Gavin Harrison here!

MGC101

Thanks Gavin. Spent the morning looking at the CRS website and this would be the exact solution to my problem. The language on the site describes it as a 'wooing' sound, and that is spot on. The snare (an i5) was the biggest culprit, as the crash above would cause a very distinct warping rumble sound as it vibrated into the i5. Think I'll start with one CRS and go from there. I don't mind a traditional tripod mic stand for the snare if it comes down to it, but I'm thinking this will allow me to continue micing it from the rack.

Thanks again Gavin! Looking forward to seeing you sometime this year.
-Mike

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
I don't mind a traditional tripod mic stand for the snare if it comes down to it, but I'm thinking this will allow me to continue micing it from the rack.
In fact I now mic the snare drum from a traditional stand so it's not on the rack

Cheers
Gavin

MGC101

Yeah I may very well resort to just using the tripod stand as it isn't nearly as obtrusive as the other mic stands would be. The goal was to have literally everything hanging off two Gibraltar stealth racks on either side of the kick, which would leave a very clean floor space free of the dozens of both cymbal and microphone tripod legs. And minus the aforementioned rumble, it works even better than I hoped. It's worth noting how sturdy this Gibraltar stuff is...it's almost hilarious seeing how many things are hanging off these two very low bars, looks almost like there isn't a rack at all.

Ordering a set of the CRS tomorrow. Thanks again for the insight Gavin!

-Mike

sillypilot

Hi Gavin - Thank you for all the wonderful drumming and inspiration for the rest of us!! I've read through your thread as much as I could, so I apologize if this has already been asked and I didn't catch it. For your second floor tom, how do you pick which size to follow your 15 (between the 16 and 18)? Thanks!!
Jorge

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Gavin - Thank you for all the wonderful drumming and inspiration for the rest of us!! I've read through your thread as much as I could, so I apologize if this has already been asked and I didn't catch it. For your second floor tom, how do you pick which size to follow your 15 (between the 16 and 18)? Thanks!!
Hi Jorge,
For a long time I used 14" and 16" floor toms. I moved to a 15" floor tom because I couldn't really get the sound I wanted from a 14" (plus for some reason I always had a LOT of sustain from a 14" in the tuning range that I wanted). The 15" was magic ! So then I played 15" & 16" - but to get a good pitch difference between the two I had to tune the 16" super low and that affected the tone and feel of it - so I switched to an 18" as the second floor tom and I love it. So for the last 8 years it's been 15" & 18" all the way.

cheers
Gavin

Doraemon

Hi Gavin,
I'm a big fan and forever grateful for all you do as an artist.
I have a question about your signature sticks. I'm having a hard time finding the original, but I'm close to getting one.. I was wondering if there is a way to tell if it's SHAR or SHAR2? On product photos somehow the blue looks lighter on the old one. Is it? I am curious how the second version happened. Were you unhappy with the original, what exactly was changed? Will there be a SHAR3?

Dora

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
I have a question about your signature sticks. I'm having a hard time finding the original, but I'm close to getting one.. I was wondering if there is a way to tell if it's SHAR or SHAR2? On product photos somehow the blue looks lighter on the old one. Is it? I am curious how the second version happened. Were you unhappy with the original, what exactly was changed? Will there be a SHAR3?
Hi Dora
the shape and size of the stick is identical. The only thing that changed was the grip material. Originally it had 'Vic Grip' (that they put on a few of their models) - however because it was a relatively new thing VF didn't know what the long term effects of 'Vic Grip' might be. It didn't store well under extreme temperatures so they stopped making it. So I switched to a kind of matt type paint (slightly different shade of dark blue to the original) and we called it SHAR2. There's no plan for a SHAR3.

cheers
Gavin

Doraemon

Hi Dora
the shape and size of the stick is identical. The only thing that changed was the grip material. Originally it had 'Vic Grip' (that they put on a few of their models) - however because it was a relatively new thing VF didn't know what the long term effects of 'Vic Grip' might be. It didn't store well under extreme temperatures so they stopped making it. So I switched to a kind of matt type paint (slightly different shade of dark blue to the original) and we called it SHAR2. There's no plan for a SHAR3.

cheers
Gavin
Hi Gavin. Thank you for your explanation! Amazing sticks!

Glad to see the news about the tour and album, can't wait! I hope there'll be some US dates, too...

drumnut87

hi gavin, love your work, thanks for being an inspiration <3

just bought tickets to see the pineapple thief in manchester in september, im really looking forward to seeing you live!! <3

sillypilot

Hi Jorge,
For a long time I used 14" and 16" floor toms. I moved to a 15" floor tom because I couldn't really get the sound I wanted from a 14" (plus for some reason I always had a LOT of sustain from a 14" in the tuning range that I wanted). The 15" was magic ! So then I played 15" & 16" - but to get a good pitch difference between the two I had to tune the 16" super low and that affected the tone and feel of it - so I switched to an 18" as the second floor tom and I love it. So for the last 8 years it's been 15" & 18" all the way.

cheers
Gavin
Thank you Gavin!!! I appreciate all the help and replies in this forum. You are a role model of a drummer and person!! See you at the show!!

Jorge

bananers

Hey Gavin,

Just a quick thought that popped into my mind reading the conversation about your stick models;
Do you find a difficulty in the gripping of the Matte paint style? I've tried your sticks and VF sticks with the Vic Grip and there's a huge difference - to me the matte slips too much, just wondering how you get on with that as it must have been a fair change!

Alannah

Last edited:

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Just a quick thought that popped into my mind reading the conversation about your stick models;
Do you find a difficulty in the gripping of the Matte paint style? I've tried your sticks and VF sticks with the Vic Grip and there's a huge difference - to me the matte slips too much, just wondering how you get on with that as it must have been a fair change!
Hi Alannah
the answer for me is this stuff...pure magic. My hands have not been in better shape thanks to this. http://shop.bigbangdist.com/c/brands-n-z_sex-wax

products35694-1200x1200-1094019.jpg

cheers
Gavin

bananers

Hi Alannah
the answer for me is this stuff...pure magic. My hands have not been in better shape thanks to this. http://shop.bigbangdist.com/c/brands-n-z_sex-wax

View attachment 90694

cheers
Gavin
Ahhhhh! I see, I've seen this stuff around yeah - I suppose the Vic Grip material tends to give bad blisters right? That's good to know - I don't personally have much of an issue with gripping on normal sticks but it would be interesting to try.

Thanks!
Alannah

Doraemon

Hi Gavin,

I'm a little nervous about your tour, please put your healths first and stay safe. I'm sure fans would support any change if needed. Btw, I've heard holding drumsticks can reduce the chance of infection by not allowing one to touch their face. :)

I was able to buy a SHAR1, the paint improved a lot indeed.
DSC03067 (1).jpg

A question regarding Pineapple Thief, I looked through setlist.fm and it seems they've only played Build A World before you joined, is that right? It's my favorite song of the Pre-Gavin era, and I keep imagining the things you'd do with it, hope it'll happen one day. Now I can't wait to hear that new LP (hopefully in digital form) 'Uncovering the Tracks' with 4 songs re-worked by you. What were the things that you were looking for in old songs when choosing them?

Dora

Last edited:

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Dora

What were the things that you were looking for in old songs when choosing them?

I was just looking for songs that gave me some inspirational idea that I could start with. I try to hear the songs as if they were new songs - and imagine what could I bring to them. There was no point in me just replaying whatever the previous drummer had already played. There is a plan to do some more back catalog songs like this.

cheers
Gavin

Doraemon

Hi Dora

What were the things that you were looking for in old songs when choosing them?

I was just looking for songs that gave me some inspirational idea that I could start with. I try to hear the songs as if they were new songs - and imagine what could I bring to them. There was no point in me just replaying whatever the previous drummer had already played. There is a plan to do some more back catalog songs like this.

cheers
Gavin
Hey Gavin,

Thanks, that's a great plan. :) Sounds like we may hear something totally new then... Can't wait!
Cheers,

Dora

bananers

Just saw the new Sonor video, love the new kit Gavin! I absolutely adore birch kits, can't wait to hear what it sounds like!

Alannah

Hi Gavin - it was great watching the Sonor video the other day, even if it was only 25 mins....:( Hopefully you’ll be able to do another one some time in the future. Question for you, if you don‘t mind - Love your new Sonor kit, what was your reason for going with Birch this time? I read what Sonor says about Birch versus Maple, what, if anything, could I expect from a Birch kit that isn’t written somewhere? I’ve been playing with the configurations on the site (you’re correct, it’s pretty cool), Sonor will be my next kit in a few months. Thanks - Stay safe, Phil
PS - just changed all my hoops on my current kit to S Hoops - love them!

AbhiramSMenon

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for all the inspiration. Watching Blackest Eyes live (Chicago,2005) on the internet in my late teens knocked me out of my comfort zone and opened my eyes to the incredible possibilities of the instrument. I missed watching Porcupine Tree in Mumbai, India cause I had exams going on right during the gig which was terrible. But then finally I got to watch you live up close, good seats, at the King Crimson gig in Oakland California (September, 2019). Mind blowing! Very grateful!

So the question:

You spoke about Ted Reed's Syncopation during you live video chat on Youtube recently, where you mentioned practicing patterns on the bass drum and filling the remaining triplets with the left hand. During this chat you mentioned few specific famous pages in the book, which you laminated separately. What are those pages? Couldn't find them on the internet.

Thanks

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi KeithEnglish

Question for you, if you don‘t mind - Love your new Sonor kit, what was your reason for going with Birch this time? I read what Sonor says about Birch versus Maple, what, if anything, could I expect from a Birch kit that isn’t written somewhere?

Basically I thought I'd try it for a change. My previous Sonor sets were all maple and I haven't had a birch set since the early 1980's (my Yamaha Recording Custom set). Still sounds like a great Sonor set to me:

Hi AbhiramSMenon

You spoke about Ted Reed's Syncopation during you live video chat on Youtube recently, where you mentioned practicing patterns on the bass drum and filling the remaining triplets with the left hand. During this chat you mentioned few specific famous pages in the book, which you laminated separately. What are those pages? Couldn't find them on the internet.

They are from Ted Reed's book. Pages 38 - 45. I don't know if you find them on the internet. It's definitley a book worth buying !

cheers
Gavin