Funk drum kit recommendations

richwol

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a drum kit primarily to be used for funk (but also a bit of hiphop and soul), and looking for an all-round kit that'd serve this purpose. I guess I'm looking for something with quite a tight sound - I play a lot of ghost notes on the snare so I'd like these to be audible.

My budget is £550 ($850) for the kit and then I'd be looking to upgrade the cymbals and heads at a later date - however, out of the box it should have a decent enough sound for a few gigs, even with the stock cymbals.

It needs to be a kit that can bought in the UK. I'd also prefer to buy it brand new from a shop - not a fan of buying stuff off eBay.

Any thoughts / advice?

Cheers,
Rich

?uesto

Silver Member
The Mapex Meridian and Gretsch Catalina series should work nicely. They do Birch, Maple, and Mahogany, in many different finishes and size configurations. You can do jazz set ups or more traditional rock set ups easily for that price range.

Fishbones

Silver Member
I primarily play funk and groove stuff - My ludwig centennials work perfectly. I'd reccomend selling the snare and buying a new one. but for the price u really can't beat it. happy hunting!

jonescrusher

Pioneer Member
Nothing new is going to be particularly great for that budget. Don't fear eBay, your budget just about puts you in the range for a Recording Custom, which as has been said, is ideal for funk. If you can stretch to 650, all the better.

aydee

Platinum Member

In my opinion any well made, in round, birch or maple shells, 20", 10" 14", with some nice cymbals should do.

Oh yes, and you'll need a nice expensive hi hats.

W

wy yung

The brand wont matter. An easy answer is to suggest fusion size shell packs.

The most important thing is to play with feel and in time. Learn to swing straight 8ths and don't overplay. I've played funk gigs with just hats snare and kick.

Just Make it funky!

Fishbones

Silver Member
The brand wont matter. An easy answer is to suggest fusion size shell packs.

The most important thing is to play with feel and in time. Learn to swing straight 8ths and don't overplay. I've played funk gigs with just hats snare and kick.

Just Make it funky!
learn to hold back backbeats - it instantly makes your playing 500% funkier in lots of situations. and also... LISTEN!
study clyde stubblefield, jabo starks, garibaldi, earl palmer, stanton moore, steve jordan etc. find the greats and mimic what theyre doing

aydee

Platinum Member
learn to hold back backbeats - it instantly makes your playing 500% funkier in lots of situations. and also... LISTEN!
study clyde stubblefield, jabo starks, garibaldi, earl palmer, stanton moore, steve jordan etc. find the greats and mimic what theyre doing
He's asking for drum kit reccos, not advice on funk.

Fishbones

Silver Member
Sorry about that - I saw this comment and I kind of got carried away. I just like to help people with technique. it seems like a lot of times poeple get caught up in the gear and think that a funky kit can make them play funk. The actual playing is much more important. Your opinion may differ....

aydee

Platinum Member
Sorry about that - I saw this comment and I kind of got carried away. I just like to help people with technique. it seems like a lot of times poeple get caught up in the gear and think that a funky kit can make them play funk. The actual playing is much more important. Your opinion may differ....
Agree with you completely, no funk drum sets. Only funk drummers ; ).. just pointing out the original query, thasall.