Found the secret to tuning drums!

Chollyred

After reading all of this I feel like a luddite! I learned to tune by ear almost 50 years ago. Then went on with timpani, xylophone, bells, etc. While my drums sound good to me, I'm sure many here would think they sound like garbage. I can see the tools help find a ballpark tension, but every lug is different. One tightens easily, another has a little more drag, etc. I just don't get it. <shrug!>

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
Tune-Bot and Resotune read pitch, so they're different than the torque gadgets.

In any case. Tuning drums shouldn't be all that hard to learn if someone just shows you a propper way to start and gives you a couple of the right tips.

wraub

Having my kit overall sounding pretty good (imo), I'm now focusing on just one snare drum at a time, and realizing how many little things can totally change the sound of a snare drum.
When I get to a point where I think I may be happy with the snare drums, I'll go over the kit again.

yammyfan

You are spot on. I thought i liked the floor tom but after listening to my daughter play it, back to the drawing board!
Do you have a Tune-Bot?

If you're not too set in your ways (no offense to anyone reading) they are a godsend for getting the absolute best sound out of a drum kit. No screwing around trying to match pitches between lugs - you get professional results every time. Grab one if you want to experience what the best drum kits sound like.

Buffalo_Drummer

This is why I'm so bullish on everyone owning a Tune-Bot. It blows my mind that there's any kind of resistance whatsoever to buying a device that will put an end to mediocre sounding drums once and for all.

It doesn't matter how good you think you are when it comes to tuning. You can do better - MUCH better.

Ego. Most people figure their snare sounds so good to them that how could they possibly tune it any better or any other way. It's funny to me that most people won't try different tuning, intervals etc.