Future 'Vintage' Drums

Frosticles

Silver Member
Maybe Premier drums? They're pretty much off the market now and maybe in a decade or 2 people will get into 'that company that went from stardom to the gutter'. Hmmm... would say the same thing about Remo drums. I see them pop up on used sites a couple of times a year and still fetch a nice price for them.
Huge Premier fan. Was bought up on them :) I still own a MK1 Projector from 1986 which I bought for £200. Fully restored it & it is such a wonderful kit.

The 3 kits that I have that "Should" become collectable/sought after are the Pearl Redline, my Yamaha RC's & my Premier Projector :)

Scottie15

Yea I'm seeing all kinds of people watching and bidding on drums across eBay and Reverb. The demand is still high. I put my old Rockstar Custom kit on Craigslist out here in the Bay Area, and had multiple inquires. Sold it in less than a week.

But I think that's just for the used market.

Either way, I've got a deposit down on a set of STAR Walnuts. Supposed to be here in June.

Scottie15

I've noticed a little uptick in price in early Pork Pie USA drums. I don't know if people are getting what they are asking, but I commonly see kits from the late 1990's at premium prices.

Because of this, I have refused to drill holes for traditional floor tom legs into my suspended floor toms. Instead, I put up with the God-awful cradles/baskets for my floor toms, but I don't want to hurt the value of the floor toms. Here's a pic of my kit circa 1998 (14" floor tom not pictured).

Check out this kit for sale in my area: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/msg/d/boulder-creek-drastic-price-cut-need-to/7131472229.html

fess

I would think it’s all going to depend on how many of today’s kits are still around 50 years from now and how much drums change in the next 50 years.

mrmike

Silver Member
I think Dunnett will have some staying power and to a lesser extent Keplinger. Of course this is from a NW perspective but eventually these builders will not be around and if the brand survives the drums from the original maker will have just that more cachet.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
About two years ago I tried to find some used Yamaha Club Customs, and there were none anywhere. The search took about a year, and I had to buy from overseas. They sell used for what they used to sell new, or close to it. A few years into production, Yamaha closed down that factory, so the market isn't flooded with them. The finishes are hand-painted, textured, and very high quality -- easily the nicest lacquer finish I've ever encountered. The hardware and mounts are top-notch Yamaha stuff, they tune easily, and they sound excellent.

But they're only about 8 or 9 years old, so it'll be a while before they're considered vintage.

Sonor Hilites have a very good reputation, too. But the big tom arms sticking through the shells is a turn-off for me.
The Yamaha Club Customs were the first ones to come to my mind. I was also thinking C&C would probably be ones that might bring a high demand.

brentcn

Platinum Member
The Yamaha Club Customs were the first ones to come to my mind. I was also thinking C&C would probably be ones that might bring a high demand.
They deserve to be, but probably won’t, bc they’re still available, in whatever you want. They’ll never be scoffed at, of course, but when there’s a bunch of kits out there in some strange finish, or weird sizes, the buyer can’t recognize what’s good or not. You need an identity first.

(Don’t get me wrong; C&C’s are sweet.)

Chunkaway

Silver Member
They deserve to be, but probably won’t, bc they’re still available, in whatever you want. They’ll never be scoffed at, of course, but when there’s a bunch of kits out there in some strange finish, or weird sizes, the buyer can’t recognize what’s good or not. You need an identity first.

(Don’t get me wrong; C&C’s are sweet.)
You know, those are all fair points. I guess I was thinking about 50 years in the future. The original C&Cs, which Bill is still producing, will be sought after. Sort of like the 60s Gretsch or Ludwigs. They are still being made, but not in the same manner by the same people.