Gavin Harrison here!

bananers

yes getting all the right notes in the right order is one thing...getting it to sound smooth and swinging with the right dynamics is what takes the real time - but is actually the most rewarding.
Agreed, and something that I fully realise I should be constantly monitoring.

Many thanks to you for the big post explaining the left foot leading and how you break it down - this is something that I'll chip away at, lots to digest! However I'll be taking it straight from the on and off beat left foot ostinato just to get the coordination down. You've given me lots to practice, I really appreciate your time!

Sadly I'm not in a position to get to a full kit in this lockdown so I'm being as disciplined as possible with pads!

Cheers,
Alannah

Some nice challenging exercise-talks here going on at the moment. Love the quarter note triplet stepped hihat over the swing ride!

But to my question: I know you are a huge Porcaro fan so might I ask you to lend me your ears?
On his tutorial on the rosanna shuffle (findable on youtube) he said he plays a ghostnote on the second beat of the third triplet right after the backbeat (which is f... hard to play well). I tried to listen very closely to it but can't hear it. I can hear all other ghostnotes though. Well...do my ears trick me here or did he just accidently said it but did not play it like this?
How would you play it? I think there is a nice displaced version of that groove on one of your dvds, isn't it?

Greetz

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
I know you are a huge Porcaro fan so might I ask you to lend me your ears?
On his tutorial on the rosanna shuffle (findable on youtube) he said he plays a ghostnote on the second beat of the third triplet right after the backbeat (which is f... hard to play well). I tried to listen very closely to it but can't hear it. I can hear all other ghostnotes though. Well...do my ears trick me here or did he just accidently said it but did not play it like this?
How would you play it? I think there is a nice displaced version of that groove on one of your dvds, isn't it?
It's interesting to note that the way Jeff played it on the original record
there are a lot less ghost notes in the pattern to how he explains it (or played it in later years ) than on his instructional VHS/DVD

(Not that I would compare myself to Jeff - but I am guilty of the same thing with the Porcupine Tree song "The Sound Of Muzak". The day I recorded it was one thing - but after playing the song many hundreds of times later it evolved into something that had more ghost notes - and I didn't even realise it or go back and carefully listen to the original until someone pointed it out to me).

The thing about playing a ghost not immediately after a loud snare hit is that you are unlikely to really hear it as the loud note will drown out the following ghost note...but it is actually there. You can actually see it here
I guess it's more of a feel thing. Quite often you can clearly hear the ghosts when you are the person playing them - but by the time it gets mixed and lots of other sounds are on top of the drums - those nuances can easily get lost.

Regarding the technique of ghost notes - I do play them more with my wrist than my fingers - if that makes sense?

cheers
Gavin

drumnut87

hi gavin, love your playing, so very musical!

i have a question, with all thats going on right now with gig cancellations,covid, etc. do you know roughly if your upcoming pineapple thief tour in september is going ahead? obviously if you arent allowed to say anything then thats understandable :)

cdrums21

Gold Member
Hey Gavin,
I keep toying with the idea of picking up a BC-gigster. I know that you have/had a BC-2 and had high praise for it. After playing with it for quite some time now, are you still liking it as much and if so, are you more into the way it has made you aware of your bass drum placement or the actual sound of the bass drum that you are hearing? I've read where drummers say it sounds like a mic'ed up bass drum from the house perspective.

Adam Sayers

Happy Birthday Gavin! I hope the lockdown doesn't affect it too much. Having said that, I imagine being locked away in your home studio isn't too much of a drag!

...more like a series of blushdas and hertas!

On Porcaro... Watching that last Youtube vid of Rossana live. Does anybody else think its odd the way he ends the triplet fill with his right hand and then starts the next bar with his right hand also? Looks so awkward! When playing that fill I've always alternated my hands to start the next bar with my left leaving my right hand to start on the hats again.

Just an observation, don't want anyone on my back here!

Last edited:

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi drumnut87

i have a question, with all thats going on right now with gig cancellations,covid, etc. do you know roughly if your upcoming pineapple thief tour in september is going ahead? obviously if you arent allowed to say anything then thats understandable

yes there is a very big doubt hanging over it of course. We haven't cancelled or postponed yet. We are monitoring what venues in various countries are doing and have heard that some places will allow 30% capacity. However it would be financially crippling to us if we only sold 30% of the tickets and would lose too much money to make it viable. Keep up to date by following The Pineapple Thief on FaceBook.

Hi cdrums21

I keep toying with the idea of picking up a BC-gigster. I know that you have/had a BC-2 and had high praise for it. After playing with it for quite some time now, are you still liking it as much and if so, are you more into the way it has made you aware of your bass drum placement or the actual sound of the bass drum that you are hearing?

actually both - I love it. I really wouldn't want to go on tour without it. The Gigster is easily powerful enough (I have one in my studio) and I keep the volume of it pretty low. I haven't tried the BC-X but that looks even smaller than the Gigster.

Hi Ice Monster

On Porcaro... Watching that last Youtube vid of Rossana live. Does anybody else think its odd the way he ends the triplet fill with his right hand and then starts the next bar with his right hand also? Looks so awkward! When playing that fill I've always alternated my hands to start the next bar with my left leaving my right hand to start on the hats again.

yes that's a strange thing with triplet fills - depending on where you start them you can end up on the downbeat with the left hand. Having said that Jeff plays it in way that certainly sounds smooth.

thanks for the birthday wishes folks !

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin - Recently I ordered a few pairs of SHAR2's from my local music store. When I received them I notice they were light blue (they must had some old pairs laying around)....I have been playing the SHAR2's for a while now and all the pairs I have used are the royal blue color. My fingers got used to them and I love them. Well, now I know why they (Vic Firth) and you switched from the Vic Grip ...OMG, the light blue sticks shredded my fingers...blisters everywhere. I had blisters on callouses. Thankfully I used them up and they are kindling wood now...lol. I love your stick design and the feel of them is perfect. I also enjoyed the Zildjian video chat a few weeks back. I picked up a few of the Sweet Crashes. Love them, fast and brighter than I thought they would be. Looking forward to the new PT album. Stay safe. Hope to see PT in concert in the US in the future. Phil (Keith)

Doraemon

Hi Gavin! I just realized the Tama Cobra Clutch has been discontinued. I saw some older promo videos with you talking about them. Do you still use one? Do they last? If they're no longer available, would you go back to traditional ones? Have you ever seen anything else that works like this? Thanks.
Dora

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi KeithEnglish Phil

Recently I ordered a few pairs of SHAR2's from my local music store. When I received them I notice they were light blue (they must had some old pairs laying around).

yes they were indeed old stock. In fact that version of the stick was only made for a very short period of time before we changed to the latest version...and now you know why.

I also enjoyed the Zildjian video chat a few weeks back. I picked up a few of the Sweet Crashes. Love them, fast and brighter than I thought they would be. Looking forward to the new PT album.

I love the Zildjian Sweet Crashes they really do work well in most situations. The new Pineapple Thief single is released today - here's a video of Bruce singing along.
the album will come out Sept 4th. I believe there will be other single releases before that time.

Hi Doraemon

I just realized the Tama Cobra Clutch has been discontinued. I saw some older promo videos with you talking about them. Do you still use one? Do they last? If they're no longer available, would you go back to traditional ones? Have you ever seen anything else that works like this?

I knew they were going to be discontinued. They do something that all other drop clutches can't do and I can tell you that they are very sturdy and reliable. I'm not using one right at the moment as I'm not really doing a gig that needs that particular facility, but I'll always have it in my armory. I saw that Tama have created another drop clutch called the "Sizzle Touch Drop Clutch" that looks very interesting.

Cheers
Gavin

Doraemon

Hey Gavin,
Thanks, I'm glad to hear they tend to be sturdy, I'm considering to pick up a used one (even those are rare now).

I love the new song!
Did you use any new gear for the recordings?

bananers

Loving the new TPT single Gavin - can't wait to hear the album, like the new direction it's taken!

Glad to see the dates have been officially rescheduled, see you in London next year 😁😎

Hello Gavin, sorry if this has already been asked - but I couldn't find a clear answer on the internet. I'm currently looking for crashes for my drumset, and you always have been a reference to me in terms of sound. I especially enjoyed your cymbal setup used in this video :
and I was wondering wich cymbals they were because I can't find the references and sizes used.
Sorry again if this was already asked
Thank you. :)

bananers

Hey Gavin!

I had a quick thought just now about practising; when you were younger did you tend to practise playing along to songs more than focusing on technique? More recently I've combined home pad technique practice with later jumping on a kit and finding ideas naturally come out in musical applications, but for a vast majority of my initial years I'd only play along to songs, which I felt hindered my technical ability somewhat.

In recent years I'd only practised rudiments because I felt I had to, rather than understanding their musical purpose. I suppose I'm just wondering how much of your initial practice years were purely "song-learning" based and how much of that, if at all, helped you apply technique later on?

Sorry if it's more of a discussion rather than a direct question!

Cheers,
Alannah

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Samuel Balavoine

I'm currently looking for crashes for my drumset, and you always have been a reference to me in terms of sound. I especially enjoyed your cymbal setup used in this video :

The Zildjian cymbals in that particular video (to the best of my memory) are 13" K Hi Hats, 16" Oriental Trash China, 5 custom bells, 18" Crash Of Doom, 2 more custom bells, 15" K Crash, 20" K Ride, 18" K Custom Crash, 12" Oriental Trash China, 18" Z China (discontinued).

Hi Alannah

I had a quick thought just now about practising; when you were younger did you tend to practise playing along to songs more than focusing on technique? More recently I've combined home pad technique practice with later jumping on a kit and finding ideas naturally come out in musical applications, but for a vast majority of my initial years I'd only play along to songs, which I felt hindered my technical ability somewhat.
In recent years I'd only practised rudiments because I felt I had to, rather than understanding their musical purpose. I suppose I'm just wondering how much of your initial practice years were purely "song-learning" based and how much of that, if at all, helped you apply technique later on?

In my early years I pretty much only played along to records. My Dad would have me play along to all kinds of music (mostly jazz based). I guess (in the time before I had proper lessons) I developed my own techniques that I felt I needed to be able to play along (provided that it wasn't crazy fast or complicated). When I started having lessons and studied grip, rudiments, reading etc - I pretty much hated it as it felt so detached from playing along to the records. As the years went by I started to recognise where the general improvement of technique became helpful. I didn't really get serious about studying until I was about 17, 18 years old...but I always continued playing along to recordings and felt that I was developing some kind of musical understanding.

cheers
Gavin

bananers

When I started having lessons and studied grip, rudiments, reading etc - I pretty much hated it as it felt so detached from playing along to the records. As the years went by I started to recognise where the general improvement of technique became helpful. I didn't really get serious about studying until I was about 17, 18 years old...but I always continued playing along to recordings and felt that I was developing some kind of musical understanding.
Yes I remember being given a sheet of rudiments when I started lessons and told to learn them, without any context it was hard for me to see them as anything more than a boring exercise. In the last five years I started understanding the importance of good technique and only within the last 2 has that practice started to seep into my subconscious when playing grooves and fills. I suppose I've always relied on my ear however it's nice now that I can incorporate technique into my practice to make the musical part more tasteful and interesting.

Thanks as always for your insight, many apologies for my waffling. 😂