For the Rush Fans!

That's unbelievable... imagine how much work went into this!

Also, although I never liked the sound of tenor drums on their own they really work for this purpose.

It was.

Did @Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX orchestrate it?

actually, I did not, but the guy who writes the wind book for the band I work with did the wind arrangement, and I have 3 students in the band...1 on tenors, one on sousaphone, and one on euphonium

That was very, very impressive.

I never did marching like this, just military band parade style.
Do they use a computer program to create the steps that will produce these amazing results?

Last edited:
That was very, very impressive.
I never did marching band like this, just military band parade style.

Do they use a computer program to create the steps that will produce these amazing results?

yes...it is called Pyware. It is used by pretty muchh every marching band/college band/drum corps. Sort of came around in the mid 90's and has evloved into allowing for this kind of writing. The drum corps actually used it first <- it sprang out of thier need to write more intricate formations as drill evolved away from squad drill, gate swings and pinwheels

...and actually, I DID arrange and write an indoor drumline show back in the day based on La Villa Strangiato...this was in the late 90's, and there is VHS footage of it somewhere in a box here in the house. I had a guitar player, bass player and drummer who could play the song note for note, so they were in the front ensemble, and I just arranged marching stuff to fit the song, and then did a visual representation of a bunch of "strange villas" that you were transported to during the show

How - and where - is something like this rehearsed?

How - and where - is something like this rehearsed?

they have their own rehearsal field south of the stadium...most college bands have their own space...they honestly learn this stuff in about 6 days time - which is crazy. Music is handed out about 2 weeks before the show date. You get that memorized, and then learn the drill the week before. At OSU, the practices are everyday between 3:30 and 6ish (varies from year to year) but in that same slot. You usually have 2 or 3 shows in your brain ready to go by the end of the season.

and once you have done it, it gets real easy b/c there is a lot of similarity in the drill. Specifically for drumline, you spend a lot of time in the same formation, in the same area of the field in this situation. Your idea of spatial awareness becomes real keen on the similarities...sort of like understanding how to play a certain style of music

Back