Found a small nick on bearing edge

Scottie15

On my bass drum on the batter side. It's a velvetone kit so the edges are very sharp. The nick is rather small, almost can't see it but you can feel it running your finger over it. Anybody know how much of an impact this would make on tuning the shell? Figure a large 22" bass drum and the nick being kinda small won't affect it, but my OCD slef is a tad paranoid. Thanks again.

opentune

Platinum Member
yep... gotta let go of the OCD in thsi case.
Think about the circumference of a 22 inch bass drum (2 x 3.14 x 11 = 69 inches), and a nick that is 1/100 of an inch?

I guess the only thing to worry about is if it grows in size.

Scottie15

yep... gotta let go of the OCD in thsi case.
Think about the circumference of a 22 inch bass drum (2 x 3.14 x 11 = 69 inches), and a nick that is 1/100 of an inch?

I guess the only thing to worry about is if it grows in size.
Right on thanks for confirmation. I have seen so many horror stories about bearing edge nicks and difficulty tuning. I figured since it was relatively smaller, although I could still feel it running my finger across it, that it wouldn't have a huge effect on 22" of drum. I have been hearing some rattling when hit, but I think that's coming from the kickport and possibly the EMAD plastic holder.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing to worry about, especially on a bass drum. There's a fair chance your bass drum batter edge is uneven to a greater depth than any nick in it, & that's a much more important thing. Have I fed your OCD? ;)

T

The SunDog

These guys are all correct. A nick is not an issue. Tuning problems come from from the head not making even contact. What Keep It Simple was referring to. High spots on the bearing edge several inches in length (or more). The first thing I did when I learned about them was take my heads off and start checking. Isn't OCD cool. Have fun.

Scottie15

Right on thanks again for making me feel better guys lol. And Keep it Simple, you have no idea haha. My OCD is BAD.