For those that record themselves...

belairien

Silver Member
What is your preferred overhead setup when using 4 mics? Recorderman? Glyn John's? Something else?

Ordered myself a new interface and mics. I'm waiting for them to arrive and I'm too impatient. I would like to get as much of the toms as possible. I can handle hitting my cymbals softer and drums harder, I do that with my crap 2 channel and the Tchad Blake method as is.

belairien

Silver Member
Great question. I started watching this guy a couple days ago to get some guidance on this topic. Maybe it will help.

I watched this exact video the other day. I will be using some LDCs though. Relatively flat frequency but more sensitive to low end. The flat response should allow more control in post.

I followed the same idea with the kick mic. No scooped mids

ToneT

2 sE Electronics in XY pattern, 36" above the snare drum.
My set is too big to have them pick up all the toms equally and in phase.
Instead, I'm using them as cymbals-only mics.
Everything below 1k is cut.
This does an outstanding job of capturing all my cymbals, beautifully panned with great separation, especially for XY technique.

belairien

Silver Member
2 sE Electronics in XY pattern, 36" above the snare drum.
My set is too big to have them pick up all the toms equally and in phase.
Instead, I'm using them as cymbals-only mics.
Everything below 1k is cut.
This does an outstanding job of capturing all my cymbals, beautifully panned with great separation, especially for XY technique.
I play a 1 up 2 down kit, and a few cymbals. Only got a 4 channel interface and 4 mics.

ToneT

One on the kick, one on the snare, and two condensers overhead.
XY, ORTF, or Spaced Pair techniques for the overheads.

Justinhub2003

I’m not sure what mics you purchased, but I absolutely love the DK3 kit from Earthworks.
2 overheads and a kick.

Carter Mclean uses a 3 mic setup with EW mics and they blow me away. I had to buy them (I ended up getting the close mics too )

belairien

Silver Member
I’m not sure what mics you purchased, but I absolutely love the DK3 kit from Earthworks.
2 overheads and a kick.

Carter Mclean uses a 3 mic setup with EW mics and they blow me away. I had to buy them (I ended up getting the close mics too )
2 Neat Worker Bees
1 Shure SM57
1 AKG P2
Plus an Audient Evo 8 on recommendation.

I had 650 bucks, by check, from a weeks worth of unemployment back in April finally show up. Aimed for the most economically minded, but well praised mics I could, plus stands with it. Already had XLRs.

These should hold me over until/if I decide to go deeper into the recording rabbit hole. As well as work well for hobby projects and demos.