Gavin Harrison here!

steste50

HI again Gavin,

1. You said in this thread that you don't use cowbells because PT music doesn't request it. Actually i never heard u playing cowbells in any of the records i heard from you. What about O5Ric and "Circle"? It looks like a cowbell was asking you for being played finally :D . Just curiosity by the way :)

2. You said u use headphones when u practice at home, and you hear your drums processed with little eq, compression and reverb. Do you use hardware gear (and what models eventually) in those occasions or u use plugins?

Thx a lot

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
Hi Cuban

do you use any sound isolation screens in your home studio?
In some videos it looks like you have them in front of your kit, but not around it?

Yes I have three screens just around the front of the kit. It helps stop reflections from the huge glass doors that are a few feet in front of the drums. They are old AK sound barriers - a company that doesn't seem to exist anymore. You still sometimes see them in studios.

Looking forward to the Jakszyk, Fripp & Collins CD!

Me too.

Hi mpdrums

I was wondering what kind of Model you are using? I've seen in different Interviews where you sit behind your Drumkit that you're using a Stick with an autograph on it which a little bit looked like yours... (Maybe a Signature Model from you?) But on another interview or picture you were using just the normal "Rock" model if I've seen that right!? So, what kind of Drumsticks are you using?

they are all the same Vic Firth "Rock" model with the red 'Vic Grip'. Sometimes (as an endorser) when you ask for sticks - they send you some with your own signature on (just for fun). However - I am working on a design for a proper 'signature model' with the guys at Vic Firth.

Hi Kalma

couldn't you make a short video how you are going to tune a snare?
for example a 14*5?

I believe I did this on the B side of the Rhythmic Designs DVD. Also I do really like the advice that Bob Gatzen gives on tuning. You can find a lot of his stuff on YouTube and his DVDs.

Hi steste50

1. You said in this thread that you don't use cowbells because PT music doesn't request it. Actually i never heard u playing cowbells in any of the records i heard from you. What about O5Ric and "Circle"? It looks like a cowbell was asking you for being played finally :D . Just curiosity by the way :)

I'm still don't think cowbells are right for this music. Maybe one day they will.

2. You said u use headphones when u practice at home, and you hear your drums processed with little eq, compression and reverb. Do you use hardware gear (and what models eventually) in those occasions or u use plugins?

I'm hearing the EQ from the analog desk - and an old Yamaha reverb unit just for monitoring. It's hard to hear the effects from Logic because there's always a latency delay whilst you're actually playing - so therefore I never monitor the drums through the computer. Of course on playback I can use the plugins inside Logic.

cheers
Gavin

euphoric_anomaly

Gavin,

Quick question on Beyond the A. The very first bar of that song you do a roll on the snare, followed by a roll on the bass drum. Are there the same number of notes in the snare roll as there are in the bass drum roll?

Also, do you play your ghost notes as a closed roll or an open roll? Or does it change depending on the music?

Thanks

Eric

henri

sorry if someone has already asked..

Hi Gavin,

if I am not so "square" as i would like (carré, in french, maybe tight, i don't know :/ sorry),
may I hope to become it, quickly? or never?
Do you recommend to study exclusively with "clic" for that?
or no way?

thanks Gavin,
'best,
hi

Last edited:

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Henri, do you mean tight? If so, one good advice is to record and analyze your playing, with click, without click, with music. The main goal is to sharpen your ears.

mpdrums

Hi mpdrums

I was wondering what kind of Model you are using? I've seen in different Interviews where you sit behind your Drumkit that you're using a Stick with an autograph on it which a little bit looked like yours... (Maybe a Signature Model from you?) But on another interview or picture you were using just the normal "Rock" model if I've seen that right!? So, what kind of Drumsticks are you using?

they are all the same Vic Firth "Rock" model with the red 'Vic Grip'. Sometimes (as an endorser) when you ask for sticks - they send you some with your own signature on (just for fun). However - I am working on a design for a proper 'signature model' with the guys at Vic Firth.
Thanks Gavin! :)
I'm looking forward for these Sticks!! Hopefully they'll also be avaible in Stores to buy....

henri

Henri, do you mean tight? If so, one good advice is to record and analyze your playing, with click, without click, with music. The main goal is to sharpen your ears.
Matthias, yes, you're right.
but the diagnosis is one thing.
healing is another.
I talk to heal.
i know my problem.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Yes but still! It must be either a hearing issue (while playing, not while listening back on a record), a concentration issue - which can go hand in hand - or a technique problem.

Do you realize you're not tight the moment it happens, or later?

henri

some small tempo errors, of course. I hear them while playing.
but, when I listening back, I notice that sometimes (no, often) I'm not in depths of time.
is "in depths of time" correct term? au fond du temps.

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
Well since I'm Swiss, I certainly won't correct your English :).

Yes that's what I mean: You notice tempo or timing flaws while listening back. So your goal must be to hear that while you're doing it already. If you hear it, you can play it better. That's what I mean by sharpening your listening abilities. It's much easier to hear stuff in a recording than while playing, because the brain is pretty absorbed.
So when you record yourself, listen back, and then try to play the same thing but without the mistakes you heard in the recording, you train your ears! All great drummers had or have to do that, I'm sure. Time and groove are hard things to really master.
Hope that helps.

henri

ok
- Try to be more focused while playing. (Listening to me and my play)
- Stay super tuned-up of other members (especially with bassist)

Gavin, what do you thing about all of this?

KevShephard

Good luck at the big show at Radio City Music Hall tonight Gavin! Wish I could be there! It must be out of this world playing a venue like that. I think I have butterflies in my gut for you.

Kevin

Hey Gavin,

Have you or Porcupine Tree ever thought about releasing a "Making Of" video or DVD. I've seen the short one from "Deadwing" and the really short one from "The Incident". Those things have always interested me because I really like to see how everything unfolds inside the studio.