Forearm Injury From Drumming

WallyY

Platinum Member
Yes, I was suggesting if you lean your forearm against the edge of the table, it will do more harm than good.

ihage

Not sure if it is the same but I had tennis elbow....and I never even played tennis! lol
Pain on the outside of elbow is tennis elbow.
Pain on the inside of the elbow is golfers elbow.
Went for months of physio and took gobs of anti inflammatories.
Nothing helped until I got a shot off cortisone.
Cortisone is basically a strong anti-inflammatory injected into the area with a syringe.
That was about 5 yrs ago and I have been pain free since.
Now if I can just get this plantar fasciitis under control....different problem...different thread.
@Ronzo how long after your injury did you wait until you got the shot of Cortizone?

BillBachman

Gold Member
It's wise to consult a Dr. to get some wisdom, but beyond that my thought is to (maybe) let it heal a bit and then get lessons to fix your technique so you'll never have the issue again. I say "maybe" let it heal before getting lessons since often playing with correct technique won't exacerbate the problem and it'll heal on its own while you build up the correct technique (that'll only be easier and sound better anyway). I've helped dozens of people with various bouts of tendonitis, carpel tunnel & the like, it's always your body revolting because you're forcing it to something the hard way.

Side note, so often with drumming injuries people go in depth about dealing with the symptoms rather than fixing the cause once and for all. How many different ways do you need to disable the check engine light on your car before you just fix the problem?

ihage

It's wise to consult a Dr. to get some wisdom, but beyond that my thought is to (maybe) let it heal a bit and then get lessons to fix your technique so you'll never have the issue again. I say "maybe" let it heal before getting lessons since often playing with correct technique won't exacerbate the problem and it'll heal on its own while you build up the correct technique (that'll only be easier and sound better anyway). I've helped dozens of people with various bouts of tendonitis, carpel tunnel & the like, it's always your body revolting because you're forcing it to something the hard way.

Side note, so often with drumming injuries people go in depth about dealing with the symptoms rather than fixing the cause once and for all. How many different ways do you need to disable the check engine light on your car before you just fix the problem?
@BillBachman Per my original post, I have consulted a doctor and have given it months to heal. I am going to another doctor tomorrow to get yet a 3rd opinion. I agreed that fixing my technique would be important. Where would the best place to to find a drum instructor that knows correct technique?

BillBachman

Gold Member
@BillBachman Per my original post, I have consulted a doctor and have given it months to heal. I am going to another doctor tomorrow to get yet a 3rd opinion. I agreed that fixing my technique would be important. Where would the best place to to find a drum instructor that knows correct technique?
That's my schtick. I've helped dozens of people with various bouts of tendonitis, carpel tunnel & the like permanently break free from it. Injuries and pain are always your body revolting because you're forcing it to do something the hard way. I teach skype lessons and would love to help you out if interested. thanks