And inevitably, the part that I'm physically struggling to play is the metal breakdown at 11:05 but hopefully I'll get there! Was that pattern something you had been practicing before Anesthetize was written or was it tailor made there and then for the song?

I had never played that pattern before that song so it was designed just for that section. I tried a few different things before settling on that. It just seemed to fit really well. Best of luck with it.

As we know, the standard configuration of the drum kit has changed a lot over the years - the fashion with toms as far as I've can tell seems to have gone from 13/16 to 12/13/16 to 10/12/14 to 10/12/16 most recently. I personally think (and hope!) the next stage of drum kit evolution is the 10/12/15 setup becoming standardised as I think it is truly the most versatile 5 piece configuration there is, along with possibly 10/13/16. As someone who's been using the 15" floor tom for a while, what are your thoughts on this?

When I was gigging a lot in the 1990's I used 10, 12, 15 a lot of the time. I LOVE a 15" floor tom. Going from 12 to 16 seemed too much for me - and I never really got along with a 14" floor tom very well.

Hi Will

I've noticed some Earthworks mics on your kit. How do you find them compared to the 414 on toms and the 57 on snare?

I've been trying them out for a while and I really like them. I've been using the Earthworks bass drum mic as a snare mic - and it's fantastic. They didn't sound better than the AKGs but just a little bit brighter and I like the size of them a lot. I have hit the 414s quiet a few times and it's a horrible feeling. However I didn't prefer the Earthworks on the floor toms - so I'm still using the AKGs there.

Also, how do you like your birch kit? You have a very specific sound and I was wondering if you noticed a difference in your tone compared to the maple shells?

I'm loving the new Birch set (as in fact I love all my Sonor sets) but I have to say there is not a massive amount of difference. It's pretty subtle.

Hi Dora

I have a similar question to the above.. Do you still use your maple kit(s)? I'm still so much in love with the sound of Your Wilderness, because it's so warm. Are you going to get extra birch kits for different continents or which are you planning to tour with? I hope to see you back in the US soon!

I haven't played the maple kits since I got the birch one as I've just been working in my studio and not played live since last December. I have a maple set stored in the US that I play whenever I'm there.

Also, you just inspired me to take a marimba lesson, haha. Did you use two or four mallets in the songs? Have you tried the different marimba grips or held them as drumsticks?

I can't play 4 mallets - I can barely play with two and use a very straight forward grip.

Any chance your alternative versions can get a digital release at a later time? (Also the Record Store album?) I have many friends who can't play certain formats and I'd like them to listen to those songs. I think they could appeal to an even wider audience. Thanks,

Unfortunately I'm not in charge of those kind of decisions - that is really down to the record company - but I would hope so as we put a lot of work into the alternative versions.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:

Pavel Ljubicic

Hello, Gavin (again)!

I was always interested in your pedal settings. How do you set-up your spring tension, beater angle, beater height...?

LinearDrummer

Silver Member
Hi Gavin,
Wow the last question I asked was probably back at like page 10 or so when you first joined when I bought you dvd 😊 glad to see you are recognized for your contributions to the drum community...

My question is I still enjoy your Letterman performance and always wondered what you had in your in-ear - was it a just a straight click or did you use a bar counter? I imagine its a little tricky to play a long solo where the band will still come in after?

I'm very curious what was the process with those arrangements?

Thanks

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Warrenoids

was just wondering, what does your rack system consist of?

basically it's two V pipes, two curved bars, and two straight legs. There is a little bit of pipe cutting involved because the V pipes need extra support and they are a little bit too long for my purpose. At the top of each V pipe is a "3 way platform" and they hold the Sonor tom arms and a cymbal arm behind the 12" tom. The rest of it is just cymbal arms.

IMG_9965.JPG

Hi Pavel Ljubicic

I was always interested in your pedal settings. How do you set-up your spring tension, beater angle, beater height...?

It's very hard to describe exact settings - but I can tell you that the beater height is 11cms (from the underside of the beater down to the pedal) - and from the centre of the beater to where it hits the drum head is 18cms (so that will also give you the angle of the beater). I would say the spring is pretty low tension.

Hi LinearDrummer

My question is I still enjoy your Letterman performance and always wondered what you had in your in-ear - was it a just a straight click or did you use a bar counter? I imagine its a little tricky to play a long solo where the band will still come in after? I'm very curious what was the process with those arrangements?

When I was asked to play that show my only instruction was that it needed to be 3min 20secs long and that I had to include the band. So I worked out a tempo that I felt comfortable playing a solo at - and an arrangement of "The Chicken" that would fit into that format. So basically it is the head of the tune - followed by four solos (of 15 bars each and then on bar 16 the phrase with the band) and then the head of the tune again. I played to a straight quarter note click. The musical director of the show thought it would be safer if he counted through the solos for the band so no matter what I played they wouldn't get lost. I didn't hear his counting. I think the hardest thing was the vast amount of pressure I felt. To perform well - knowing how many millions of people would be watching it - and with only one chance of doing it - the pressure was enormous. When I rehearsed it for the first time with the band in the afternoon (and with not that much pressure) it went extremely well (probably better than the live version). Everyone was very pleased - including me. I had a plan of what I wanted to play in the four solos (I hadn't worked out every note but just an "idea chart" that I followed). Then the director wanted to do a second rehearsal - so I thought to completely improvise my second rehearsal run through. They didn't go nearly as well - as I soon dried up my solo ideas under the circumstances. Then that was the end of the rehearsal. Then I had a few long hours of sitting around getting extremely anxious. So I just said to myself "stick to the plan" - and it worked out (despite dropping a stick in the middle of it). The whole thing was very surreal.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:

The Prof

Hi Warrenoids

was just wondering, what does your rack system consist of?

basically it's two V pipes, two curved bars, and two straight legs. There is a little bit of pipe cutting involved because the V pipes need extra support and they are a little bit too long for my purpose. At the top of each V pipe is a "3 way platform" and they hold the Sonor tom arms and a cymbal arm behind the 12" tom. The rest of it is just cymbal arms.

View attachment 96990

Hi Pavel Ljubicic

It's very hard to describe exact settings - but I can tell you that the beater height is 11cms (from the underside of the beater down to the pedal) - and from the centre of the beater to where it hits the drum head is 18cms (so that will also give you the angle of the beater). I would say the spring is pretty low tension.

Hi LinearDrummer

My question is I still enjoy your Letterman performance and always wondered what you had in your in-ear - was it a just a straight click or did you use a bar counter? I imagine its a little tricky to play a long solo where the band will still come in after? I'm very curious what was the process with those arrangements?

When I was asked to play that show my only instruction was that it needed to be 3min 20secs long and that I had to include the band. So I worked out a tempo that I felt comfortable playing a solo at - and an arrangement of "The Chicken" that would fit into that format. So basically it is the head of the tune - followed by four solos (of 15 bars each and then on bar 16 the phrase with the band) and then the head of the tune again. I played to a straight quarter note click. The musical director of the show thought it would be safer if he counted through the solos for the band so no matter what I played they wouldn't get lost. I didn't hear his counting. I think the hardest thing was the vast amount of pressure I felt. To perform well - knowing how many millions of people would be watching it - and with only one chance of doing it - the pressure was enormous. When I rehearsed it for the first time with the band in the afternoon (and with not that much pressure) it went extremely well (probably better than the live version). Everyone was very pleased - including me. I had a plan of what I wanted to play in the four solos (I hadn't worked out every note but just an "idea chart" that I followed). Then the director wanted to do a second rehearsal - so I thought to completely improvise my second rehearsal run through. They didn't go nearly as well - as I soon dried up my solo ideas under the circumstances. Then that was the end of the rehearsal. Then I had a few long hours of sitting around getting extremely anxious. So I just said to myself "stick to the plan" - and it worked out (despite dropping a stick in the middle of it). The whole thing was very surreal.

cheers
Gavin
I'm so glad you described the Letterman performance (which was great btw). I really wondered whether pros feel the pressure of something like that, or whether it was just another day in the office. I get nervous playing my run of the mill dive bar shows, Just thinking of performing on live TV makes me come out in hives! It's good to know that we're all just human after all :)

LinearDrummer

Silver Member
Wow thanks Gavin for that insight on Letterman.
I'm sure that was something you will always cherish - that was quite an accomplishment to pull off on national TV as successful as you did...

If I may ask one more question about the event - how did you get picked? word of mouth....Letterman was a fan?

Last edited:

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
If I may ask one more question about the event - how did you get picked? word of mouth....Letterman was a fan?
The way I understand it was that Paul Shaffer (Musical Director of the Dave Letterman show) was collecting his son from his regular drum lesson with Lou Caldarola and mentioned to him that Letterman was doing another "Drum Week" on the show. Lou (who I believe was a Porcupine Tree fan) suggested that I might be a suitable candidate. It all came as a big surprise to me when Porcupine Tree's manager called me around 6 weeks before the show. Then I got an email from Paul Shaffer to discuss what to play.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:

Ameestafg

Hey Gavin,
Time to recommend: Can you tell us five good Jazz bands (any subgenere) that you like listening to, please? 🖤
You the best, thank you for the music!
Remember the crew here in México can't wait to have you back 🤘🏻🇲🇽
Cheers, Betsi

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Time to recommend: Can you tell us five good Jazz bands (any subgenere) that you like listening to, please? 🖤
You the best, thank you for the music!
Remember the crew here in México can't wait to have you back 🤘🏻🇲🇽
Hi Betsi

here are some I enjoy listening to...

Steps. Smokin In The Pit, Step By Step, Modern Times, Steps Ahead
Yellowjackets. The Spin, Run For Your Life, Blue Hats
Weather Report. I really enjoyed the period with Jaco Pastorius on bass. Heavy Weather, 8:30
Chick Corea. The Mad Hatter, Friends, Three Quartets, My Spanish Heart
Art Farmer. Big Blues, Crawl Space

cheers
Gavin

Icetech

Gold Member
The way I understand it was that Paul Shaffer (Musical Director of the Dave Letterman show) was collecting his son from his regular drum lesson with Lou Caldarola and mentioned to him that Letterman was doing another "Drum Week" on the show. Lou (who I believe was a Porcupine Tree fan) suggested that I might be a suitable candidate. It all came as a big surprise to me when Porcupine Tree's manager called me around 6 weeks before the show. Then I got an email from Paul Shaffer to discuss what to play.

cheers
Gavin
I'm glad they got you on there, that solo was the moment that made me finally buy some drums :)