Gavin Harrison here!

Moonloop

hey
i wanna ask you what do u think of Dave Weckl techniques and do u think he is the number one drummer in the jazz world ?
and have u considered playing in some fusion jazz bands ?

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
To jazz musicians Dave Weckl is not even a jazz musician really.
And since there aren't any number ones anyway, I don't think one
of the greats himself will suggest one.

Moonloop

Well My friend.. I think you better educate Your self musically :)

There's a top a ten in the jazz drum world ..
And dave weck isl Not a jazz musician ?? How come ???

tobiashula

Hi Gavin,

One Question about the PT shows:

Does the click/the samples (f.e. the drums on "Sentimental") come from Richard's MacBook? Because there is a kind of sequencer on his desktop all the time.

best regards,
Tobias

Fox622003

Gold Member
Well My friend.. I think you better educate Your self musically :)

There's a top a ten in the jazz drum world ..
And dave weck isl Not a jazz musician ?? How come ???
It's impossible to truly quantize a professional's skill, there may be a top ten taking into account a group of voters; but once the basics are fulfilled, the rest is purely subjective, the best player for one might not have a nice groove for another.
I am afraid it is your comment that's very ignorant and unmusical, as well as very out of place.

Fox.

supermac

Check out Dave playing jazz with the Chick Corea Accoustic Band from late 80s.

Some great playing...

SantiBanks

Check out Dave playing jazz with the Chick Corea Accoustic Band from late 80s.

Some great playing...
Check out Vinnie Colaiuta's playing with Chick's Acoustic Band in the mid 90ies (he replaced Weckl. Antonio Sanchez from the Pat Metheny Group replaced Colaiuta in the acoustic band).
Maybe, you'll understand what Swiss means :) He's talking about the difference between a drummer and a musician. Weckl is a jazz/fusion drummer which doesn't make him a musician perse…

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Actually I wanted to say that while pop/rock guys think of Dave Weckl as a jazz drummer, many jazz musicians don't see him as a jazz drummer.
I didn't want to make a difference between drummer and musician.

dtl

just curious...on the sequenced stuff like on the intro's to "what happens now" and "sentimental" are those your percussion ideas or are you just reacting to richard's ? (assuming he came up with them.)

Austin DV

just curious...on the sequenced stuff like on the intro's to "what happens now" and "sentimental" are those your percussion ideas or are you just reacting to richard's ? (assuming he came up with them.)
Those parts are actually not sequenced, they are just a loop of Gavin's playing put through various filters (sentimental) or just a part played on an african drum (djembe I believe for What Happens Now).

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Moonloop

i wanna ask you what do u think of Dave Weckl techniques and do u think he is the number one drummer in the jazz world ?

Dave has an amazing technique - but I don't put drummers in any kind of order.

and have u considered playing in some fusion jazz bands ?

I used to play in local fusion bands back in the 80's. I don't get asked anymore. I did however play some jazz/fusion/funk on Ed Pooles' last two CDs - there some audio clips here http://www.myspace.com/edpoole

Hi tobiashula

One Question about the PT shows:
Does the click/the samples (f.e. the drums on "Sentimental") come from Richard's MacBook? Because there is a kind of sequencer on his desktop all the time.

no it comes off a computer operated by my drum tech Jason. The same computer also handles all the films.

Hi dtl

as Austin DV said - they are loops of me playing. "Sentimental" is put through a filter - and "What Happens Now" is just a Remo soundshape (with a spring attached to it) played with a pencil - and doubled in stereo.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:
Hey Gavin,

I've been doing some pretty intense soul searching lately. Much of it has to do with want I want to do with my life. I want to pursue drumming in some type of format for my career and a lot of the advice that I've been getting has suggested that I need to be a well rounded percussionist in order to be successful. But some elements of percussion (mallet instruments) have never really appealed to me. I want to be a drum set player. Should I take the advice from others and learn to play a little of everything or get really good at one thing?

Yuriy Kononov

Inspired here.

Hello again, Mr. Harrison. I totally understand that you don't have time to listen to my whole record, but may I be so rude to ask your attention just to one song, please? I am sorry for my persistence, but, man, you have changed my life - all my drumming is because of you, that's true.

The song's named "Emptiness Beyond The Horizon", located here: http://www.myspace.com/somnolentband/

You may not even answer, that's ok. Just wanted you to know that you inspire me so much. Hope to see you live one day - I never did because of the poor country I live in, where Porcupine Tree have never performed yet. I wish you to be always inspired in the things that you do, patience and calmness in your life and all the best, really.

Hi Gavin,
hope you dont get me wrong.
I was wondering what you think about Danny Carey's style of drumming.
Personally I think that he's one of the few drummers who REALLY has his own style next to his incredible technics.
Just curious what you think :)

Thanks,
Chris

drumlove84

Hi everybody....it does exist any transcription of the intro of slippin' away???I love this intro and I'd like to practice on it....somebody can help me!!!

thanks

Sjogras

Silver Member
I have a question regarding "No twilight within the courts of the sun". I counted it to 21/8, hope thats correct. During most of the song I find that following the bassline helps alot to keep time, but how do you keep time during the piano solo?

By the way, I was quite surprised to hear you play straight 16ths on the BD ;) Only two bars though, but they are long bars.