Freight carriers....?

Jbravo

Finally ordered my dream kit. All the drums left Sweetwater at the same time, except for the one waiting to be built by Ludwig. Good enough. I’ll have them by Wednesday.

So I check the tracking( as we waiting-for-Stuff drummers will do) and three are headed in my direction (to SD), but one made a break for the east, and is sitting in Ohio.

Now why is it that I could order 20 different small inexpensive items that were shipped separately, and get them all together, but the rare time that it’s big expensive stuff, they can’t manage it?!

Ugh!!

Ok- I just had to vent. Hopefully I’ll get them all set up Thursday now...

Not a big deal unless it's there for more than a day or so. Who's the shipping outfit? Fedex? Grove City, OH is a big hub for their shipments. I've had drums ship from the east coast past PA into there and then back eastward into Pittsburgh, where I'm at.

The last time I ordered a drum set, it was a Sonor Bop kit.

Came in two boxes. One arrived the the day before Christmas Eve. The second box arrived the day after Christmas. It came with an extra rack tom (?), but it was missing the bass drum spurs. After many emails and calls, I finally got a set of spurs delivered straight from Sonor a couple of weeks later.

I've not ordered a new kit since. The two boxes came from two different places.

This all left Sweetwater together. It was just a miss sort at their shipping point, not a big deal. Just frustrating when it’s somethin you’re impatient to get... you would think l’d outgrow that someday. :)

This all left Sweetwater together. It was just a miss sort at their shipping point, not a big deal. Just frustrating when it’s somethin you’re impatient to get... you would think l’d outgrow that someday. :)

Maybe the boxes will catch up to one another and arrive at the same time? I've had that happen before...one made a detour and they got it back on track to meet the delivery deadline.

BTW, what kit did you order?

Just frustrating when it’s somethin you’re impatient to get... you would think l’d outgrow that someday. :)

Yup, I ordered a set of cymbals on Sept. 20th. The latest word is that they are supposed to be here on Oct. 8th. They will be worth the wait, but dang. I sure could have used them this weekend for a downtown harvest festival where over 70,000 people will be in attendance.

Oh well, it'll still be fun.

Maybe the boxes will catch up to one another and arrive at the same time? I've had that happen before...one made a detour and they got it back on track to meet the delivery deadline.

BTW, what kit did you order?

Ludwig classic Maples in vintage white marine. 24,13,16,18 and a 6.5x14 black magic snare.

The systems/people that route packages are unbelievably complicated and often when a human looks at them they make no sense at all.

The only things that matter to the system are facility/routing efficiency and delivery dates to meet. Most likely it made sense to send your items in different ways, but it might have been because that size package fit with that outgoing load, or the time allotment meant it was good to arrive even with the long trip, or the facility was at capacity or needed room.

But it all has a reason with the big two fedex/ups.

The systems/people that route packages are unbelievably complicated and often when a human looks at them they make no sense at all.

The only things that matter to the system are facility/routing efficiency and delivery dates to meet. Most likely it made sense to send your items in different ways, but it might have been because that size package fit with that outgoing load, or the time allotment meant it was good to arrive even with the long trip, or the facility was at capacity or needed room.

But it all has a reason with the big two fedex/ups.

I work for a regional carrier, so I know things happen, and sometimes for a reason. However people with hands and brains actually take the packages off the conveyors and place them on the trucks. And lots of these are part timers who are willing to work split shifts, and also work elsewhere or go to school, etc.

When four packages get shipped from one place together and all show the same delivery date, then all the sudden one goes a different direction and shows a day later delivery date, it means someone screwed up, and that’s called a mis-sort.

With the volume of packages that national,and even regional carriers handle, its just gonna happen a certain, small percentage of the time.

It just sucks when it happens on new drum day! ;)

I work for a regional carrier, so I know things happen, and sometimes for a reason. However people with hands and brains actually take the packages off the conveyors and place them on the trucks. And lots of these are part timers who are willing to work split shifts, and also work elsewhere or go to school, etc.

When four packages get shipped from one place together and all show the same delivery date, then all the sudden one goes a different direction and shows a day later delivery date, it means someone screwed up, and that’s called a mis-sort.

With the volume of packages that national,and even regional carriers handle, its just gonna happen a certain, small percentage of the time.

It just sucks when it happens on new drum day! ;)

Huh. My buddy who unloads trucks for UPS says they literally don't even glance at the labels at all. Everything goes on the belt so the bar-code reader can sort it down the line to the right truck or plane. Same in reverse... Not to say there aren't ever mistakes but they try and keep human handling to a minimum.

New drums are a lot of fun to receive from the carrier..
Just as long as they're not on THAT truck!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXVFo6lUAJg

Ouch!! Well, I got 13 and 16 toms and the snare today. They’re beautiful, and sound good on my initial tuning. I had to put coated batter heads on, really not a fan of the clear head that came on them.

Looks like the kick should be here tomorrow. Then I just have to wait for the 18” to be built...

9EEB989E-AECF-4620-8A29-9F786C6C34BD.jpeg

Beautiful. I've always fancied the idea of a Ludwig Maple kit with their "jumbo white pearl."
Once you get the entire new kit together, maybe a picture of it all?

Back