Gavin Harrison here!

HI Torkerz

Just a question on bass drum sizes... I've played a 22x18 bass drum for a number of years and I am looking to buy a Yamaha Recording custom.
Shell sizes would be 10x 7.5 12x8 and 14x13 with a 14x6 snare.I wanted to choose either a 22x16 or 20x16 bass drum. My genre of playing tends to be all round but leaning to funk and rock. I was tempted by the 20 due to articulation and also space to have my Toms lower, but I was worried about losing low end a 22 could offer. In your experience gigging and recording, what would you generally recommend a good 'all rounder' to be? I could get both, but my budget is at its limit!

In my experience - I would go with a 22"x16" or 22x17. As an 'all rounder' drumset I would also go with a 15" floor tom too. A 14" floor tom in my opinion isn't quite big enough.

Hi Stevesmithfan

On your DVD’s you have EV microphones on your toms about an inch or so from the edge of the drums facing straight down very close to the head. Is this position used to cut down on cymbal bleed?

yes that was the idea - but I don't use those EV mics any more. They sounded good (and are great on tour)- but I now prefer the AKG 414s in the studio. However I wouldn't take the 414s on tour as I'd be concerned about them getting bashed around. They are a bit more delicate than the EVs.

Hi Juan Exposito

thanks for the interview - I really enjoyed it and you did a great job editing it all together!

Your drum sound in your solo album "Cheating the Polygraph" is incredible, as always, but this time I think the drums sound bigger, puncher, crisper...awesome. Did you do something special/different with this sound or it´s just me, hearing your drums with less music layers as for example with Porcupine Tree or The Pineapple Thief?

I think the drums just sound better when mixed with 'real' acoustic instruments. When you try to mix drums with distorted electric guitar it becomes very difficult because the sound of the distortion eats up SO many frequencies and the drums get buried. Some guitarists go crazy and track 4 or more distorted guitar tracks and it eats up everything so the drums end up sounding really thin. The same can happen with some synth sounds that have extended frequency ranges (especially in the low subs and the mid frequencies). 

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin

Here's a question on a topic that seems like it's been over-discussed, yet I don't think I've seen it appear on this thread (apologies if it has). I'm curious as to how you go about avoiding unwanted bass drum "flutter" - I'm talking about when the beater bounces off the head a little after the main stroke. Do you prefer to "bury" the beater or let it rebound? I find burying the beater sometimes affects my balance at the kit because of my right leg tensing up and taking too much of my body weight. I was wondering if you've ever run into this issue?

All the best,
Robin

Hi Drummerrobin

I'm curious as to how you go about avoiding unwanted bass drum "flutter" - I'm talking about when the beater bounces off the head a little after the main stroke. Do you prefer to "bury" the beater or let it rebound?

yes it's something I'm very aware of. I play both ways - but I REALLY don't want to hear any 'flutter'. I sit pretty low so it doesn't affect my balance if I leave the beater on the head - I'm not putting any body weight onto the pedal by leaning down on it. I also have a reasonably muted bass drum sound - so it doesn't make much difference to the sound - (unlike a jazz style bass drum that has no damping inside and the heads are tuned up quite high) - then you can really hear a difference in sound plus some 'flutter' if you are using a hard beater. I think both ways are fine as long as it doesn't have a bad affect on the sound.

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin!

I had just a quick question about something I saw recently online, regarding the Cymbal Resonance System. I was just wondering how they work and what prompted you to use them?

They seem like a really interesting product but fairly new, I hadn't really seen or heard much about them aside from some posts on Instagram!

Alannah

Hi Bananers

I had just a quick question about something I saw recently online, regarding the Cymbal Resonance System. I was just wondering how they work and what prompted you to use them?

I was actually visiting my friend Morgan Agren in Sweden and he had them on his drumset. He gave me a quick demo and hooked me up with the guy who runs the CRS company. Basically they work in a similar way that isolated tom mounts work. They help isolate the cymbal from the vibration of the stand - especially helpful if you use a drum rack - or mount a cymbal off the same stand as a tom and mics might be mounted on the same hardware too. I really like them

Cheers
Gavin

Good Morning! My name is Keith Anselmo from New Orleans, LA. I was wondering, when it comes to setting up a drum set for maximum comfort and playability, is it better to position the toms first and add cymbals where they are wanted? Or start with cymbal placement and then build around that? May seem like a strange question because most would probably think things will end up in the same place regardless but where I want my toms to be is always effected by where I want my ride cymbal to be. It seems as though I'm having to sacrifice placement on one or the other.

Very Sincerely,

Last edited:
I was actually visiting my friend Morgan Agren in Sweden and he had them on his drumset. He gave me a quick demo and hooked me up with the guy who runs the CRS company. Basically they work in a similar way that isolated tom mounts work. They help isolate the cymbal from the vibration of the stand - especially helpful if you use a drum rack - or mount a cymbal off the same stand as a tom and mics might be mounted on the same hardware too. I really like them

Ahh, I see! That's very interesting, I can imagine they'd make a huge difference to the sound - I was intrigued because as far as I know (I guess I could be wrong!) there isn't really anything out there like them. I'd love to try them sometime to hear the difference.

Thanks!
Alannah

Hi Keith Anselmo

I was wondering, when it comes to setting up a drum set for maximum comfort and playability, is it better to position the toms first and add cymbals where they are wanted? Or start with cymbal placement and then build around that?

It's a hard question because I think everyone does what suits themselves. I guess some of it depends on how large or small a drumset you are planning on setting up and what kind of music you'll be playing. I try to keep the elements that I'm going to be playing the most on (hi hat snare and ride cymbal) within comfortable distance and not things that are hard to reach. If I was pretty much exclusively playing jazz I'd probably move my ride down low close to the bass drum as I don't want to strain playing on a high ride cymbal all night just so I can include another tom. I have played the same layout for about the last 30 years or more - 3 toms across the top of the bass drum and 2 floor toms. I keep them at sensible heights and angles so I can minimise the amount of movements. I do keep the crashes up high enough away from the toms as I don't want to overload the toms mics with cymbals and likewise the hi hat is not super close to the snare drum mic - so there is a 'mix-friendly' element to consider. It also depends how tall you are, what height you want to sit at, how long your reach is and how far back from the bass drum/snare drum you feel you want to be. I know I sit lower than most people and also a lot further back.

best of luck
Gavin

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. This is very helpful!

P.S. You’re playing is very inspiring and thank you for all you have contributed to the world of drumming!

Gavin, I can not thank you enough for the constant inspiration and joy you bring me with your playing and passion for music. I am sure you’ve been asked this before so I apologize in advance, but how can one simulate your bells that you have in your kit without cutting cymbals of their own? I don’t have the tools nor the extra cymbals to do that. Thank you!

Hi SirSwingsAlot

how can one simulate your bells that you have in your kit without cutting cymbals of their own?

That's a tough one because the Zildjian ones that I have are not commercially available. Other bells I've seen/heard don't really sound the same. I have seen companies that offer "bell liberation" but I think that depends on you submitting a cymbal in the first place.

best of luck
Gavin

Hi Gavin!

I know you've been listening to American jazz and funk when you were younger, but have you ever cited the old British drummers as an inspiration? For example: Ginger Baker, Ian Paice...

Last edited:
Hi Pavel Ljubicic

I know you've been listening to American jazz and funk when you were younger, but have you ever cited the old British drummers as an inspiration? For example: Ginger Baker, Ian Paice...

I think my influence from British drummers came from a generation later. Although I was aware of Ginger Baker, Ian Paice, Carl Palmer, Keith Moon, Ringo Starr etc. I was more into Simon Phillips, Tony Beard and Steve Jansen.

cheers
Gavin

Gavin, I can not thank you enough for the constant inspiration and joy you bring me with your playing and passion for music. I am sure you’ve been asked this before so I apologize in advance, but how can one simulate your bells that you have in your kit without cutting cymbals of their own? I don’t have the tools nor the extra cymbals to do that. Thank you!
SirSwingsAlot, Sabian makes a set that's modeled after Gavin's "bells". I saw them at NAMM 2018, and asked a Sabian rep if they were modeled after Gavin's set. He said yes, which I found interesting since Gavin is a Zildjian endorser. You can find them here:

Gavin, I'm just curious if you're aware of these. I don't remember them sounding quite the same as yours, but they seemed at least in the same ballpark.

Also, I'd just like to THANK YOU for the constant inspiration! I look forward to seeing you at the Greek Theater in LA with King Crimson. I'll be the one way in the back with the giant binoculars focused right on you the whole time! :) Come to think of it, I'll be seeing you AGAIN in December with The Pineapple Thief. I'm really looking forward to both shows!

SirSwingsAlot, Sabian makes a set that's modeled after Gavin's "bells". I saw them at NAMM 2018, and asked a Sabian rep if they were modeled after Gavin's set. He said yes, which I found interesting since Gavin is a Zildjian endorser. You can find them here:

Gavin, I'm just curious if you're aware of these. I don't remember them sounding quite the same as yours, but they seemed at least in the same ballpark.

Also, I'd just like to THANK YOU for the constant inspiration! I look forward to seeing you at the Greek Theater in LA with King Crimson. I'll be the one way in the back with the giant binoculars focused right on you the whole time! :) Come to think of it, I'll be seeing you AGAIN in December with The Pineapple Thief. I'm really looking forward to both shows!
TK-421: They sound as if they are quite thin.
To SirSwingsAlot: try Paiste Cup Chimes , you may find them a bit thicker than Gavins bells though.

Hi Gavin.
My name is Pierfrancesco.
My question is..what do you think about the modern drumming based probably most on gospel chops? Do you think that what is searching for the current modern drummer is not musicality but an high technical and scenographic level?
I tell you this because during my gigs I try to share my little musicality, because I don't like technical demonstration or play millions of notes, and I notice that it is too little.
Thanks a lot!

Hi Pier Vario

My question is..what do you think about the modern drumming based probably most on gospel chops? Do you think that what is searching for the current modern drummer is not musicality but an high technical and scenographic level?

Gospel Chops has been popular for a few years now and within that style - the technically energetic drumming is very much part of it. I personally don't have any experience of playing that kind of music so I can't comment on whether I think it's musically suitable or not. I guess energetic drumming will always have a place on YouTube as it interests and impresses so many viewers - so therefore it might appear to be more popular than other styles at the moment. It don't think it necessarily outlines the future of 'modern drumming'.

cheers
Gavin

Good evening Gavin,

I came across this concert on my Youtube travels and I was trying to figure out what kit you're playing here? I thought it might have been an old Tama but I couldn't quite see the badge closely enough! Love the additional "gong tom" thing going on beside the 8" too.

Alannah

Hi Bananers

ooh that was 36 years ago. That was my Gretsch drumset that I bought in 1981. 2 x 24" bass drums (that sounded horrible) plus 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, toms and 16" floor tom - all with Ludwig hardware. On that video I had the 15" up over the hi hat (which I really liked) then a 10, 12, 13 across the front and the 16" floor tom.

here's a slightly bigger (and harder to play) version with the 15, 10, 12, 13, 14 across the front and the 16" floor tom. It would appear I was in a Billy Cobham/Simon Phillips mode at that moment. Fun times !

Renaissance 1.jpg

cheers
Gavin

Back