G. A. S. I've got it bad

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I'm almost certain harmonica players don't get bad cases of g.a.s. like us...
Oh yeah we do!
I started out with a simple Hohner Marine Band model when I was 10 and loved it. Then the teen years kicked in and I learned of all the other keys they're offered in (at the same time hearing John Popper do his magic) and the game was up.

Every music store I visited offered some variation of the standard classic: Double harps, multiple keys on the same harp, etc.
And of course all were willing to "offer me a deal" to buy them.

I still carry the old Marine Band in a Buck knife case just to keep up the music, but harp G.A.S. is for real!! =-D

incrementalg

Gold Member
Sometimes I tell myself to enjoy videos and clips of equipment that give me G.A.S. and not worry too much about trying to obtain it.

I read that part of what drives our desire to have something is there is a certain stress associated with getting that thing. Ultimately, we're relieving that stress by acquiring that thing. For a while that stress relief feels good, then we fall back into stressing out over another thing that we want.

Looking at it this way might help.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
"I'm almost certain harmonica players don't get bad cases of g.a.s. like us…"

What was the one group, that the leader had a leather vest with about 20 pockets on the front full of harmonicas???

Groov-E

Silver Member
Blues Traveler.

John Popper.
Alright then, I'll just quietly remove myself and shut my pie hole concerning harmonicas. I could have said the same thing about zither players and get schooled anyways, right ?

As for the stress relief thing, I believe that's very true. Sometimes sitting one out for a couple of days makes me realize I love what I already have and it was just had an air bubble passing through my brain. Happens to me all the time.

incrementalg

Gold Member
Alright then, I'll just quietly remove myself and shut my pie hole concerning harmonicas. I could have said the same thing about zither players and get schooled anyways, right ?

As for the stress relief thing, I believe that's very true. Sometimes sitting one out for a couple of days makes me realize I love what I already have and it was just had an air bubble passing through my brain. Happens to me all the time.
How great it would be if we played harmonicas. Imagine satisfying any G.A.S attacks and being able to fit all of your harps in a suitcase instead of having drums fill a room or a house.

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
Harmonica is fun. I have a seven piece collection, with all of the reeds tweaked up and sounding good. It was one of the first wind instruments my daughter figured out, because she could both draw and blow.

I also have a pretty cool collection of samba/bird whistles, which she has a blast with. I think this kind of led up to this realization that I have G. A. S. when I purchased a metal siren whistle.

A serious harmonica player does actually need a bunch of different harmonicas for changing keys.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Recently I find I am in an ugly cycle of gear acquisition syndrome. What are some methods to cope? I find the biggest culprit is that I have lots of limited free time these days. By limited, I mean I'm at work waiting for something, so I do a little online shopping, or I'm at home and the toddler is napping, so I have time, but not so much freedom, so I find myself shopping rather than playing with the items I already have or going out and doing something.
So what did you buy recently?

opentune

Platinum Member
Consumerism, marketing, government propaganda (holidays) and manufacturer programming, but most of all GAS particles in chemtrails - ha ha:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemtrail_conspiracy_theory

But in the end - he who dies with the most toys.....

dies.
Great saying, true, but in the end he with many toys maybe also ' lived differently'.

For the OP, I agree with others who suggest to play more. Playing more brings less focus on buying, if its the buying cycle that is bothering you.

Steady Freddy

Pioneer Member
I work hard to get money. I use money to get stuff. If you keep it long enough it goes up in value. Then you can get more stuff.

mbettis

Embrace it like your life depends upon it.

Now, please follow me to my Web site.

Enabling friends,
Matt

SmoothOperator

Gold Member
That's because the government has programmed you to be this way. You have been successfully and effectively brainwashed. Enjoy!
Googles ad network probably had something to do with it.

I think there is some merit to the stress argument also. Essentially, having been programmed to be basically dissatisfied, stressing by not having these things that ultimately provide little value or satisfaction, a vicious cycle.