From the wrist to the bass drum pedal...

Salty Dog

If you're like me you'd want to spend money you don't have on any drum related gear imaginable. Right?
While it's a frustrating situation to have to deal with for myself it forces me to think outside the bucks (I just came up with that now lol). Anyway so I'm always switching between rock and jazz set-up on my Ludwig Keystone it's a painful long process but the ATLAS system allows me to get it done and the kit looks insanely good in either configuration. However whenever I used the 16/12/14 Jazz set-up I was always thinking ''Man I gotta get myself that big Vic Firth Fleece bass drum beater'' but I though nah it's 40$ I don't really need it. Then something happened as I was looking for ways to lower the volume on my kit, my eyes fell on a couple of fleece wrist sweat bands just laying around (you see where I'm going with this right?) so I decided to use them and just wrap them around the standard bass drum beater that I use (Ludwig Altas Pro single pedal) and boom... literally. It never came off since. Sometimes I add one or remove one depending of the sound I want.

Awesome idea.

I vote you be the recipient of the monthly drummer prize for awesome suggestions.

I've used the sweat band set up for practice at home with the regular Vic Firth bass drum beater.

It's a quick fix!

I've used the sweat band set up for practice at home with the regular Vic Firth bass drum beater.

It's a quick fix!

It's a quick fix indeed but it's also a great option for a gigging drummer I guess. Obviously if that's the sound a drummer always wants then investing in a big fleece beater is a no brainer.

For a quieter beater I glued a cymbal felt to a wooden beater that got no use. It was the perfect solution for my goal and sound. The weight was still there but the sound was deadened more too a thud. Still going strong after a few years. I'd like to promote the glue but don't remember what I used.

Back