Gavin Harrison here!

Sjogras

Silver Member
I don't know how you can count three through it!!! kheddar was correct. It's 7/8 split into two bars of 7/16. The end of the song is 5/8 (and is the same pattern as the start of "Slippin'Away") I think you'll find a transcription of that part earlier in this thread.

cheers
Gavin
Hah, thanks. Makes more sense now, although I never really counted that groove since I never had any problem playing it. Was just wondering out of curiousity.

And by the way, I never actually tried counting 3 beats, I counted 6 beats per bar, but that didn't feel quite right.. Gymnastics for the mind though! I really find it amusing playing the "wrong" beat. when jamming Sound of muzak the other day I played 4/4 over the verses. Do you ever do such things too? :)

Florian

Gold Member
Hey Gavin!

Just curious as to what your mix is in your IEMs when you play live. Do you mix more of your set or more of the other PT fellas?

Thanks!

F

scottishhaggis

Hi everyone, before I decide whether to buy a double bass pedal or not, wanted some advice from anyone. I've been playing drums for only 4 months now. I'm getting better everyday, I feel it and hear it. Since I ever started thinking about playing drums, I really was imagining myself as double bass player. Is it worth buying a double bass pedal now? Even though I'm not an advanced player yet, but still, with already starting to play double pedal now I think my double bass playing would starting to develop already in the starting period of my playing. Or shall I now hurry with this. Thanks in advance.

Robert

y0avz

Hello Gavin,

One thing that is on my mind lately...

I saw your performance on the modern drummer festival (which was great btw),and after

watching and hearing some of your fills it brings me to the question..

How do you know where the one is, do you count along during the fill, or is it an instinct

kind of thing..

Thanks A alot

y0avz.

lperry

G'day again Gavin
You recently said that Half Light is surprisingly difficult to play on drums. Is that because it's hard to keep the sparse slow tempo flowing, or are you referring to something else?
Cheers.

lukaperc

Hi Gavin,

I'm now studying drum in a music college, and I'd like to play ''19 days'' for the last performance of my studies, but I'd like to play it with a band. So, is there somewhere I can find the charts for the other instruments in this song?

Thanks
Luka

Fox622003

Gold Member
Hi Gavin,

I'm now studying drum in a music college, and I'd like to play ''19 days'' for the last performance of my studies, but I'd like to play it with a band. So, is there somewhere I can find the charts for the other instruments in this song?

Thanks
Luka
I think he's answered this already. The version on Rhythmic Horizons comes with the MIDI of "19 Days", so you should be able to extract all the instruments from there.

Fox.

daniele

Hi Gavin

I've listen a beautiful album Of Nik Kershaw "The works", and Jeff Porcaro e Vinnie Colaiuta, in this album, reminded me of you. It was one of your influences?

moncholo

Hey Gavin,

Thanks so much for taking the time to pop here and our questions. We really appreciate it!

My question is regarding your drumming on Black Dahlia. Your grooves on that song are just so laid back and played with wonderful feel and sound.

Did you play all of the song with brushes in one take?
During the verses, are you riding 16ths on the snare with your right hand and 8th notes with your left foot on the hihat?

I'm just getting into playing with brushes. What album/s should i check out that have some nice playing with brushes?

Fox622003

Gold Member
Thanks, man!
Any good "brush playing" albums to recommend?
Well, I can't really think of whole albums played prominently with brushes, you might wanna ask Gavin on that one.

Here's a couple of links you might find useful, though.

Link One.

Link Two.

Link Three.

Link Four.

I don't know, just different styles and techniques. With Erskine's videos, Steve and Jeff's short turorials and playing, and some of the other pop and modern grooves, you're very much set for some long hours of Brush practice.

Oh, and don't miss this little fun solo!

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
-Check out some classic jazz albums, they always have a ballad or other tunes with brushes.
-Jeff Hamilton plays brushes quite often.
-Clayton Cameron basically only plays brushes.
-Herbie Hancocks album "River - The Joni Letters" is completely played with brushes,
the drummer funnily is Vinnie Colaiuta.

crystalfunky

I have some other questions.

1. In "Remember me lover" at around 3:00 moving from the refrain to a kinda Bridge or B-part you are doin a crazy fill over the toms, but backwards.

How do you coordinate that? What is the sticking?

2. When thinking about the old drummer of porcupine tree, what comes in your head? Did you copy some of the things from him,
or fills, Maybe you can say somethin in generell about Chris.

3. When thinkin about "Drive the hearse" (which is an incredibly beautiful song ( !!!! )), how do you start thinkin ( or feelin ) about what you wanna express in that song.
How is the progress about what you wanna express in that song or another.

Thanks Gavin!

Last edited:

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Florian

Just curious as to what your mix is in your IEMs when you play live. Do you mix more of your set or more of the other PT fellas?

I try to have an even balance of everyone. It's hard to make a good mix when your own instrument is making so much noise to start with. If you're playing keyboards it would be a different story.

Hi y0avz

I saw your performance on the modern drummer festival (which was great btw),and after
watching and hearing some of your fills it brings me to the question..How do you know where the one is, do you count along during the fill, or is it an instinct kind of thing..

I always know where 'one' is. When I play a fill I relate it to the pulse and the time signature.

Hi lperry

You recently said that Half Light is surprisingly difficult to play on drums. Is that because it's hard to keep the sparse slow tempo flowing, or are you referring to something else?

Yes it's hard to keep a slow sparse tempo - and play just quarter notes on the ride whilst playing the other stuff between the bass drum and snare drum.

Hi daniele

I've listen a beautiful album Of Nik Kershaw "The works", and Jeff Porcaro e Vinnie Colaiuta, in this album, reminded me of you. It was one of your influences?

Yes I remember listening to that record back in the '80s and really liking it.

Hi moncholo

My question is regarding your drumming on Black Dahlia. Your grooves on that song are just so laid back and played with wonderful feel and sound.
Did you play all of the song with brushes in one take?
During the verses, are you riding 16ths on the snare with your right hand and 8th notes with your left foot on the hihat?

Yes I think I played it one take - I had to prepare a stick to be right next to the ride cymbal so I could grab it really quick at the change over point. I don't think there's any hi hat foot stuff going on in the verses at all.

I'm just getting into playing with brushes. What album/s should i check out that have some nice playing with brushes?

I always liked the way Steve Gadd and Jeff Hamilton played brushes. They seem to make great musical sense to my ears.

Hi crystalfunky

In "Remember me lover" at around 3:00 moving from the refrain to a kinda Bridge or B-part you are doin a crazy fill over the toms, but backwards.
How do you coordinate that? What is the sticking?

How do you mean "backwards"? It just goes up the toms RLRLRLR

2. When thinking about the old drummer of porcupine tree, what comes in your head? Did you copy some of the things from him, or fills

I had to learn a lot of the old songs that Chris had played on. So I took the parts that he'd created and tried to play them in my own way. He's a mighty fine drummer!

3. When thinkin about "Drive the hearse" (which is an incredibly beautiful song ( !!!! )), how do you start thinkin ( or feelin ) about what you wanna express in that song.

I just listen to it and try to play it as musically sympathetic as I can.

Cheers
Gavin