Franken-hats

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
My main pairs are 16" Zildjian A Thin Crash over an A Medium Thin, and as 18" Sabian HH Med Crash over a Zildjian Symphonic Viennese. The 16s" sound as ZildjianLover described; big, vintage New Beats. The 18s" are big and fat and are typically under my right side ride where a second rack tom would be. There are just so may sounds to use on bigger hats, and if you are in a situation like I am where you can mic up and actually have the difference heard they can be incredible.
I have a lot of normal sized hats too, and if I need something conventional I go with 13 1/4 K Custom Hybrids, old New Beats, or Black Label 2002 Sound Edge.
I definitely prefer my bigger Franken-hats though.

Dj magic d

I used a Zildjian New Beat bottom in the top position, and a Z dyno beat on the bottom. It was super cutting, and just right for live playing. The foot chick was solid too. I think it was easier on my hands than using just both Z dyno beats, more "playability" if anything. Both Z dyno beats were reserved for the loudest of the loud gigs only.

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
I used a Zildjian New Beat bottom in the top position, and a Z dyno beat on the bottom. It was super cutting, and just right for live playing. The foot chick was solid too. I think it was easier on my hands than using just both Z dyno beats, more "playability" if anything. Both Z dyno beats were reserved for the loudest of the loud gigs only.
I used that same combo in the studio on a couple tracks.
Also did some work recently with a regular pair of New Beats but played flipped. Buch rock "chunk" sound.

Black Label

For some extra oomph, I sometimes use my 2002 Paiste 15" medium hats bottom hat as a top hat over my 15" 2002 sound edge bottom - loud, sizzly, crunchy, crisp - beautiful.

Another awesome sounding franken-pair that I sometimes use for lower volume situations is my 14" Paiste Dark Energy Mk1 top over my 14" Paiste Signature Power Hats top as a bottom - smooth, soft, mellow, darkish (in a Paiste kinda way) - lovely

Cheers
Erik

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
My FrankenHats come to be when I start putting splashes together for x-hat combos. Splashes are relatively cheap for the most part & I'll pick up used ones for next to nothing. Mix and match them for x-hats and you're GOLD!!

I do like the way you think Al.

alparrott

Platinum Member
My FrankenHats come to be when I start putting splashes together for x-hat combos. Splashes are relatively cheap for the most part & I'll pick up used ones for next to nothing. Mix and match them for x-hats and you're GOLD!!

I do like the way you think Al.
At one point I put a 6" A splash on top of a 6" AAX splash, just for kicks. I really will try anything...

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
As you already know, I'm not that wacky about my hi-hat cymbals. I've literally played the same set of New Beats for over 20 years so far. But in the last three years or so, I've since paired together two A. Zildjian 17" thin crashes as my main hi-hats, and I'm still using them to this day. I never touch my 15" New Beats anymore and have since sold my 14" New Beats too.

It's all about the blend. I think hi-hats cut too much and don't blend well when you're accompanying people in music. So thinner, lower-pitched is for me. The sloshing is unbelievable!

I can't stop using them.

gish

The hats on my practice kit qualify as franken hats, I believe. The bottom cymbal is a Zildjian Scimitar; these were my first hi hats, have had them for over 30 years now. No idea what alloy they're made from, but they have a greenish hue. Not from age; they've always been green. The top cymbal is from a pair of AAXcelerators I've had for a few years. This combo sounds much better than either of the sets on their own. I used them for a gig once; they worked fine but I much prefer my 15" New Beats so they're relegated to the practice room.

I've used 2 modified brass hi hat bottoms as an X-hat for years, and they do what I want them to. I wanted something that was a bit more barky and aggressive even when played closed, those do the trick. They're both about 20 years old and are heavily with patina, and I've thought about replacing them with something more high end to match the rest of my gear, but for some reason these just seem to work.

River19

Hmmmm.....this gets me thinking......

For years I played a pair of 14" New Beat Platinums that I bought new in like 1988, then last year I got a pair of 15" Avedis hats that I friggin' love.....

Looking around the room I have a 16" Sabian B8 Pro that I would rather use for home defense than a crash cymbal.....might make a decent bottom......need to score a decent 16" thinner crash for a top......

Why not.....

wildbill

Platinum Member
I ran across another cracked Sweet Ride, cut it down, and now have a Sweet Ride Hat Pack consisting of 2 Sweet Rides and a 22" A.
They are about 14.5". The 1st Sweet Ride is closer to 13.5 - couldn't be helped.
I haven't polished the bell on the 2nd SR yet, but will get to it shortly.

All combinations are chunky, powerful, and have magnificent foot chick and
bell sounds. They sound great both open and closed, but probably
wouldn't be your first choice for a quiet, intimate setting - ha ha.

Last edited:

Mongrel

Silver Member
Discovered another one....

14.25" K dark thin crash (about 775g) over a 90s 14" Quickbeat top.

Great chick, crisp, but not too overbearing. Good for a lower volume setting where you want to keep a strong "chick" option.

Mongrel

Silver Member
I ran across another cracked Sweet Ride, cut it down, and now have a Sweet Ride Hat Pack consisting of 2 Sweet Rides and a 22" A.
They are about 14.5". I haven't polished the bell on the 2nd SR yet, but will get to it shortly.

All combinations are chunky, powerful, and have magnificent foot chick and
bell sounds. They sound great both open and closed, but probably
wouldn't be your first choice for a quiet, intimate setting - ha ha.

Here's a few pics:

Bill, may I ask what you are cutting those with? Can it be done with a dremel tool?

wildbill

Platinum Member
Bill, may I ask what you are cutting those with? Can it be done with a dremel tool?
Sure - that would take a little time though.

I just use a generic cut off grinder, and then take it to a sanding wheel to even it up a bit.

They're never exactly perfect, like if you would use a lathe, but they're close enough for rock and roll.

Mongrel

Silver Member
Sure - that would take a little time though.

I just use a generic cut off grinder, and then take it to a sanding wheel to even it up a bit.

They're never exactly perfect, like if you would use a lathe, but they're close enough for rock and roll.
Cool, thank you!

I was also wondering about using a cutting bit on my drill press. Try and mke up a jig using the center hole etc...

wildbill

Platinum Member
Throat depth on my drill press is too shallow for that.

It's a full size press, but there's only about 8" from the spindle center to the upright.
I can mount smaller cymbals on the spindle, but to do something large, the cymbal would have to
be offset to the side, and some type of cutting tool used in the spindle.
If it's possible, I don't know how.

Last edited:

Mongrel

Silver Member
Throat depth on my drill press is too shallow for that.

It's a full size press, but there's only about 8" from the spindle center to the upright.
I can mount smaller cymbals on the spindle, but to do something large, the cymbal would have to
be offset to the side, and some type of cutting tool used in the spindle.
If it's possible, I don't know how.

The cut off I use is something like this: https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-PC60TPAG-7-Amp-2-Inch-Grinder/dp/B006NKRYHS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513455195&sr=8-3&keywords=cut+off+grinder

And for clean up, I use something like this: http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Disc-Sander/G7297?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhLaK7auP2AIVw4KzCh1LIQWoEAQYASABEgIa1vD_BwE&utm_campaign=zPage&utm_source=grizzly.com

Caveman style, but it works for me.

Proceed with caution.

Not to hijack the thread further-lol-but...

Thinking-Mount a piece of plywood onto the drill press platform to enlarge it (support with a leg to floor as needed)... Install a centering dowel for the cymbal mounting hole at the depth you need to cut off, install cutter on the spindle, drill pilot hole in cymbal, raise platform, rotate cymbal around the cutter... Install a finishing bit or sanding bit, repeat.