Freshly Cleaned Paistes...

drumhedd

...is there anything more satisfying?!

Jeez it's been a while since I've posted here... anyways, went on a bit of a cleaning spree today, inspired by a couple of "new to me" purchases that were looking a little tired. Decided to hit all of my non-vintage Paistes, as some of them were starting to lose their luster a bit. I think they turned out pretty well!

Yes, that's Dawn and Windex- great for getting surface smudges and fingerprints off before a "deep clean" with Paiste Cymbal Cleaner.

In back, left-right: 19" Sig Full Crash, 8" Accent, 18" Sig Full Crash, 21" Sig Dry Heavy Ride

In front, left-right" 18" Sig Power Crash, 18" Twenty Thin China, 14" 2002 Wild Hats: the top cymbal was essentially black around the outer couple of inches... still doesn't look perfect but it's a vast improvement!

Stroker

Platinum Member
Whoa! Nice! Nothing beats the look of polished hardware and cymbals! Glad to see you preserved the logos!

drumhedd

Whoa! Nice! Nothing beats the look of polished hardware and cymbals! Glad to see you preserved the logos!
Thank you! The Paiste cleaner is fairly mild, as are the household products I used. Unfortunately the degree of dirt on the top hi hat meant I had to sacrifice some of the ink to get it clean. But hey, 7/8 ain't bad!

Stroker

Platinum Member
Thank you! The Paiste cleaner is fairly mild, as are the household products I used.
Speaking of mild cleaners, while in my teens, I recall my mom and I taking Comet (the bathroom powdered cleaner) to my Paiste and Zildjian cymbals, because I couldn't afford any cymbal cleaner, and as harsh as it may sound, the Comet did a better job than the Zildjian cleaner, and with less mess. I still cringe every time I think about it.

What do use as a cloth when polishing cymbals, Drumhedd? Microfiber?

drumhedd

Speaking of mild cleaners, while in my teens, I recall my mom and I taking Comet (the bathroom powdered cleaner) to my Paiste and Zildjian cymbals, because I couldn't afford any cymbal cleaner, and as harsh as it may sound, the Comet did a better job than the Zildjian cleaner, and with less mess. I still cringe every time I think about it.

What do use as a cloth when polishing cymbals, Drumhedd? Microfiber?
Oof- I used comet to clean the tub afterwords, the thought of that is making me cringe too!

I used to use microfiber, but I find it's too absorbent and consequently I was using waayyyy too much cleaning fluids.

So I switched cheesecloth for the scrubbing parts (Dawn/Windex, cymbal cleaner, and cymbal protector)- since it's not absorbent you get the most out of your cleaning fluid.

Damp microfiber cloth then comes in for wiping said fluids off, before a final pass with a dry microfiber cloth.

Stroker

Platinum Member
Oof- I used comet to clean the tub afterwords, the thought of that is making me cringe too!
Roaring with laughter right now! My mom was the Heloise of homemaking back in the day, so she was always game for trying new things.

Thanks for the scoop on cymbal cleaning!

RaxCity

Those cymbals look AMAZING man! I might have to try that on my zildjian A crash - it definitely needs a clean! Nice setup too, must be sick getting to use that many great cymbals.

drumhedd

Those cymbals look AMAZING man! I might have to try that on my zildjian A crash - it definitely needs a clean! Nice setup too, must be sick getting to use that many great cymbals.
Thanks! It's been a long time coming- I've been piecing 'em together for a few years now. I only buy used, with the exception of the hats and china, which were floor demo models, so they were all surprisingly affordable!