Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Warrenoids

Will your prototype chimes made by Zildjian ever going to be released publicly?

It's a good question - but I don't know the answer to it. As far as I know - there are no plans.

Hi Birch4Punch

I have been using your Signature Series drumsticks for a while now. Great design. I wanted to ask you which spot on the stick do you find gives you the best sound when playing the bell of the cymbal?

I usually hit the bell of cymbal with the shoulder of the stick. About 3 inches down from the tip.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin - I'm sure I speak for everyone on this forum, we thank you for the time you spend answering all our equipment and technique questions, it is always very informative and helpful, not too mention kind. I am using the two bass drum microphone mounting system you suggested (2 Kelly Shu's and Shure M91A and Beta 52 with a heavy feather pillow), best sound I have ever gotten through my PA with in ears. I do have the Kick Pro pillow also, but didn't think of trying it with the feather pillow. I'm curious if it will make even better sound. One question though - Would you please tell me what drop clutch, for your hi hat, you do or did you use, at one time or another? I also have the Sonor 600 series Hi Hat, and the clutch that comes with it doesn't take a drop clutch attachment that I know of or can find any info on. Also fortunately, I did manage to get the last Tama Cobra Clutch that was available in the US about 8 months ago....You're 100 % correct, it's fantastic. I love it!

Thanks, Phil

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Phil

Would you please tell me what drop clutch, for your hi hat, you do or did you use, at one time or another?

I used a DW one on a few Porcupine Tree tours - but I got through quite a few of them over the years. They do fit over the Sonor Hex hi hat rod. Tama just made a new one that looks very interesting (Tama STDC7 Sizzle Touch Drop Clutch). If I ever need to do some serious 'drop clutching' again I'll investigate that - (if it will fit over the Hex rod).

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:

Warrenoids

Hey Gav, would you mind telling me how did you make the first generation of your cup chime holder? That should be the one with the square pipe, right?

Pavel Ljubicic

Hi Gavin,

I'd like to ask you a thing about the Buddy Rich memorial concert you've played on back in 2012.
Were you feeling excited to perform the music of one of your heroes and also what did you think about other drummers' performances (Paice, Baker, Weckl...)? Do you know if there's any footage of your performance available?
Thank you for answering.

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Warrenoids

would you mind telling me how did you make the first generation of your cup chime holder? That should be the one with the square pipe, right?

yes an engineer friend of mine made that first one - and the second one. It was made with a super heavy piece of solid square bar and I used it for a few years. The second one was a bit lighter and more adjustable. Then I realised I could make the whole thing with Sonor parts (with a small modification) and then a few years ago I found something on Ebay which was pretty much ideal and very light.

Hi Pavel Ljubicic

I'd like to ask you a thing about the Buddy Rich memorial concert you've played on back in 2012.
Were you feeling excited to perform the music of one of your heroes and also what did you think about other drummers' performances (Paice, Baker, Weckl...)? Do you know if there's any footage of your performance available?

Yes it was a blast and the band was amazing (I had a few friends in the band). I didn't see all of Ian Paice or Ginger Baker's set (I could be wrong) but I believe they played arrangements of songs from their own bands (Deep Purple and Cream) rather than play one of Buddy's standard tunes. I know Ian has recently played at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club with the band so I'm sure he played a lot of Buddy's charts. I watched Dave Weckl that night (in 2012) and he was absolutely amazing ! He told me he went on tour with Buddy's band in the late 90's.
The 2012 show wasn't filmed. I think the whole filming thing was just not viable. Something to know is that prestigious venues charge a hefty 'origination fee' for filming at their venue and in some places that can be an absolute fortune - and it is something you have to consider carefully when making videos of live concerts. That fee - on top of the film crew - can just be too much.

cheers
Gavin

bananers

Hi Gavin,

I just got the Modern Drummer 2008 videos from the Hudson Music sale and in case I hadn't expressed here enough, your playing is so ridiculously inspiring, especially on this - and it was a really nice introduction and interview from Simon Phillips, particularly when he was talking about how he used to play in the same big band as your dad, I didn't know that, very cool!

Thank you so much for the continued inspiration, you always give me new ideas and something to constantly work towards :)

Alannah

Last edited:

Al Strange

Hi Gavin. Thank you for your Rhythmic Illusions series in Rhythm magazine back in the 80’s...you completely ruined my brain! I attended a clinic you did for Premier in Nottingham 20 odd years ago and you were awesome; you came across as a top bloke as well as a top, top player. As a Premier guy for many years I was sad to see what happened with the Blaby Road factory and the company in general. Good to see you’ve found your home with Sonor. Cheers. (y) :)

TheWolfGuy

Gavin - interesting that you mentioned using Trigger 2. I just bought it (on sale in the states) and am curious what your favorite (or go to) kick and snare presets are. So many to choose from - help me narrow it down! Thx.

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Alannah

I just got the Modern Drummer 2008 videos from the Hudson Music sale and in case I hadn't expressed here enough, your playing is so ridiculously inspiring, especially on this

Glad you like it. I remember that being an extremely high pressure thing to do. An audience of drummers, plus Simon, Todd Sucherman, Derek Roddy, Will Calhoun and a few more watching from the wings and cameras all over the place.

Hi Al Strange

Thank you for your Rhythmic Illusions series in Rhythm magazine back in the 80’s...you completely ruined my brain! I attended a clinic you did for Premier in Nottingham 20 odd years ago and you were awesome; you came across as a top bloke as well as a top, top player. As a Premier guy for many years I was sad to see what happened with the Blaby Road factory and the company in general. Good to see you’ve found your home with Sonor

Perhaps it was when I was playing Pearl drums in the late 90's? Yes it was sad that the Premier factory finally closed.

Hi The Wolf Guy

interesting that you mentioned using Trigger 2. I just bought it (on sale in the states) and am curious what your favorite (or go to) kick and snare presets are. So many to choose from - help me narrow it down!

It's a great plug-in. Actually I don't use any of the standard samples - I made all my own ones.

cheers
Gavin

Al Strange

Hi Alannah

I just got the Modern Drummer 2008 videos from the Hudson Music sale and in case I hadn't expressed here enough, your playing is so ridiculously inspiring, especially on this

Glad you like it. I remember that being an extremely high pressure thing to do. An audience of drummers, plus Simon, Todd Sucherman, Derek Roddy, Will Calhoun and a few more watching from the wings and cameras all over the place.

Hi Al Strange

Thank you for your Rhythmic Illusions series in Rhythm magazine back in the 80’s...you completely ruined my brain! I attended a clinic you did for Premier in Nottingham 20 odd years ago and you were awesome; you came across as a top bloke as well as a top, top player. As a Premier guy for many years I was sad to see what happened with the Blaby Road factory and the company in general. Good to see you’ve found your home with Sonor

Perhaps it was when I was playing Pearl drums in the late 90's? Yes it was sad that the Premier factory finally closed.

Hi The Wolf Guy

interesting that you mentioned using Trigger 2. I just bought it (on sale in the states) and am curious what your favorite (or go to) kick and snare presets are. So many to choose from - help me narrow it down!

It's a great plug-in. Actually I don't use any of the standard samples - I made all my own ones.

cheers
Gavin
Yes, sorry, it’ll have been Pearl...see what your Rhythmic Illusions have done to me?! 😂 (y)

bananers

Wow... Yeah I can imagine. A room full of musicians/drummers is usually stressful enough without big names involved 😁 "Quite Firm" definitely the stand out performance from that - it's a really nice tune, prompted to me to check out the full length version by Laurence Cottle Quintet, stupidly fast!

Hi Gavin! I deeply appreciate you have this space and also the time for replying

I was wondering if you even had the chance, during your period with Porcupine Tree or currently with The Pineapple Thief, to mix your own drums, and in that case were you self-taught? I would really appreciate your perspective in the subject because in addition to your renown drum sound what also impresses me is your presence in the mix

Best wishes from Chile 🇨🇱! Hope to see you around once the Pandemic is over

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Warrenoids

What modification was that if you can remember? I'm interested in building a similar holder for multiple mini cymbals just like yours.

It's all parts from Sonor's "Basic Arm" series - but I had to ask them to thread down to bottom of three of the cymbal holders so that it would give me enough height difference (because the cymbals overlap).
IMG_3652.JPG

I've removed the washers and felts so you can see what's going on with this last one:
IMG_3653.JPG

I will say though - it's pretty heavy.

Hi Felipe

I was wondering if you even had the chance, during your period with Porcupine Tree or currently with The Pineapple Thief, to mix your own drums, and in that case were you self-taught? I would really appreciate your perspective in the subject because in addition to your renown drum sound what also impresses me is your presence in the mix

Absolutely, I was involved with most of the drum mixes in my Porcupine Tree days and all of the recordings that I've made with The Pineapple Thief (and many other things I've done in the last 10 years or more). The drum sound is very important to me and I take a lot of care to record it - so I want that sound to be on the finished record. In other situations where I've handed over all my separte drum files so that an independent engineer can mix them - I'm always disappointed. Having had my own studio for the last 23 years I suppose I have learnt most of it by myself. I have watched engineers in studios and tried to pick up mixing skills - but nothing is quite the same as experimenting for yourself. It's actually really simple - IF the drums are well tuned AND have been well played. Basically you have to try to 'play' the mix you want and balance all the elements of the drumset as you are playing them.

cheers
Gavin

sahilsarin

Hi Gavin!

I hope you are keeping safe. I can't thank you enough for taking out the time to answer all the questions on this thread. It has always been very informative, thought-provoking, and has served me as a guiding light in the midst of all the noise on the internet over the years.

My question(s) are regarding your studio. I have been learning about acoustics for a while since one of my goals is to build a studio for myself, to make professional recordings at home.

Questions:
>Did you design/treat your studio by yourself or hire an acoustician? In the hindsight, would you do it any differently?

>Leaving aside all the gear, what do you consider are the most important elements (ceiling height, room dimensions/shape…) of your live room that is key to your immaculate drum sound? From your experience of playing in so many world-famous rooms, do you miss anything in your live room acoustically?

>What is an optimal room-size for your kit & dynamics?

>Can you recommend any book(s)/ other sources to acquire more knowledge about acoustics especially for treating live rooms?

Thank you for your guidance! :)

Always Grateful
-Sahil Sarin

Please give us a virtual tour (video or photos) of your studio whenever possible.

Warrenoids

Hey Gav, I saw your recent Instagram post.

Did you make the switch from AKG to Earthworks? If you did, I think you'd also like their preamps!

Hi Gavin!

Thank you for your previous reply. Now I have a question regarding your song “Unsettled” with 05ric.

On what time signature is the tom groove on the intro; and do you mind explaining me how you came up with it?

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon!

Warrenoids

Thank you for your previous reply. Now I have a question regarding your song “Unsettled” with 05ric.

On what time signature is the tom groove on the intro; and do you mind explaining me how you came up with it?

Thank you and hope to hear from you soon!
I'm not Gavin, but there is a video of him explaining the intro of Unsettled in YouTube.