• 20210626_170654.jpg
    20210626_170654.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 68

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
Nice recovery!

No Way Jose

Silver Member
I know a drummer, he showed up at rehearsal without his hi hat stand. Afterward, he was told that he was not playing at the gig. I think that he also forgot his snare stand.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I literally can't remember the last time I forgot something at a gig, and I think the last time the gig was a five-minute drive from home. I have a checklist by the door to my garage so I don't forget nothing. Forgot to use it this time, and the gig was over an hour away from home. So I had to adapt, improvise, overcome... the gig went well (blues standards) but it was weird not using my left foot!

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
What did you settle on for closed-ness? Super tight? Sloshy? Somewhere in between?

I put my hats in the center for a while and couldn't really find a happy (for me) setting for footless hats. A cable hat would have been fantastic.

Jasta 11

I literally can't remember the last time I forgot something at a gig, and I think the last time the gig was a five-minute drive from home. I have a checklist by the door to my garage so I don't forget nothing. Forgot to use it this time, and the gig was over an hour away from home. So I had to adapt, improvise, overcome... the gig went well (blues standards) but it was weird not using my left foot!
i do the OCD sanity check constantly, even when driving, ( cymbals, throne, hardware, bass, snare, toms, pedal). even still, i almost left for a gig last week without my pedal bag, which my stick bag is in, so i would have been in trouble. I was switching to a new stick bag i just bought the day before a gig and had the bag inside and left it by the door. i had loaded everything and on my last trip out the door i noticed it! now I'm even more paranoid about forgetting something.

doggyd69b

What did you settle on for closed-ness? Super tight? Sloshy? Somewhere in between?

I put my hats in the center for a while and couldn't really find a happy (for me) setting for footless hats. A cable hat would have been fantastic.
If you do a search for cable hi hat stand in Amazon you will find a few ranging from $221 to $429. I think that is certainly much more affordable than it used to be in the past.....

doggyd69b

i do the OCD sanity check constantly, even when driving, ( cymbals, throne, hardware, bass, snare, toms, pedal). even still, i almost left for a gig last week without my pedal bag, which my stick bag is in, so i would have been in trouble. I was switching to a new stick bag i just bought the day before a gig and had the bag inside and left it by the door. i had loaded everything and on my last trip out the door i noticed it! now I'm even more paranoid about forgetting something.
To me it was easier to count pieces than to think names,for example, I had 5 drums 5 cymbals (never a problem there since they went inside their case) and 6 stands plus a double pedal. So it was 5 5 2 1= 5 drums, 5 stands, 2 extra pieces (cymbal case and pedals) and 1 backpack. So far never forgot anything, the small light suff such as sticks and other items were always in the backpack.

A J

I have never forgotten anything to a gig, mainly because I'm super paranoid about screwing up. I bring all sorts of spares too: parts, pedal, heads, mic, cables, etc....

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Happy to read Im not alone about the OCD check. I sometimes stop the car to check once again if my stick bag or my Tom post are in the trunk ! Only once I made a mistake, I took the wrong snare bag without checking, and I took the snare, . That didnt have any snare wires色色色色. by luck my bassist had an old french snare drum in his attic and wasnt very far from the gig location. I dealt with it.

Jasta 11

Happy to read Im not alone about the OCD check. I sometimes stop the car to check once again if my stick bag or my Tom post are in the trunk ! Only once I made a mistake, I took the wrong snare bag without checking, and I took the snare, . That didnt have any snare wires色色色色. by luck my bassist had an old french snare drum in his attic and wasnt very far from the gig location. I dealt with it.
I actually stopped the car a month ago and looked to see that I had my Tom post! i use 2 different set ups and sometimes only a bass and snare so while driving along going over the gear in my head, i freaked out. Its nice not to feel alone anymore!!

alparrott

Platinum Member
I did a just shy of tight setup. Since the wingnut and felt on top weren't holding the top cymbal like a clutch does, there was a little scoot off center between the two that would create sloshiness. Could not do a bark though, and there was not much thread left to adjust.
I already mentioned the checklist by the door, and I usually do a "so you think you're fully loaded" check and then one more before I drive off - and somehow ALL THREE TIMES I failed! I think I'll probably be overcompensating for this incident for some time to come...
I have never forgotten anything to a gig, mainly because I'm super paranoid about screwing up. I bring all sorts of spares too: parts, pedal, heads, mic, cables, etc....
I have a little tacklebox with lots of spare bits and bobs; I used to not stress about forgetting anything else because our bass player keeps a full drumkit in his van because he runs a local blues jam. He changed living situations and now that drumkit no longer rolls with him - otherwise I would've been covered yesterday!

iCe

Just say you're 11 and you don't use the hi-hat stand (this was a running gag on the PDF years ago; a user there didn't use the hi-hat stand and when asked why, his reply was that he was 11 years old. And what he meant was that he couldn't reach the pedal because he was short or something like that) :p

alparrott

Platinum Member
Just say you're 11 and you don't use the hi-hat stand (this was a running gag on the PDF years ago; a user there didn't use the hi-hat stand and when asked why, his reply was that he was 11 years old. And what he meant was that he couldn't reach the pedal because he was short or something like that) :p
I'm short but not THAT short 尹

• Haha
Reactions: iCe

moxman

Silver Member
Happened to me once on an outdoor gig in the country. No chance of going back home to get it as it was 40 minute drive. I did something similar.. sanndwiched the hat cymbals on a cymbal stand and just used accents for the swish. It was weird with the left acting like it was on a pedal all night!

alparrott

Platinum Member
Happened to me once on an outdoor gig in the country. No chance of going back home to get it as it was 40 minute drive. I did something similar.. sanndwiched the hat cymbals on a cymbal stand and just used accents for the swish. It was weird with the left acting like it was on a pedal all night!
I know what you mean! I use a double bass pedal and for the first set my left foot so desperately wanted something to do, so for the second set I set up the left pedal with no beater on it. I think it helped? I know I had more fun for set two!

roncadillac

I've had that issue as well. That's why I always preferred the Tama closed hi hat mount with the lever, I can have a tight closed sound and an open sloshy sound. Admittedly it's not practical or user friendly to engage/disengage the lever while actually playing a song however it allows very quick, easy, and consistent changes in between songs. Typically I kept mine pretty tight because that is the main sound I needed from my hi hats. This topic was timely as I'm going to be experimenting with this set up again with the band I was just asked to join.