Funny the things that matter

Michaelj

I've been looking around at hardware lately, and keep pivoting between different options. It occurred to me that a big part of my issue in deciding is that I like things to match. I've always bought things piecemeal, and I assume most people are the same in having a bunch of different gear from different manufacturers, but when it comes to pedals, I much prefer them to match.

For example, the logical thing to do is just to buy the best hi hat stand I can find, and then the best kick pedal, and so on, regardless of what it looks like or who built it... But I want my pedals to match. This is completely ridiculous because when I'm playing, my feet are going to be covering the pedals anyway. I was looking at the 800 series yamaha hardware pack, which is a great pack, but the kick and hi hat have different pedal designs, which bugs me.

The kick pedals I'm looking at are the Yamaha 8500 and 9500 models, and the speed cobras and iron cobras. The hi hats that match each of these are the top of the line 2 leg options. I'd be more inclined to get a cheaper and simpler hi hat (e.g. a 700 or 800 series from yamaha), and I don't use double kick, so especially may not need a 2 leg stand. I'm willing to invest more in the bass drum pedal. Obviously, though, when you move to a different pricepoint, the pedal design changes as well as the functionality.

I guess from a discussion point, this isn't so much a 'which gear should I get' (which is why I put it in the general drum thread), but I'm curious if other people have hangups about their pedals not matching, or any other pieces of gear that they need to match?

Drumolator

Platinum Member
To each his or her own. All of my hardware is now either Mapex or Gibraltar. My pedals do not match although they are both Mapex but many years apart. Peace and goodwill.

alparrott

Platinum Member
Long ago I realized it's only me who's going to know. Most clubs I play in, it's dark. 100% of the gigs I've got are for my playing and not for the coordination of the hardware. I've never owned a matching snare, my pedals are usually (not always) mismatched, and my hardware is a hodgepodge of Ludwig Atlas, modular and classic, Yamaha 700, Gibraltar, and Tama. Even my microphones don't match. All I care about is does everything stay where I set it, and last for hundreds of gigs without failure.

drumdevil9

Platinum Member
I have had pedals that matched in the past but I don't remember it being something that was important to me. Now none of my pedals match. I don't have a single hi-hat that matches any of my pedals (I have 2 Yamaha and 1 Pearl Hi-hat and my BD pedals are mostly Tama).

My hardware is all over the place. On any given gig I'll have hardware by Pearl, Yamaha, Gibraltar, and DW. If I like the features on a particular model I get it regardless of brand. Like I never thought I'd buy DW hardware but their Ultralight cymbal stands fit the bill perfectly (weight is my primary concern nowadays) so I bought 2. As long as it's chrome it all looks pretty much the same anyway.

Michaelj

I have no hang-ups about anything matching. Completely un-important to me personally.
Yeah, it will factor into my decision, but it won't be the deciding factor, if that makes sense. If I can get matching pedals, great, but ultimately I'll get what works best.

I'll pick the kick pedal and go from there. if I choose the speed cobra kick pedal, the first hi hat stand I look at will be the speed cobras before moving onto anything else. Ditto Yamaha, if I decide an FP8500/9500 is the pedal to go with, I'll look at the yamaha hi hats first.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
For me, some things should match, others, not so much.

Like on my local kits, my cymbal stands are the same manufacturer and vintage. It happens that my snare stand is also from the same era and series. But my HH stand is a new Yamaha, and my pedal is a newish Ludwig. Throne is a Taye.

On tour, where my cymbal hardware is very visible on a rack, I want it to look the same; it's all recent Gibraltar. Pedal and throne are newish Ludwig, and the HH stand is an older, midline Ludwig Pro. It just happens to have been with my touring kit for many years, and I never found a need to change it. :)

Bermuda

cutaway79

Silver Member
I like all my stands to match. Snare stand isn't all that important, since it's kind of hidden anyway. Bass drum pedal is whatever feels best.

paradiddle pete

Platinum Member
Same Species all the way if you can, drums, heads, stands, cymbals. hell yeah! if i'm the only one who knows good. then i know something they don't.. play on.

mikyok

Platinum Member
Long ago I realized it's only me who's going to know. Most clubs I play in, it's dark. 100% of the gigs I've got are for my playing and not for the coordination of the hardware. All I care about is does everything stay where I set it, and last for hundreds of gigs without failure.
Exactly! In all the years I've been playing nobody has said your hardware doesn't match.

whiteknightx

Silver Member
I always had the mix and match hardware, but now that I'm older, and I was due for a freshening up, I went all matching Yamaha stands, and now the odd little bits that aren't, like my cowbell mount, kind of annoy me.

For pedals, I have the speed cobra 900 series single and double, and eventually not having a matching hi hat started to annoy me too. Tama do have a Speed Cobra 310 series 2 legged hi hat stand, which is 1/2 the cost of the 900 series, so the OP might want to investigate that. It's not nearly as fancy as the top of the line one, but it certainly does the basics just fine. That's what I bought.

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I don't care if my pedals match.

I'm not that good a drummer. I'm more worried about improving my drumming skills than my pedals matching.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
TBH I just get hardware that suits my needs at the time. I never thought it mattered much beyond working awesomely. They all look chrome. I am partial to a Yamaha top end snare stands and any DW pedal, but after that hardware is last on the list. Except the throne. Even my hi hat is a very inexpensive Pearl model. It works for me, and it's light.

The flat based stuff doesn't impress me either. They take up too much floor real estate.

I'm pretty sure none of my stands match.

I'd much rather focus my energies onto something that intrigues me.

Hardware is like a shoelace to me. Yea I need it, but it's not something I give much consideration to.

PlayTheSong

I think the important thing here is that it matters to you that they match. So if they don't, it's going to bug you every time you sit down to play. That's not the way you want to start out each session. If it's not a financial hardship, get the matching ones that please you every time you approach the kit from the drivers' side. There must be a bd pedal you like that has a matching hh stand?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I like it when things match, but it's not really necessary for me to spend money on it. I think the only time I've had matching pedals was when I bought my Tama Rockstars back in the early 1990s. Back in those days, you'd get hardware along with your drums, and I had a matching kick drum pedal and HH stand...both of which still work I might add. I think that it would be really cool to have matching hardware.

I like it when I play a drum set-up where I can have my matching, beat-up hard cases that have stickers all over them. If I end up taking an odd-ball drum with me, sometimes it'll have a super-nice case while all the other cases are beat to pieces. I prefer to take my cases that all match and that are equally as beat up.

Mustion

When I started drumming it was on Frankenits: a hodge podge of cymbals, hardware, even the drums themselves! So now as I'm older and can afford to do so I highly prefer uniformity. Drums, same brand; legged hardware, same brand; cymbals same brand/line.

I do make exceptions for personal things like the snare and kick pedal, and for hardware or cymbals when there is no option within a brand/line (Yamaha has no equivalent to the Tama MC7 clamp, and sadly Zildjian doesn't make a K swish)

Yes I know these are things only drummers and marketing people care about. And I know a Zildjian, Sabian, and Paiste can coexist in a setup. But superficial as it may be, deep down it just feels too much like a reversion to my early days.

Jbravo

I recently bought a new Ludwig classic maple kit, and a full set of Paiste big beat cymbals. After the fact I decided to buy new Ludwig atlas hardware. I really like to have things match, especially since my intention is to have this be the last kit I buy.

My exceptions are: I’m still using my 16” zildjian K hats as my main set. They’re just great hats! My Big Beats closed hihat is still mounted on DW because Ludwig doesn’t make one. I did buy an extra atlas cymbal stand to hold it up though. :)

The last exception is I bought an inexpensive direct drive double pedal to try one. So far I like the direct drive, and will probably end up buying a Trick double pedal eventually...

Up2Speed

For me, some things should match, others, not so much.

Like on my local kits, my cymbal stands are the same manufacturer and vintage. It happens that my snare stand is also from the same era and series. But my HH stand is a new Yamaha, and my pedal is a newish Ludwig. Throne is a Taye.

On tour, where my cymbal hardware is very visible on a rack, I want it to look the same; it's all recent Gibraltar. Pedal and throne are newish Ludwig, and the HH stand is an older, midline Ludwig Pro. It just happens to have been with my touring kit for many years, and I never found a need to change it. :)

Bermuda
I remember you switching to a Taye pedal from DW. Not playing that any longer?