Free Floating Snare thoughts

Matty1977

Hazy 200 ehh? I normally use a 300. I should get it tomorrow night hopefully it doesn’t need too much tlc. Probably freshen up the heads and replace the strainer.
Yep. Tried both and ultimately preferred the 200. My other snare is a Wenge beastie that I built myself at a Tiki Drums workshop and that one has plenty of sizzle with a 300. Horses for courses :)

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
Should have it in hand tonight.

Looks like the reso is fully stretched and the strainer looks like its supposed to be the extended one but this one was replaced with one that isn't.

Gen 2?

A couple pic from the sale.

strainer2.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

whiteknightx

Silver Member
looks like a gen 2 to me. Extended strainers - the straps should pass over that second bar in the picture with the recess, not under it. and yes that's not the original strainer - the metal ends should be past the head, but I doubt its a noticable difference. I'd return it to stock if you run across the proper length one.

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
Trying my luck with amazon on an a Pearl S025 (20) strand replacement. extended strainer (15.9") it says for length. $14. We will see...

Probably going with an Evans 200 or 300 reso and a G12 might do the trick...although I've been loving the L360 Heavy. I think it might be too heavy for the FF. Any opinions on batters?

markdrum

Silver Member
I've got a couple of the more recent FFs with that strainer and you're right, the strap/string/whatever should pass over the outer bar. The difference between this strainer and the older ones is that the older ones have a spring-loaded bar instead of a single cast piece. I prefer the older one with the extended snares. That combo really does give you more of a "snarey" sound. It really reminds me of the Ludwig Super-Sensitive or the Ludwigs with the P-87 strainer. I tune mine with the batter just slightly lower than the resonant. I've tried a lot of heads with these things and the Evans ST seem to do the best. Be careful though. These are "dry" drums and an aggressively pre-muffled head can make them sound like a damp pillow. The sound engineer loved it but I couldn't wait to get that head off of it. I'm trying the Aquarian Hi-Energy on one of mine now and it's a winner! They are really great drums and one of my favourites for over 30 years.

Last edited:

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
I’m going to put a Evans 500 reso on with a replacement extended strainer and might try something on the brighter side for a batter?

Fearing a G1 might be too open. G2 too thick? Recommendations?

It arrived tonight by the way. Definitely needs a strip down and cleanup, new heads, strainer, etc

whiteknightx

Silver Member
I always put the same heads on as any of my other snares - Remo Ambassadors for the batter and diplomat reso.
I do really like the Evans one with all the little holes in it - HD Dry? I forget.

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
Snare received.

Dirty. as in not clean and needs dismantled, cleaned, and new everything. I already ordered and received an extended snare strainer, and Evans 500 reso. Need to decide on a batter and get that.

I played it at church yesterday and even in "meh..." condition it sounded pretty dang good.

So...what cha' think for batter? G2 on it right now - its just worn the hell out. Would like to keep the crazy bright overtones down without needed 3+ moongels. I'm kinda leaning towards another Evans Heavyweight...

Matty1977

I do really like the Evans one with all the little holes in it - HD Dry? I forget.
There are 2 versions with the holes:

Single Ply Genera Dry: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evans-B14DRY-Genera-14-inch-Snare/dp/B0002D0DR0

Double Ply Genera HD Dry: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Evans-B14HDD-Genera-Heavy-14-inch/dp/B0002D0E88/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_267_bs_lp_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=Y4BKTW2M659569RM8AS7

The head I use on my FF is the HD version but without the holes.

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
The ST Dry and staright up ST look like options too. 2-ply, 10mil heavyweight could be a bit much?

Matty1977

The ST Dry and staright up ST look like options too. 2-ply, 10mil heavyweight could be a bit much?
I tried an Genera HD Dry on my own FF and didn't like it much. Sounded super dead but the standard Genera HD sounds great. Just the right amount of ring to my ears both from behind and in front of the kit.

Maybe start with the ST and work from there?

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
I played it at church yesterday and even in "meh..." condition it sounded pretty dang good.

So...what cha' think for batter? G2 on it right now - its just worn the hell out. Would like to keep the crazy bright overtones down without needed 3+ moongels. I'm kinda leaning towards another Evans Heavyweight...
Glad you like it! Build-wise it looks just like mine (i.e. +1 for 2nd generation).

Mine has a coated ambassador batter and ambassador reso, and sounds great - I usually tune it pretty high. Also G1 is very good.
On a wooden drum I find a thicker head is a bit too damped. (JMO)

I have also tried a triple flange hoop on top instead of the die-cast and it opened up a little more, which I liked.

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
So I’m in the middle of the stripping and cleaning process (pics to come) and I have a question. There is a mil-thick, white, pad (felt?) that sits on the basket edge that seats the shell. There is one edge that’s ‘pushed’ so a portion of the shell sits directly on the frame of the basket. The other 80 sits on the pad.

Replace it?

A2E85868-E916-4098-8285-A9C6098AA2EC.jpeg

markdrum

Silver Member
It would probably be a good idea to replace the felt ring. I've had to do this and it's no big deal. I'm pretty sure that Pearl still carries the rings but you can make them yourself if you can't find them. Might save your shell some grief.

On another note you might want to try S-Hoops on your free floater, , (it never ends does it?). They give you a good cross between a die cast and a triple flanged hoop. They have more rigidity but they still let the drum breath which can be an issue with FFs. Both Ahead, who owns them, and Guru use these hoops. That's a pretty good endorsement there. The S Hoops are also comparable in price to triple flanged. I put them on a brass 6.5" and they did the trick. Drum Factory Direct usually has them at a good price.

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
Ok so i went after it tonight. Photo montage ensues. Had 4 lugs that were replaced at some point that are longer than stock but not enough to worry about. Wiped everything down and cleaned up where i could. A good bit of pitting and a couple scuffs here and there. Nothing to be too bent up about.

Cleaned the lug threads, a little preservative wiped on, new nylon washers on top. The strainer and everything fits great (thanks Amazon for having the right one). I reused the G2 for the moment. Amazing how overtone-ish it is. One moongel hushed it up. The difference between low, mid, and high tuning isn’t even much more than one whole turn on the lugs in its entirety. The shell is good - no cracks and is still try and round. Upper and lower rims are also true and while a bit dirty that cleaned up ok. Like i said, a little pitted from never being cleaned but not bad at all.

Damn crisp. Super-sensitive. I’m gonna play around with it and experiment with a couple different thicknesses of heads but overall I’m loving it. I can’t beleve i waited this long to get one.

Old strainer. Dirty. (New strainer just laid on top)
675FF4FE-F3B9-4314-A19A-059215664F1F.jpeg

Super stretched ambassador. Never seen one that stretched!
9F6EDB1E-597B-4F89-BFBF-ACD04571C438.jpeg

Old and new.
E120E59F-5D2E-43BD-B42B-3D5E295D6589.jpeg

Dirty rim
E3426548-AD6F-4A93-B44C-2F5123C81C22.jpeg

Dirtier rim
4F291557-13AA-46DE-B5F1-4C109A733118.jpeg

Dirty G2 batter
E2A385CD-6616-4EA5-89EC-420036C43C73.jpeg

Pushed felt pad
BB40A8A3-EA72-4433-AEB4-7B6D290A0BF0.jpeg

Cleaned basket
895D360E-A40A-49AC-B73A-9F4EAE9194D1.jpeg

Cleaned up, 500 reso mounted (flippped)
67774DA0-6D5E-42CF-9C7B-BFBACDCD34A6.jpeg

Replacement strainer
0A259770-F48D-4072-B5FC-A75CD669D7F7.jpeg

Other side
0AC599A7-EA6C-448D-BB9F-A6481CAD5AEC.jpeg

Flipped back over
F3F3D83D-4406-4DF1-8880-7E454FD08041.jpeg

Other side flipped
1502305F-7072-4E28-A370-747AA0BBE844.jpeg

She’ll set in
5AB275E0-5714-40D5-84EC-A33DAF362D69.jpeg

New nylons on the top lugs
A8F91B35-4852-4880-8945-10A04902E528.jpeg
11DC4352-5564-448C-A144-577F651C4F8E.jpeg

Attachments

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
Big winner on snare batter went to an Evans Genre Dry (with the undertone ring and tone control holes). Big objective for me was to defeat ovetones without the use of gels and not making it too dry. This setup (coupled with a 500 reso) worked well last weekend. There is just enough to keep it tonal and definitely didn't need any gels.

Matty1977

Great you have settled on a winning combination.

What kind of pitch did you tune it to? My FF isn't great at a low tuning but absolutely sings at the medium to higher range.

mrfingers

It's obvious: sticksnstonesrus is in love!
I've been using 32 count 14" wires on mine and no problems. Pearl super hoops on top and bottom, brass, Genera Dry batter.

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
It's obvious: sticksnstonesrus is in love!
I've been using 32 count 14" wires on mine and no problems. Pearl super hoops on top and bottom, brass, Genera Dry batter.
This is an easy drum to love, I keep coming back to mine too!

Regarding hoops: I have a super hoop on top of mine (which I like) but I didn't change the bottom hoop yet.
Does the standard 14" super hoop on the bottom fit, or did you have to get a special one?