Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Jeff

So, my questions:
Where do you put each of these mics, and
Are there any other techniques you use to make your double/triple hits work within a mix?

For the last few years I have been using an AKG D12VR and a Shure Beta 91A both mounted inside the bass drum on suspension mounts like this:

IMG_3631.JPG

They are exactly in the middle of the drum. The AKG is the one at the top and has an EQ setting on the mic itself (indicated by the little blue light).
They are 'phase aligned' with an audio plug-in (inside Logic) called "Auto-Align". Basically it moves the Shure microphone seven samples nearer to the AKG mic. This is the VERY slight difference of distance they are from the batter head. To cut a long story short - it means they just blend the sound together a bit better. I do add additional EQ to both the mics inside the Logic software.

Getting a bass drum to sound good in a mix is a really challenging thing. You can have the best sounding bass drum in the world - and then you add the other instruments into the mix and it just disappears. So hearing the bass drum cut through the mix is absolutely relative to the other instruments around it. Distorted guitars and heavy low bass notes really eat up the frequencies of your bass drum. Many times I will add a sample (with the Steven Slate "Trigger" plug in). That's pretty much the only way those fast notes on your bass drum are going to come through in the mix. Otherwise you have to EQ your natural bass drum sound SO much - it will sound really crappy. If you're playing a style music that requires some fast double bass drum action alongside distorted guitars you'll need a sample that has a really noticeable high frequency 'click' to it. Then you just need to 'blend' it in with the really bass drum mix until it pokes through the music.

best of luck
Gavin

Hi Gavin, I'm super excited for the new Pineapple Thief album.
Two questions, are you still a part of King Crimson?

And did you move your right Speed Cobra beaters even more to the right?

Hi Warrenoids

Two questions, are you still a part of King Crimson?

yes but all touring is postponed until next year.

And did you move your right Speed Cobra beaters even more to the right?

Yes. It is possible to move the right beater across a bit (although it requires some fiddling in order to do so). It's not possible to move the left one.

cheers
Gavin

Thank you for the answer Gavin.

I listened to Hold our Fire and Meltdown back to back, and I found your snare tone to be very interesting to say the least.

Do you have any specific notes that you tune your 12" and 14" snares to?

Fantastic! Very helpful information, indeed. Thanks for your detailed response, and just for having this amazing forum in the first place. You're an inspiration.

I'm curious, though... when did you stop using a pillow in your kick and why? I've seen enough of your videos to know that you used to always use a pillow.

Huge fan, keep up the good work!
-Jeff

Hi Warrenoids

Do you have any specific notes that you tune your 12" and 14" snares to?

No I just tune them by ear to whatever sounds good for the song in question - or generally for the concert I might be playing.

Hi Jeff

I'm curious, though... when did you stop using a pillow in your kick and why? I've seen enough of your videos to know that you used to always use a pillow.

No there are still pillows in there. This first photo outlines the KickPro Pillow leaning up against the batter head:
KickPro Pillow.jpg

and here's the outline of the second pillow. Heavy feathers in a 35x45cms pillow:
Regular pillow.jpg

If you're going to have mics inside the drum then you have to interrupt the 'standing wave' caused by the reflections of the inner shell. Otherwise you'll hear that kind of basket-ball "ping" sound.

cheers
Gavin

The new Pineapple Thief track is beautiful Gavin! Love it, definitely my favourite so far - very excited for the album now ? Marimba sounds great, haha?

Last edited:
Hello Gavin!
I have been using your Signature Series drumsticks for a while now. Great design. I wanted to ask you which spot on the stick do you find gives you the best sound when playing the bell of the cymbal?

Hi Warrenoids

Will your prototype chimes made by Zildjian ever going to be released publicly?

It's a good question - but I don't know the answer to it. As far as I know - there are no plans.

Hi Birch4Punch

I have been using your Signature Series drumsticks for a while now. Great design. I wanted to ask you which spot on the stick do you find gives you the best sound when playing the bell of the cymbal?

I usually hit the bell of cymbal with the shoulder of the stick. About 3 inches down from the tip.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin - I'm sure I speak for everyone on this forum, we thank you for the time you spend answering all our equipment and technique questions, it is always very informative and helpful, not too mention kind. I am using the two bass drum microphone mounting system you suggested (2 Kelly Shu's and Shure M91A and Beta 52 with a heavy feather pillow), best sound I have ever gotten through my PA with in ears. I do have the Kick Pro pillow also, but didn't think of trying it with the feather pillow. I'm curious if it will make even better sound. One question though - Would you please tell me what drop clutch, for your hi hat, you do or did you use, at one time or another? I also have the Sonor 600 series Hi Hat, and the clutch that comes with it doesn't take a drop clutch attachment that I know of or can find any info on. Also fortunately, I did manage to get the last Tama Cobra Clutch that was available in the US about 8 months ago....You're 100 % correct, it's fantastic. I love it!

Thanks, Phil

Hi Phil

Would you please tell me what drop clutch, for your hi hat, you do or did you use, at one time or another?

I used a DW one on a few Porcupine Tree tours - but I got through quite a few of them over the years. They do fit over the Sonor Hex hi hat rod. Tama just made a new one that looks very interesting (Tama STDC7 Sizzle Touch Drop Clutch). If I ever need to do some serious 'drop clutching' again I'll investigate that - (if it will fit over the Hex rod).

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:
Hey Gav, would you mind telling me how did you make the first generation of your cup chime holder? That should be the one with the square pipe, right?

Hi Gavin,

I'd like to ask you a thing about the Buddy Rich memorial concert you've played on back in 2012.
Were you feeling excited to perform the music of one of your heroes and also what did you think about other drummers' performances (Paice, Baker, Weckl...)? Do you know if there's any footage of your performance available?
Thank you for answering.

Hi Warrenoids

would you mind telling me how did you make the first generation of your cup chime holder? That should be the one with the square pipe, right?

yes an engineer friend of mine made that first one - and the second one. It was made with a super heavy piece of solid square bar and I used it for a few years. The second one was a bit lighter and more adjustable. Then I realised I could make the whole thing with Sonor parts (with a small modification) and then a few years ago I found something on Ebay which was pretty much ideal and very light.

Hi Pavel Ljubicic

I'd like to ask you a thing about the Buddy Rich memorial concert you've played on back in 2012.
Were you feeling excited to perform the music of one of your heroes and also what did you think about other drummers' performances (Paice, Baker, Weckl...)? Do you know if there's any footage of your performance available?

Yes it was a blast and the band was amazing (I had a few friends in the band). I didn't see all of Ian Paice or Ginger Baker's set (I could be wrong) but I believe they played arrangements of songs from their own bands (Deep Purple and Cream) rather than play one of Buddy's standard tunes. I know Ian has recently played at Ronnie Scott's Jazz Club with the band so I'm sure he played a lot of Buddy's charts. I watched Dave Weckl that night (in 2012) and he was absolutely amazing ! He told me he went on tour with Buddy's band in the late 90's.
The 2012 show wasn't filmed. I think the whole filming thing was just not viable. Something to know is that prestigious venues charge a hefty 'origination fee' for filming at their venue and in some places that can be an absolute fortune - and it is something you have to consider carefully when making videos of live concerts. That fee - on top of the film crew - can just be too much.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I just got the Modern Drummer 2008 videos from the Hudson Music sale and in case I hadn't expressed here enough, your playing is so ridiculously inspiring, especially on this - and it was a really nice introduction and interview from Simon Phillips, particularly when he was talking about how he used to play in the same big band as your dad, I didn't know that, very cool!

Thank you so much for the continued inspiration, you always give me new ideas and something to constantly work towards :)

Alannah

Last edited:
Hi Gavin. Thank you for your Rhythmic Illusions series in Rhythm magazine back in the 80’s...you completely ruined my brain! I attended a clinic you did for Premier in Nottingham 20 odd years ago and you were awesome; you came across as a top bloke as well as a top, top player. As a Premier guy for many years I was sad to see what happened with the Blaby Road factory and the company in general. Good to see you’ve found your home with Sonor. Cheers. (y) :)

Gavin - interesting that you mentioned using Trigger 2. I just bought it (on sale in the states) and am curious what your favorite (or go to) kick and snare presets are. So many to choose from - help me narrow it down! Thx.

Hi Alannah

I just got the Modern Drummer 2008 videos from the Hudson Music sale and in case I hadn't expressed here enough, your playing is so ridiculously inspiring, especially on this

Glad you like it. I remember that being an extremely high pressure thing to do. An audience of drummers, plus Simon, Todd Sucherman, Derek Roddy, Will Calhoun and a few more watching from the wings and cameras all over the place.

Hi Al Strange

Thank you for your Rhythmic Illusions series in Rhythm magazine back in the 80’s...you completely ruined my brain! I attended a clinic you did for Premier in Nottingham 20 odd years ago and you were awesome; you came across as a top bloke as well as a top, top player. As a Premier guy for many years I was sad to see what happened with the Blaby Road factory and the company in general. Good to see you’ve found your home with Sonor

Perhaps it was when I was playing Pearl drums in the late 90's? Yes it was sad that the Premier factory finally closed.

Hi The Wolf Guy

interesting that you mentioned using Trigger 2. I just bought it (on sale in the states) and am curious what your favorite (or go to) kick and snare presets are. So many to choose from - help me narrow it down!

It's a great plug-in. Actually I don't use any of the standard samples - I made all my own ones.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Alannah

I just got the Modern Drummer 2008 videos from the Hudson Music sale and in case I hadn't expressed here enough, your playing is so ridiculously inspiring, especially on this

Glad you like it. I remember that being an extremely high pressure thing to do. An audience of drummers, plus Simon, Todd Sucherman, Derek Roddy, Will Calhoun and a few more watching from the wings and cameras all over the place.

Hi Al Strange

Thank you for your Rhythmic Illusions series in Rhythm magazine back in the 80’s...you completely ruined my brain! I attended a clinic you did for Premier in Nottingham 20 odd years ago and you were awesome; you came across as a top bloke as well as a top, top player. As a Premier guy for many years I was sad to see what happened with the Blaby Road factory and the company in general. Good to see you’ve found your home with Sonor

Perhaps it was when I was playing Pearl drums in the late 90's? Yes it was sad that the Premier factory finally closed.

Hi The Wolf Guy

interesting that you mentioned using Trigger 2. I just bought it (on sale in the states) and am curious what your favorite (or go to) kick and snare presets are. So many to choose from - help me narrow it down!

It's a great plug-in. Actually I don't use any of the standard samples - I made all my own ones.

cheers
Gavin
Yes, sorry, it’ll have been Pearl...see what your Rhythmic Illusions have done to me?! ? (y)

Back