Forearm Injury From Drumming

ihage

Hello drummer world! So about 6 months ago, I was drumming to a song, and when I went to go do a fill, I felt some pain on the inside of my forearm. My original doctor diagnosed my with a torn Flexor Carpi Ulinaris, but after a few months it only got slightly better, and so then they thought it was an inflamed Unar nerve. A bunch of physical therapy sessions later the pain was still there. I am at a loss, and would like to know if anyone else has had this injury. It is difficult to twist things such as lids, and am starting to think it's some type of chronic tendonitis or something. I don't really notice the pain unless I use it such as turning doorknobs, steering wheels, etc. The pain is on the inside of my forearm about 1/3 the way up my arm between my elbow and pinkie.
See the attached picture for the exact location of the injury!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Have you rested your arm totally, and do you do other work or exercise that is slowing the healing.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
With a full list of what's been done and type of professionals maybe some suggestions. Definetly get 2nd and 3rd opinion if you haven't already.

The right(or wrong) type of injury can take a long time. Tendonitis or other internal stuff can take weeks, but also a couple of years and is also dependant om exercise, supplements and diet change for sensitive individuals or for the best results.

For short term relief, heat or cold, whatever works. Generally cold for pain and heat for healing, but....

ihage

With a full list of what's been done and type of professionals maybe some suggestions. Definetly get 2nd and 3rd opinion if you haven't already.

The right(or wrong) type of injury can take a long time. Tendonitis or other internal stuff can take weeks, but also a couple of years and is also dependant om exercise, supplements and diet change for sensitive individuals or for the best results.

For short term relief, heat or cold, whatever works. Generally cold for pain and heat for healing, but....
@Odd-Arne Oseberg thank you. I may go in for a 3rd opinion. I just don't feel like they really know what they are talking about, I can't believe how hard it is to get a definitive answer....it seems like it would be a pretty common injury. So I figured I would reach out to the drum forums since I'm sure someone else has experienced this same injury. I'm starting to get depressed since I can't play drums or loft weights and it's starting to have an effect on my mental health. thanks for your advice though! :)

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I'd definitely get a third opinion because 6 months is quite a bit of time with no relief. And I can relate to the mental health aspect with being sedentary-it really does affect you. Hope you find the help, find the problem and get relief soon.

First, I am not a doctor, and any info I give is not intended as medical advice and is only given as a guide for questions to ask your doctor , who’s advice you should seek and follow .This is just my own personal experience and story. That being said........

How did they diagnose? Just from physical examination and symptoms and or X-ray only? Was an MRI performed? A nerve conduction test ? If not , I’d recommend asking your doctor for an MRI as many soft tissue injuries won’t show on X-ray.

I’ve had numerous work related injuries over the years , and although I hate to take any pain pills or or medications in general , I learned to listen to an orthopedic and neurosurgeon some years ago about taking them as directed. I had inflammation due to injury and was given a pain reliever and an anti inflammatory after ice and heat didn’t work , but didn’t really take them often . Doctors explained that without bringing down or controlling the inflammation and pain , the injury is constantly being aggravated and becomes a cycle of swelling and pain and loss of movement and altered mechanics which in turn continues the cycle and can lead to further injury and prolonged rehab time and decreased range of motion and or permanent injury. Once I listened and took my meds as directed , and with proper exercise/rehab for it, along with resting the given injury, proper sleep and diet the injuries healed quicker and with better long term results . For some injuries it wasn’t enough and required surgery , but for most it was . Again everyone’s injuries, circumstances, body , and situation is different and my advice is to seek another opinion and ask questions ( write em down so you don’t forget) and never self diagnose or self medicate. Being your own proponent and advocate for your health is key , but always in conjunction with the advice and care of a trained medical professional you trust and feel comfortable with 👍🏻. Chronic pain sucks , believe me I know , I’ve been there ( I literately feel your pain lol ) and still am with back injuries that only surgery will permanently fix .... or maybe not 🤷🏻‍♂️. Not easy with chronic pain , but keep your head up and seek and if necessary ..... fight for answers from the medical field . Good luck you you , and hope you recover and heal up fast 💪🏻👊🏻.

You may have golfers elbow. Like tennis elbow but on the inside instead of outside of firearm

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
@WallyY Yes I do! Do you recommend this? Have you had a similar injury? Did that help??
I think WallyY is trying to suggest you may inadvertently rest your arm on the edge of your desk, aggravating your arm. If you click a mouse all day, that can be a negative thing also.

I feel your pain. I popped the nerve in my forearm about a month ago. By the end of the day I couldn't use my arm or hand at all. I was seriously freaking out. I woke up the next day and all was fine. I think I got lucky.

rebonn

I injured my elbow (tennis elbow) by I think locking my elbow and lifting drums over a rack. Then played all night. Blowing leaves set it back along with practicing and playing out. Now the whole joint is effected I guess by fluid. It's been 8 months. If I put it in a sling and don't use it, I suppose it would heal a lot quicker. I've had this before but never this long. My suggestion, try not to use it and aggravate the injury.

EssKayKay

I have the exact same problem. I spoke to a couple medical people (doctor and chiropractor) - both said it was Medial Epicondylitis better known as Golfer's Elbow. They gave me some exercises to help alleviate. It's been about two months and to be honest I really don't see any difference. Oh, they both told me to lay off the drumming for a bit - that didn't happen (maybe that's why I see no improvement). Keep us posted ihage....

Ronzo

Not sure if it is the same but I had tennis elbow....and I never even played tennis! lol
Pain on the outside of elbow is tennis elbow.
Pain on the inside of the elbow is golfers elbow.
Went for months of physio and took gobs of anti inflammatories.
Nothing helped until I got a shot off cortisone.
Cortisone is basically a strong anti-inflammatory injected into the area with a syringe.
That was about 5 yrs ago and I have been pain free since.
Now if I can just get this plantar fasciitis under control....different problem...different thread.

EssKayKay

Cortisone was one of the options mentioned by my doctor. I have not done so yet but probably should seriously consider.

ihage

I have the exact same problem. I spoke to a couple medical people (doctor and chiropractor) - both said it was Medial Epicondylitis better known as Golfer's Elbow. They gave me some exercises to help alleviate. It's been about two months and to be honest I really don't see any difference. Oh, they both told me to lay off the drumming for a bit - that didn't happen (maybe that's why I see no improvement). Keep us posted ihage....
@EssKayKay interesting that you have the same problem! Did yours get injured in the same manner as mine? Do you have forearm pain... Or is it just around the elbow that you feel pain?

EssKayKay

@EssKayKay interesting that you have the same problem! Did yours get injured in the same manner as mine? Do you have forearm pain... Or is it just around the elbow that you feel pain?
Basically inside right elbow only. Periodically I will feel something on the outside but seldom - always right elbow. I was trying to think if I had some other trauma but really nothing. The only explanation sadly is drumming. The chiro said it is similar to carpletunnel. I'm not ready for a shot yet but probably will if this does not subside (it's been months).