Frozen Ape Tempo App – Functionality(?) question:

John Q. Drummer

I’ve been successfully using Tempo app on an iPad for live purposes for the past 4+ years. Being able to build set lists before each performance for the 130+ songs the band could play was quite the time saver onstage. But like most things, everything comes to an end. I need to replace the iPad. It’s super old and can’t update it anymore and the battery barely makes it 4 hours now. (From fully charged to dead.) Looks like it’s time to trade in the old workhorse in.

I had never downloaded the app to my iPhone, only ever onto my iPad. I finally remembered to install it on the iPhone but much to my surprise, even though the app is now installed both on my iPhone and my iPad, I cannot access the library of songs that I created over the years on the iPad through the iPhone. Is there a setting that I’m not seeing where I can access all those “songs” on both devices?

My thinking is that when you get a new Apple device, you don’t necessarily transfer everything over, you simply redownload all the previous apps onto your new device and the information contains within some apps can get lost. So if I have to rebuild the entire library on the new iPad, that is a freaking major bummer, to the point that I won’t do it and find another app for my purposes. I like the Tempo app, but not enough commit that level of time to it. It has a few other aspects that bug me greatly. (I actually have a list of glitches and work arounds I have to do to get it to work the way I need it too.)

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

DrumDoug

You can email the set lists from the old IPad to your phone. I go the other way and update the lists on my phone and then just email them to my iPad. I have an old iPad as well. With the new ones you may be able to airdrop it.

John Q. Drummer

You can email the set lists from the old IPad to your phone. I go the other way and update the lists on my phone and then just email them to my iPad. I have an old iPad as well. With the new ones you may be able to airdrop it.
Did it work?

I was unaware of the ability to email set files from the app. So thank you for the tip! I investigated how to do it but when I attempted to do that, nothing happens. I push the share button, then push the Tempo Setlist File option…all that happens is that the Tempo app closes and the iPad goes back to the home screen. It creates no file, no email attachments, no nothing.

My working theory is that because my iPad is old and no longer supported and the App won’t update anymore either, I’m basically stuck rebuilding everything. Which is a PITA.

In trying to be positive about the situation, the act of rebuilding my library of files is a good thing. I had that information nowhere else. If I was to have lost or broke the iPad somehow, I would have really been screwed.

So my plan now is, rebuild everything on my iPhone, then get a new iPad, then email the multiple setlist files to myself from the phone in order to transfer that information to my new iPad. I will then have the information in 2 different places.

It’s a lot of work, probably 3-4 hours worth, but it will be worth it.

Apple offers a trade-in-for-credit program for their old products. (Done online based on the serial number of the product.) When I checked to see if they would give me any money for my old iPad, they just said that they would offer to recycle it for free. Feels like that’s Apple’s way of saying “we’ll take it to the farm for ya…”.

jaymandude

That same no response thing happens when I try to copy tunes into a new Setlist. One of the bands I play with has about 110 songs in the list, and they do back to back gigs so there’s no time to rewrite a Setlist after the first gig. So I’ll do two Setlist the day or two before. I’ve had to manually make the second set list because the copying or cutting and pasting or whatever it is just doesn’t work. It’s kind of bullshit actually, and I don’t know what the problem is, and I don’t care to find out what the problem is. It’s just annoying