Gavin Harrison here!

Cuban

Thanks for your previous reply to me Gavin.

Two more questions for you if I may.

I appreciate this might be hard diplomatically to answer, but knowing your love of tones, I assume you have tried UFIP cymbals? What did you think?

These days, do you always wear IEM or headphones when play or do you still play without sometimes?

Heck99

Greetings-

I have been a great admirer of your work in the past couple of years, I'm sure we can expect the same high quality work in the future. I'm not trying to sound like a gearhead, but I noticed in one of the pictures on your facebook page from your European tour this year what appeared to be an A-Custom Rezo Crash and K-Custom Hybrid Crash as your two "main" crashes in front of your kit. The sizes I can't tell from the picture, but how do you like them? I played a couple of each series and found them to be too insensitive when played softly, which is why you may have used them live. I saw PT when you came through Cleveland with Coheed and Cambria and it didn't appear to be the same ones in the picture. Thanks!

Regards,

John

mpdrums

Hi Gavin,

Everytime I see you guys (Porcupine Tree) live I was asking myself how you manage to get the right entry to let your music be accurate with the live projections.... Do you hear a count or a click when you started a song to get into the right postion?

Cheers

Last edited:

Damo

Hoy there Gavin,

You might remember the last time you played in Dublin, you might remember it was Temple bar-Music center March 2003..(or was it 2004?? can't remember the year...getting bloody older)...you might even remember this eejit air drumming along to you at the front row....but wheither you remember these things or not...I'll never forget that nite .....and meeting you and the Tree after..magical memory.....unforgettable...unrepeatable

I'm looking forward to seeing you again on Monday nite Oct 11th...year of our Lord 2010..in the Tripod. Its been a while but..........

Great to see you and the boys back in Ireland again....
God bless...and knock us out!!!

Mattp7394

hey gavin

the opening about 8 seconds of 'slippen away' - i want to learn this bit, is there a particular technique this is called so i could ask my teacher how to play it? any books or dvd's that focus on this?

cheers

Matt

Fox622003

Gold Member
hey gavin

the opening about 8 seconds of 'slippen away' - i want to learn this bit, is there a particular technique this is called so i could ask my teacher how to play it? any books or dvd's that focus on this?

cheers

Matt
And HERE's a very clear transcription you can show him for better reference.

Fox.

euphoric_anomaly

Gavin,

I used a program called "Fruity Loops" to put together the following one-bar audio samples.
It's a 5/4 beat @ 108bpm. There's a slider you can use with the program to "add swing".

My question is, what did that do to the placement/phrasing of the notes? It seems to sound like it changes the beat altogether, even though the notes are in the exact same spots.

Could anyone explain this audio phenomenon to me?

Thanks in advance

Eric

Attachments

Fox622003

Gold Member
Gavin,

I used a program called "Fruity Loops" to put together the following one-bar audio samples.
It's a 5/4 beat @ 108bpm. There's a slider you can use with the program to "add swing".

My question is, what did that do to the placement/phrasing of the notes? It seems to sound like it changes the beat altogether, even though the notes are in the exact same spots.

Could anyone explain this audio phenomenon to me?

Thanks in advance

Eric
I hear it pretty much the same (but swinged, of course XD). The "swing" slider simply sets the notes to their triplet-based counterparts. It's the way jazz or "syncopation" charts are usually read.
As a notated example, the first is normal, and the second is how you play EXACTLY THE SAME first notation, but swang (meaning, you don't actually write it like that, that's just how you play it). But anyway, it's more of a feel thing, and the tripelt-based notation is just a guideline to give you an idea of how the feel should be.

Hope that helps, Fox.

Last edited:

euphoric_anomaly

I hear it pretty much the same (but swinged, of course XD). The "swing" slider simply sets the notes to their triplet-based counterparts. It's the way jazz or "syncopation" charts are usually read.
As a notated example, the first is normal, and the second is how you play EXACTLY THE SAME first notation, but swanged (meaning, you don't actually write it like that, that's just how you play it). But anyway, it's more of a feel thing, and the tripelt-based notation is just a guideline to give you an idea of how the feel should be.

Hope that helps, Fox.
that's an excellent explanation, clear , direct, and easy to understand. thanks so much fox

Damo

Hoy Gav,

Magical Dublin gig last nite- magical hankerchief trick- a musician and magician.
Try rabbits out of the bass drum next.

Damo

ps. pay no heed to the ignorant ass who wrote that sorry excuse of a preview in 'The Metro'-ne hasn't a clue. That paper is a rag, thats why it's free.
It's even shunned by the homeless of Dublin as bed sheets.
Great turn out-much better than last time. PT rocked and so did u!
Loved the grooves, loved the tempo-and tanx a big mill for playing 'The Sky Move Sideways'. It moved this old pt fan eejit to tears.
Slan leat and best wishes for London.

astroandy

Bochum Show

Dear Gavin,

I asked a friend of mine - who is a 21 year old very talented drummer - if your sound in the Bochum Show was as good as in all the videos. He said, it was even better. So thank you for being an inspiration and kind of "idol" to me and him.

Regards

Andy Lux

David Floegel

Silver Member
Hi Gavin,

do you know where the differne between the Puresound 14" 12 Strands snare wires and the Concert Series 14" 12 Strands snarewires is?

Thanks
David

TKIE

Hi!
I have some questions about your drum pedal, I'm looking forward to buy one and I'm very interested in Axis. My scepticism is in heel of this pedal (I'm thinking about longboards - A series) because it doesn't look very heavily and I think that it isn't as endurance as e.g. Giant Step's pedals. I heard somewhere that it's easy to whip off scrolls (talking about Axis) even you manipulate it sparingly. Will be great if you will share some oppinions about that (and if you can answer how often you're changing your double pedals? experiences with those pedals mentioned above? etc.)
All the best!
TKIE

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi szokematyi

In your Visions Dvd, there is a section about subdivisions. You demonstrated it with a work-out applied for the hands. If I remember correctly, you stated: This is the fundamental building block of everything that you'll ever play. I'm thinking about applying that concept for the feet as well for better timing and pedal control. Would you recommend it?

Absolutely - why not. Remember control is FAR MORE useful than speed!!!

Hi Deathtoll

Of all the songs you've performed on, what song really sticks out to you the most? Could you explain why too?

That's a hard question - I've played on a lot of songs. The songs on the last two albums that I made with 05Ric are the most challenging things I've ever done. Very rhythmically satisfying.

Hi Cuban

I appreciate this might be hard diplomatically to answer, but knowing your love of tones, I assume you have tried UFIP cymbals? What did you think?

Yes they are very good cymbals indeed. I was lucky enough to have a tour of the factory about three years ago.

These days, do you always wear IEM or headphones when play or do you still play without sometimes?

I almost never play without the IEMs or headphones. My tinnitus is getting worse - and one day it might stop me playing altogether - so I have to be VERY cautious these days.

Hi Heck99

I noticed in one of the pictures on your facebook page from your European tour this year what appeared to be an A-Custom Rezo Crash and K-Custom Hybrid Crash as your two "main" crashes in front of your kit. The sizes I can't tell from the picture, but how do you like them?

Yes I sometimes use those cymbals. The Reso crash is 15" and the Hybrid crash is 19". Sometimes I swap out cymbals during the tour just to try them out and see if they fit. I like them.

Hi mpdrums

Everytime I see you guys (Porcupine Tree) live I was asking myself how you manage to get the right entry to let your music be accurate with the live projections.... Do you hear a count or a click when you started a song to get into the right postion?

Of course for the projections to be in sync we need to play to a click. There is also a count in.

Hi pixelbreaker

I was looking at the back of my "Nil Recurring" CD and it says you tapped guitar on the first track. Which part is this?

Everything you hear in the first 33 seconds is just me. Two tapped guitar parts.

Hi Kalma

do you know where the differne between the Puresound 14" 12 Strands snare wires and the Concert Series 14" 12 Strands snarewires is?

They have different types of coiled wire.

Hi TKIE

My scepticism is in heel of this pedal (I'm thinking about longboards - A series) because it doesn't look very heavily and I think that it isn't as endurance as e.g. Giant Step's pedals.

Don't worry - they are very heavy duty.

I heard somewhere that it's easy to whip off scrolls (talking about Axis) even you manipulate it sparingly.

sorry but i don't understand what "whip off scrolls" means.

Cheers
Gavin

SantiBanks

Hi Gavin,

A question about notation. I noticed that the ">" symbol is used for accents. The Rhythmic Designs book uses those for the main snare hits and notes without the accent mark for the ghost notes. Why did you choose for this approach over using smaller notes for the ghost notes? Is this the proper way to score out drumparts?

Cheers and enjoy the RAH show!
Santi

TKIE

Sorry,
I thought to strip screws (hope it's understandable now...). I heard that it happens often and that an owner of this pedal have to screw it frequently. How often do you care about this stuff? (meaning screwing) And what is a lifetime of your pedal?
Thanks in front.