G1 over Ambassador - am I nuts?

JesusMySavior

Silver Member
I use clear heads always and I've noticed a particular favorite sound of mine comes from G1 batters over Remo Ambs on the reso side. Now technically these heads are supposed to be the same, but I don't like ambassadors as batters, nor do I consider the G1s better resos than Ambassadors. So now I've got my combo of G1 over Ambassador and it sounds killer. Could there really be that much difference of am I imagining this? It comes down to the Mylar essentially. I've had CC's next to G1s next to Ambs and G1s win every time on the batter side. So there's gotta be a mild difference going on there.

Thoughts?

No, you are not nuts. If it works, it works. I'm using Ambassador Coated on batters and resos right now. I might try G1 batters next time I change heads.

People put their favorite heads over stock reso heads all the time, and here you are putting a good head over a good reso. I don't see why it wouldn't sound killer. I got Emps over Genera res heads and they also sound killer to my ears. Then on another kit I put 1-ply Attack heads over the stock heads (GP), and it much improved the sound. I'm sure it will sound even better with some good Amb or Genera reso heads. I'm curious how well the Attack heads work as reso heads because they are pretty decent batter heads considering how cheap they are.

Which combinations of Evans resos have you tried with G1 batters?

G1 and Genera Resonant.

I like big open sounds but I filter out any off-tones using 1 moongel on each batter head (except for kick obviously - use a EQ3 or EQ4 for that job).

G1 and Genera Resonant.

I like big open sounds but I filter out any off-tones using 1 moongel on each batter head (except for kick obviously - use a EQ3 or EQ4 for that job).

In that case, you might consider going with G12 heads on the reso side. You might find that the thicker single-ply head helps to reduce those stray overtones without the need for any additional muffling.

Yes. You are nuts. Ambassadors over G1's are better. (To my ears on my drums anyway). In general, I put Remo where you see them and Evans where you hear them.

No, you are not nuts. Whatever works for you is fair game. At least you got it half right.

Only kidding. Have you tried EC Resonant heads on the bottom with G1's on top? I like that combo. Peace and goodwill.

Yes. You are nuts. Ambassadors over G1's are better. (To my ears on my drums anyway). In general, I put Remo where you see them and Evans where you hear them.

Haha. Yeah Ambassadors are too papery for me. Evans holds more of a midrange subdued tonal quality that makes the rack toms pop out more! And the thin sounding ambassador makes sure the sustain isn't compromised.

Yep, barking....I may have to try that on my next change.

Back