G1 Clear Head for Snare

JohnnyG

Honorary Lifetime CEO
Staff member
I have written a few times that I have tried probably every Evans head I could get my hands on and have experimented a ton. I was not getting the ring from my snare that I wanted. COB, Gretsch Hammered Brooklyn , 6.5 x 14. I love this drum as it very easy to tune, but with the Genera coated head it was a bit dead. So I dug into the semi-used head bin, and pulled out a Clear G-1 head that I normally use for tom resos. Amazing, it sounds great. Just enough crack and ring for my tastes. I'm not a heavy hitter, so no worry of breaking the head. Don't be afraid to play around.

Last edited:
I'm confused. You want to remove a ringing sound from the snare. You had an Evans Genera batter on it (This head has a outer 2mil overtone control ring to reduce overtones). You replaced it with a clear G1 and the annoying ringing sound went away? I just spent a few weeks trying to tame a strong overtone ring on my COA snare, and went from a coated G1 to a coated Genera batter and the overtones have been tamed. What'd you do?

I have written a few times that I have tried probably every Evans head I could get my hands on and have experimented a ton. I was not getting the ring out of my snare that I wanted. COB, Gretsch Hammered Brooklyn , 6.5 x 14. I love this drum as it very easy to tune, but with the Genera coated head it was a bit dead. so I dug into the semi-used head bin, and pulled out a Clear G-1 head that I normally use for tom resos. Amazing, it sounds great. Just enough crack and ring for my tastes. I'm not a heavy hitter, so no worry of breaking the head. Don't be afraid to play around.
if it works for you, then go for it! nobody can tell you any different :D

I'm confused. You want to remove a ringing sound from the snare. You had an Evans Genera batter on it (This head has a outer 2mil overtone control ring to reduce overtones). You replaced it with a clear G1 and the annoying ringing sound went away? I just spent a few weeks trying to tame a strong overtone ring on my COA snare, and went from a coated G1 to a coated Genera batter and the overtones have been tamed. What'd you do?
I wanted ring. The Genera killed the ring. I put on the G1, and got the needed ring.

I think my writing getting "more ring out of my snare" you took the out of, for rid of. I changed the language.

I used a clear head on my gig snare for a few months. I liked it. More open and airy. I forget why I switched back to a coated G1, but I did.

Back