Funky Blues Drumming

NerfLad

Silver Member
This is a live recording of Robert Johnson's 32-20 Blues my band did (in our guitarists living room.. hehe) that I mixed down and put some EQ on. I think I overdid it on the low end and there's a pretty agressive lowpass on the high end to give it a little more mellowness... let me know what you think. That's about all I did... I didn't crush the dynamic range so it plays back pretty low. Anyways, hope you like it!

Recorded on my Saturns, with Coated Amb's on everything tuned open medium-high, batters much lower (nearly a fourth) than the reso's. PS3 on kick.

Mics: Audix ADX51 overheads and i5 on kick batter (it's all I had...) for the drums/most of the room. Various stuff on the other amps. They ended up all being room mics basically.... heh

Cymbals: Ibrahim Diril 24" Traditional Ride, Bosphorus Master Vintage 20" (main crash), 14" K Hi Hats, 20" K Custom Dry Light Ride (secondary crash)

Note: Listen to our bassist's fill into the fade out! Dude's got the funk.

Thanks,

Nerflad

Last edited:

NerfLad

Silver Member
Thank you!! Our bassist makes it pretty easy. We sound best when I just play time and stay out of his way. lol.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Dude, at 19 you are supposed to overplay, do a fill every 4 or 8 bars, step on the singer and soloists, rush the tempo, and think that you are the bees knees doing it. Get with the program man!

NerfLad

Silver Member
Dude, at 19 you are supposed to overplay, do a fill every 4 or 8 bars, step on the singer and soloists, rush the tempo, and think that you are the bees knees doing it. Get with the program man!
Oh, believe me, every once in a while I throw in something completely inappropriate just to see how the other guys react... Tony Williams flam drags into a verse, over-exaggerating the "grease" (N'awlins lilt) with the bass drum to the point that I'm basically dragging behind, stuff like that. I get way more of a kick out of it than they do.... mostly they just egg me on...

NerfLad

Silver Member
Here's another... "Born Under A Bad Sign". I again stay simple, keepin' time. I figured somebody on a drummer forum might be into that :)

Quality isn't as good on this one, it was a little earlier in the process when we had a whopping two microphones on hand.

Recorded on a Yamaha Rock Tour I recently got rid of with Coated Vintage Emp's and a DMR Custom Snare with a Vintage Ambassador. 20" K custom dark ride, 18" signature fast crash, 14" K hats.

- Nerflad

Attachments