For John Wesley...

gdmoore28

Gold Member
I keep asking people how they recorded their drum tracks and the H6 keeps showing up time and again. Seems to be the "go-to" recorder for a number of folks. It certainly did the job on your tracks, that's for sure.

GeeDeeEmm

Mongrel

Silver Member
I keep asking people how they recorded their drum tracks and the H6 keeps showing up time and again. Seems to be the "go-to" recorder for a number of folks. It certainly did the job on your tracks, that's for sure.

GeeDeeEmm
Using the stock configuration, I can run two condensers into channels 1 and 2, add a d6 on 3 and an i5 on 4. Then take the headphone out of my iPhone into the line in on the H6 mic capsule and the line out of the H6 into the mic inout on my Canon DSLR.

H6 has limiters, pads, decent preamps and splits the recording up into 6 tracks on an sd card. Pop thst into my PC, open Audacity, import tracks, make my adjustments, export track...done.

I'm an idiot with this stuff and even I got that much down....lol.

Stay tuned though...my Zoom LiveTrak L12 arrived this afternoon.

:D

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
You lost me....lol
I'm not sure what you mean either. You my friend are generally more eloquent in your posts.
I'm sorry guys. It's one of those posts where I was rushed, knew what I meant, but failed miserably to transmit my thoughts. I love the playing, and the whole premise of partnering the vocal with drums, but I kept on craving groove throughout the song. That's more of a reflection of my ingrained mental default expectation and limited mindset than anything to do with the performance.

johnwesley

Silver Member
I'm sorry guys. It's one of those posts where I was rushed, knew what I meant, but failed miserably to transmit my thoughts. I love the playing, and the whole premise of partnering the vocal with drums, but I kept on craving groove throughout the song. That's more of a reflection of my ingrained mental default expectation and limited mindset than anything to do with the performance.
Understand. Groove and getting in the pocket are styles that can hypnotize and draw people in. Kind of like Clyde Stubblefield with James Brown. Develop an ostinato phrase and play it over and over. Guys that are good at it like Stubblefield do it with change ups in the drums/cymbals they hit without losing the overall sound. The Bo Diddley beat comes to mind. You can play that over and over and through the song use different drums to keep the beat the same. Not sure I explained that very well but I get your passion Andy.

Mongrel

Silver Member
Appreciated...much appreciated Andy! Thank you for the gracious compliments. A good perspective for me to be reminded of-groove.

I normally hate going 'deep' lol, but strangely enough, when I re-listened to this piece again, I realized that what I was going for from the beginning was not groove, but tension. The song is 3 minutes of tension that never lets up. It never resolves-"spin and spin" endlessly chaotic (her references and life pictures). Not like a "loop" that revolves and resolves...or just...grooves.

I get "groove" I really do...think: Higher Ground by Stevie wonder. But *sometimes*, even in my own playing, groove starts to equal lazy. Find a pattern, repeat the pattern, move the pattern up, move the pattern down, repeat... But, trust me, I love to just dig in and groove.

I just did a couple quick takes at putting a groove to Little Wheel. Not sure if it works but I will put one up momentarily...

I'm ready for my closeup Mr. DeMille ...lol

Last edited:

oldskoolsoul

Silver Member
..but I kept on craving groove throughout the song..

Actually, i had the opposite..

If i would have written some, lets say, constructive feedback, i would have said that in my opinion the approach would have been even more interesting if the groove (or beat) would have been let go more..

Like, at this moment the song is more or less 'beat-oriented' played, as if playing a normal song (following kinda literally the rhythm of guitar and vocals), but without bass and a few breaks included..

I would suggest a much more 'free' approach, where the role of the drums is more to 'colour' around the vocals and guitar instead of basically following them..

But, like i said, this is just personal preference and not meant at all to criticize or anything like that..:)

Mongrel

Silver Member
Actually, i had the opposite..

If i would have written some, lets say, constructive feedback, i would have said that in my opinion the approach would have been even more interesting if the groove (or beat) would have been let go more..

Like, at this moment the song is more or less 'beat-oriented' played, as if playing a normal song (following kinda literally the rhythm of guitar and vocals), but without bass and a few breaks included..

I would suggest a much more 'free' approach, where the role of the drums is more to 'colour' around the vocals and guitar instead of basically following them..

But, like i said, this is just personal preference and not meant at all to criticize or anything like that..:)
I have often felt the same way... Great observations... Old Skool.

One day I will attempt an "orchestral" version-dropping the hats and the bass drum. Play the toms like concert toms and the cymbals with mallets. ;)

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Uh oh now you went and done it with a visual-now we can comment on your technique LOL. I like your take on it-I consider this sort of stuff "experimental" so it isn't really right or wrong (least in my eyes) but what proves most interesting or musically fitting. You can do it again and completely change the flavor of it. Reminds of my "experimental" video I did four years ago playing along with Sirius Watercolor jazz station-my ride hand was just this lazy (off set time wise) loose sporadic "free style" that boy did I get a lot of technique comments as I recollect-like so loose I was fixing to drop it-the irony now I got a death grip LOL. Oh yeah I still have it posted I see 9 thumbs up and 4 down-dang I'm surprised I'd give a thumbs down now LOL. I never really understand the thumbs up and down but add it to my list of stuff I don't understand.

Mongrel

Silver Member
Uh oh now you went and done it with a visual-now we can comment on your technique LOL. I like your take on it-I consider this sort of stuff "experimental" so it isn't really right or wrong (least in my eyes) but what proves most interesting or musically fitting. You can do it again and completely change the flavor of it. Reminds of my "experimental" video I did four years ago playing along with Sirius Watercolor jazz station-my ride hand was just this lazy (off set time wise) loose sporadic "free style" that boy did I get a lot of technique comments as I recollect-like so loose I was fixing to drop it-the irony now I got a death grip LOL. Oh yeah I still have it posted I see 9 thumbs up and 4 down-dang I'm surprised I'd give a thumbs down now LOL. I never really understand the thumbs up and down but add it to my list of stuff I don't understand.
I have no technique. The benefit of which is being immune to "technique critique". I wouldn't mind a few comments on technique just to see what real drummers saw when looking at my hands. I just do whatever I have to to get the stick where I want it, when I want it....lol.

Wait till I post a vid where I use cross, open, traditional-cross, traditional open ALL on the same tune.....lol.

Like you said-I'm doing this for fun. If I were making an audition tape it may (or honestly may not) look different.

At this point in my life I would only be interested in working on originals, variations, or interpretations. I have zero interest in doing "covers" where I would need to provide a note-for-note type of drum parts. Nothing against it, more power, fun, and enjoyment to those that do it, just never been something I wanted to pursue seriously.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I realized that what I was going for from the beginning was not groove, but tension. The song is 3 minutes of tension that never lets up. It never resolves-"spin and spin" endlessly chaotic (her references and life pictures).
The "not resolving" bit is what I was referring to when I said unsatisfying. I got the tension, lots of it, & that's the listening challenging bit, but my brain expected it to go somewhere else - come to ground so to speak.

Non of this is in any way criticism - just emptying my brain based on first impressions.

BTW, your tension version works much better than your groove version :)

Mongrel

Silver Member
The "not resolving" bit is what I was referring to when I said unsatisfying. I got the tension, lots of it, & that's the listening challenging bit, but my brain expected it to go somewhere else - come to ground so to speak.

Non of this is in any way criticism - just emptying my brain based on first impressions.

BTW, your tension version works much better than your groove version :)
Sincerely-appreciate your comments Andy. Give me *good* things to think about in how I approach things, thank you!

I think the problem between the two versions is one poured out of me...(the first) and the second was me chasing a groove I wasn't really feeling.

Definitely needs some woodshedding...

I am now toying with taking it completely down. lol.

You guys, collectively "are the best". thanks to all.