Funny the things that matter

Michaelj

Tama do have a Speed Cobra 310 series 2 legged hi hat stand, which is 1/2 the cost of the 900 series, so the OP might want to investigate that. It's not nearly as fancy as the top of the line one, but it certainly does the basics just fine. That's what I bought.
Actually I was in a store last night, trying out the pedals. I’ve pretty much decided on the speed cobra kick pedal. That thing is a complete dream. I’m still thinking about playing it, because it felt so good.

I tried out the 310 stand, and found it difficult to fault. I wasn’t able to try the fancier one, but can’t see myself needing to spend twice the money to get it. The 310 was stable, smooth, which is all I want from a hi hat stand. If it had 3 legs I’d have bought it for sure, but the two legs seems fine.

At this stage that’s probably where I’m heading: speed cobra kick, and the 310 hi hat. I might spend the extra money, but I don’t know if I will. In my experience, I’ve regretted spending less on gear, but rarely regretted spending more.

hawksmoor

The thing I get stupidly bugged about is crooked logos. If I've put a new head on whatever drum, and the Remo logo is not absolutely perfectly centered, I'll take if back off and start again.

whiteknightx

Silver Member
At this stage that’s probably where I’m heading: speed cobra kick, and the 310 hi hat. I might spend the extra money, but I don’t know if I will. In my experience, I’ve regretted spending less on gear, but rarely regretted spending more.
the 900 series hi hat is a couple pounds heavier. I did have a tama iron cobra lever glide hi hat stand before (pretty much the same stand as the speed cobra 900), but it was a bit heavy in my hardware bag. It's a terrific hihat stand, but overbuilt for my needs. My 310 has been serving my needs for a couple years now. I might pick up another for the home kit.

Michaelj

the 900 series hi hat is a couple pounds heavier. I did have a tama iron cobra lever glide hi hat stand before (pretty much the same stand as the speed cobra 900), but it was a bit heavy in my hardware bag. It's a terrific hihat stand, but overbuilt for my needs. My 310 has been serving my needs for a couple years now. I might pick up another for the home kit.
This is great info, thanks very much. I spent about 45 mins in the shop going between different hi hat stands, and nothing stood out to me as being significantly better than the 310 in that price point. I tried the iron cobra lever glide, and it was good. I'll spend a bit more time playing them side by side before I make up my mind, but at this point it's seeming like the 310 will do everything I need it to.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
The thing I get stupidly bugged about is crooked logos. If I've put a new head on whatever drum, and the Remo logo is not absolutely perfectly centered, I'll take if back off and start again.
Me too. Crooked logos drive me nuts. I center it between two lugs in the panel with the badge. I eyeball it though, not with a ruler or anything.

The extent of my "matching" these days is using the same brand of snare as the kit. Supra with my Ludwig, G4160 with my Gretsch.

JustJames

Platinum Member
Change to Evans.

I've never known an Evans logo to be crooked,