Funk, Second-Line, Uptempo 7/8, Samba and Solo Type Playing

G

Grid

So I'm in the U.S. Army, stationed here at Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio. Obviously, I'm not God's gift to the drumset. I'm just a hobbyist and I get to go to this Hacienda place (recreational facility/bar) after duty each day to have some fun. So, for better or worse, this is my art.

Hope you like it!

In uniform:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oXl91uSiYQ

Spastic Second-Line stuff and a 3/4-4/4-5/4 groove:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqBIJlq6doM

Funk stuff and 7/8 groove:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiRiyvhqFhU

Samba stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AJZZNxXZIU

You've got killer skills. Fast hands and great chops. If you slowed it up a tad I'd enjoy what you played a lot more. But very nice playing, bud.

welcome to the forum.

Wicked chops! I particularly like the "Funk Stuff" video...

However I do think that cymbal needs to be sent home with a Purple Heart! :)

Really nice hands.

Samba one was funny. You'd do the groove, break, do a fill, break, and then do the groove again.

Really cool. Keep it up. (find more creative names as well...) :p

Thanks for checking out my little vids, guys; hope you liked them.

And yeah, I guess I could come up with some less generic names. :)

You have insaneeee speed, and I like your groove stuff you should just play more rather than fills/solos. That would help also if you find some other guys to play with.

Also, thanks for the service I have a cousin in the military and I almost begin to barely understand what a sacrifice it is to serve during war time, so thank you from all of us.

Chops for days!! You demolished that little set. Is that a yamaha rydeen? Actually sounds alright on the video. Again, sick playing.

Chops for days!! You demolished that little set. Is that a yamaha rydeen? Actually sounds alright on the video. Again, sick playing.

Yeah, it's a Yamaha Rydeen. And there are actually four of these little practice rooms, run by a single guy, who also happens to be a drummer here in San Antonio. Each room has a keyboard, guitar and bass amps, drums and stuff to sit on. Pretty cool deal for being free. Granted the gear isn't going to win any awards for prettiness, but that doesn't matter to a guy like me; I just like playing.

And thanks for the nice words about my vids.

are you the same guy from this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s98NMLHzfIA&feature=user

and the Portland Guitar Center finals winner? Ryan Cox?

Nice of you to be humble and classify yourself as a "hobbiest" but you have better chops than 99.9% of people who call themselves "drummers".

When and where did you learn all of the stick trick moves? Drumline experience no doubt?

Scrambler,

Yes, that's me. And I did do years and years' worth of rudimental drumming when I was a kid, which is where I developed some hand facility. I was fortunate to get hooked up with some truly world class teachers and drummer buds, too, so that's how it all got started.

How about you?

Scrambler,

Yes, that's me. And I did do years and years' worth of rudimental drumming when I was a kid, which is where I developed some hand facility. I was fortunate to get hooked up with some truly world class teachers and drummer buds, too, so that's how it all got started.

How about you?

Very impressive. I started playing as a kid (10 years old I think), then jumped on a full kit at about 13 yrs old. I played on the high school drum line where I got some good instruction for a pro but didn't much like marching band scene at the time other than the marching cadence so I only actually was on the snare line for one year. I played a little with the school jazz band while playing in rock bands thru high school and college.

Now I'm pushing 40 and just play for the pure enjoyment and rhythmic addition that possesses me in the car, office, kitchen table, etc etc. The traditional grip approach I once had for the snare has long left me but the rudiment base is definitely a key to what chops I do have. One thing I never had was the type of speed you displayed in your videos. One of these days I'll get around to posting a video of me playing.

Scrambler,

That sounds about like me: Played a bunch in high school, dabbled a few times since then, but mostly limited to finger drumming on desktops and attending imaginary national snare drum solo contests in the shower. :)

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYES,

I don't know the first thing about second-line drumming, so please, please go easy on me. I'm a self-exposed poser! :)

Anyone know of a good place online to watch legit second-line drumming?

SLEEPY BRiGHT EYES,

I don't know the first thing about second-line drumming, so please, please go easy on me. I'm a self-exposed poser! :)

Anyone know of a good place online to watch legit second-line drumming?

Yes! New Orleans is the best place to watch it! No I know, you meant online. I'm sorry. I haven't got a clue where you can watch it online other than a general Google and YouTube search. Regardless, great great drumming.

Back