Fulcrums? Levers? Rebound? Gravity?

ryanlikealion

I'm looking to find out more about these topics and how they relate to drums. Can anyone recommend any good books? Want to read up on these so i can discuss them with my pupils. I understand the basic concepts (anyone who's been to school will!) but there's always more to learn.

Also I read an article a while ago and forgot to bookmark it. It was basically slating how Mayer had described the snare technique as being similar to bouncing a ball. Then it discussed how Buddy Rich had said it was like using a hammer. Can anyone offer me any more info on this topic.

As you may have guessed i am quite concerned about my technique at the moment and i'm trying to think about playing as efficiently as possible.

henno

I'm looking to find out more about these topics and how
As you may have guessed i am quite concerned about my technique at the moment and i'm trying to think about playing as efficiently as possible.
Firstly don't be too concerned, secondly. and sorry I don't have any book titles..It's only recently I began to look into these areas you asked about. There is a lot of stuff on the net regarding these topics, try drumming techniques in you tube. This should give plenty of scope to what is out there, when and where it started. There are many methods you can use to improve your drumming, the Moeller method for instance, which looks at the physics and motions of playing... using matched and traditional grips. Quickly, the stick is the lever the Fulcrum is the balancing point of a stick which gives the optimum rebound, and gravity is well, gravity. I hope this doesn't sound flippant, technically it combines to help control the motion of a rudiment for instance...again see you tube for some impressive rudiment playing... As for the different descriptions to playing, teachers often use or give different metaphoric expressions when describing something, try not to think too much about it. Find a basic method that suits your own playing, keep discovering, and adding to your repertoire. Good Luck, enjoy and have fun.