Forced hiatus legacy.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Over the last few weeks, I've noticed that all my band members (absolutely including me) seem to be dropping a few silly mistakes. Not random errors typical of rust / unfamiliarity, but defined repeated pinch points. These are small errors in songs we've played 100's of times without fault, yet now seem to creep in despite identifying them & trying to deal with them. Little mental blocks that stubbornly hang around.

I'm sure there's something different going on, I'm just not sure what.

Anyone else notice something similar getting back to performing?

Frosticles

Silver Member
We had practice last night & have been together since 1986 & experiencing the same. The set which we have played 1000's of times now has glitches for some unknown reason. I'm putting it down to age...............

Highway Child

Over the last few weeks, I've noticed that all my band members (absolutely including me) seem to be dropping a few silly mistakes. Not random errors typical of rust / unfamiliarity, but defined repeated pinch points. These are small errors in songs we've played 100's of times without fault, yet now seem to creep in despite identifying them & trying to deal with them. Little mental blocks that stubbornly hang around.

Same here - perhaps we need to re-build our our gig concentration stamina!

btw I've become a fan of the '70s show "Joy Of Painting" since the re-runs are being shown here in Blighty. Andy, take a line through Bob Ross - "Mistakes are just happy little accidents"....I've calmed down so much since hearing that!

PaisteGuy

Same here - perhaps we need to re-build our our gig concentration stamina!

btw I've become a fan of the '70s show "Joy Of Painting" since the re-runs are being shown here in Blighty. Andy, take a line through Bob Ross - "Mistakes are just happy little accidents"....I've calmed down so much since hearing that!

Attachments

• 3EC4E670-DABB-4280-86F6-3F940F6A7596.jpeg
    3EC4E670-DABB-4280-86F6-3F940F6A7596.jpeg
    66.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 3A591C35-7231-4FCA-AE92-076830B7F841.jpeg
    3A591C35-7231-4FCA-AE92-076830B7F841.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

incrementalg

Gold Member

I haven't gigged in eons, but I took an extended break from drumming of several years and the same happened to me when practicing and jamming with friends.. Like you said, it didn't seem to be a matter of shaking of the rust...I'd make weird mistakes that I never made before and found it really difficult to correct them. And it would be the same mistakes in the same spot, over and over. What's weirder is, the mistakes are vastly different from mistakes I had to overcome before. Because I spent years away from drumming, I've often wondered if my brain changed during that time...causing me to think about and react differently to music, drumming patterns...etc.

KEEF

My bassman and guitarist are both suffering major brain farts....I seem to be able to remember the parts ok but am finding I can no longer make my arms move quickly enough to play them like I used to.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
We started gigging a bit. We fell back into a good mix and actually sound better on a lot of pieces. We seem to be fresh and "listening" differently to each other.

But man, setting up/ breaking down for me was painful. Literally. And my stamina playing a three set gig was iffy at best. Packing up and leaving house at 4:30 pm, setting up, playing 6p-9p, breaking down kit, getting home and unloading. I was finished at 11 literally and metaphorically. Whew I was hurting.

Stroman

Platinum Member
I'm not currently gigging, but I have noticed a difference at my job since the lockdown and having Covid. There is difficulty concentrating, for sure. Beyond that, I have noticed it's easy to make the same mistake over and over (or at least, *tend* to make that mistake). I've worked there for years, so it isn't something I don't know how to do. I have to pay extra attention, since I work in a financial institution and mistakes are sharply frowned upon. 😉

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Stressors mess up memory, etc. so I think this pandemic stress has people off balance and in a slight fog. You can only be scared to death so long before the scaring alone kills you. Look at studies of care givers of terminally ill- it takes a terrible toll on them too.

Socialization is my recommendation because we need social outlets least we be talking to a deflated soccer ball named Wilson. Plenty of studies on social deprivation/isolation- I can only imagine the long term impacts in developing youth. Why no one entertained these known risks is unconscionable. I’ve been ashamed of scientists during this pandemic and hope people learn a lesson while science can be good scientism can lead to a whole lotta problems- especially with such narrow focus and making decisions from a process that quickly changes so 180 degree differences. It’s been a shit show.

someguy01

I think this pandemic stress has people off balance and in a slight fog
They have also spent so much time alone that the "all about me" mentality has grown exponentially worse. They've forgotten how to exist in society and simply be civil to their fellow humans. It's sad and kinda ugly.

TMe

...while science can be good scientism can lead to a whole lotta problems...
And then there's politicians interpreting science in strange ways. In Ontario, our Premiere shut down playgrounds because... science, folks. Meanwhile, the scientists and his medical advisors were telling him NOT to shut down playgrounds, but maybe look at where the disease was actually being spread among low wage workers. No dice.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Next pandemic we need to initiate bans- on all politicians. From a global perspective and such bad outcomes( which of course they will tell you how much worse it would have been if not for the policy- I call bull crap on that) seems it should be a global ban. I predict a huge literature examining interventions and impact outcomes of that and virus itself-AND both will be bad is my prediction. Here in States we had a patchwork of interventions and little correlation with outcomes in strict or loose policy which is a big red flag we don’t know what the hell we are doing.

I found an interesting article examining another topic-extinction events and evolution. This was interesting because the loss of diversity and species they predict viruses will inevitably adapt to the host in the surviving species (and those in larger numbers)-which is a big red bullseye on humanity. So we need to get our act together quickly with a prediction of new pandemics every 3-5 years. Course scientist aren't oracles and generally actually suck at "long term" predictions-short term we do great. So lets hope it's a moron scientist-which yes plenty of morons with a PhD (I thought I'd already demonstrated that ROFL). Some scientist also have integrity issues-seen that personally. Fraud is a huge issue-even amongst Nobel laureates. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_scientific_misconduct_incidents

Last edited:

Jasta 11

We have been playing fairly steady through covid ( min was once a week rehearsal) but and still have those days. a couple of weeks ago i really felt like I was off for an entire gig. I felt like my timing was fast and slow during the same song and couldn't get out of my way when starting certain fills. We got a lot of accolades after the gig but loading out my guitar play says to me " boy did I struggle, i really had to tell myself to concentrate and focus, my solos felt off". I laughed and said how I felt my playing was off too and he said he didn't notice. I didn't notice any issues with him either. sometimes its just one of those days.

rebonn

Not really playing but after loading up, playing, tearing down and loading up again, I was so fatigued, I had trouble lifting my legs up to get into my car. 🥴 During the hiatus, I've gained weight and in worse shape than before.

wraub

Time away from demanding tasks and people, age, and, potentially, after effects of covid- many are reporting diminished mental and physical capacity after having it, and the effects seem to be chronic and varied.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I can't pinpoint the issue - doubt I ever will. I was more interested to learn if others had noticed the same specific issue. Rusty away from playing regularly I completely get, but these little mental blocks make no sense, or at least, I have no reference point.

I've been trying and failing to find the interview, but I remember watching Phil Collins talk about the one time they reunited live with Peter Gabriel, in October 1982, seven years after PG'd left. With the exception of, I think, a single song ("Turn It On Again"), Collins was behind the kit for the entire show. And he talked about how, during rehearsals, he kept looking at his own hands in frustration, as he not only couldn't get them to work right, he said they kept making the same mistakes he'd used to make back when Gabriel was still the singer. "Work, damn you!" is what I recall him yelling at his hands.

Reactions: Jml

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

both bands I play in had these issues before COVID, so it is much the same for me

all 3 bands had first practices about a month ago, and none of the 6 string jockeys remembered anything we were doing...I just don't get that disconnect. 😑 I can still play the bass lines to pretty much every song my high school band wrote back in the 80's...and many other songs from other bands in the past....

personally, I just have to dust off physical/execution rust...and rebuild endurance...

mikyok

Platinum Member
I've tried to keep my playing up but I think we're all getting a bit tired of just practicing for nothing. Tough to keep concentration levels.

There has to be something to work towards. Hard to be focused when the goalposts keep moving.