For Crying Out Loud! Play Appropriately!!!

I think we would all agree Iron Maiden is at level that they can control the sound they produce to a audience. Also the audience is not there to have a cocktail at the Holiday Inn. And they are not playing at the Holiday Inn. Hope that made some sense at least. Scream for me, Long Beach!!

If I'm at a show, and the music sucks, or it's not mixed well, or the lead singer is a drunk idiot--I LEAVE. Why stay and subject myself to unenjoyable music? :rolleyes:

If I'm at a show, and the music sucks, or it's not mixed well, or the lead singer is a drunk idiot--I LEAVE. Why stay and subject myself to unenjoyable music? :rolleyes:
I've been to two concerts in the mid-1970s, with Rush either headlining or the lead-off band. In both cases I had to leave 'cuz Geddy's singing was too painful to my ears. I felt dreadful leaving 'cuz I wanted to see such exquisite musicians play, but the discomfort was too much.

Warning- Opinion follows--

a. I think most live music is too loud, or, at least, tends to lean too much on emphasizing the bass drum. The other loudness often builds on that...

2. I always wear decent earplugs to live shows, whether band or audience... If I don't have them, I'll make something out of paper towels or napkins, it's still better than naked ears in the cacophonous sea...

c.3: I think we can all agree that a very few people at an Iron Maiden show would complain about the volume. :D

I think we would all agree Iron Maiden is at level that they can control the sound they produce to a audience. Also the audience is not there to have a cocktail at the Holiday Inn. And they are not playing at the Holiday Inn. Hope that made some sense at least. Scream for me, Long Beach!!
Excuse me, but having a cocktail at the Holiday Inn while Iron Maiden plays the bar seems like something I would really enjoy. :)

Warning- Opinion follows--

a. I think most live music is too loud, or, at least, tends to lean too much on emphasizing the bass drum. The other loudness often builds on that...

2. I always wear decent earplugs to live shows, whether band or audience... If I don't have them, I'll make something out of paper towels or napkins, it's still better than naked ears in the cacophonous sea...

c.3: I think we can all agree that a very few people at an Iron Maiden show would complain about the volume. :D

I wear earplugs to every performance I attend, regardless of whether I'm drumming or spectating. It should be standard procedure for anyone who wants to preserve his hearing.

I'm not sure this is a Drum forum or a olds folks home. If it's too loud you are too old. I would love to hear Maiden play at the Holiday Inn unfortunately The Holiday Inn I believe is gone now. If you wear ear plugs to preserve your ears. I guess smoking a cigarette or joint is out of the question. If you want to preserve your lungs.

I'm not sure this is a Drum forum or a olds folks home. If it's too loud you are too old. I would love to hear Maiden play at the Holiday Inn unfortunately The Holiday Inn I believe is gone now. If you wear ear plugs to preserve your ears. I guess smoking a cigarette or joint is out of the question. If you want to preserve your lungs.
I take it you've got good hearing and healthy lung function?
I hope so because that means you have time to preserve what you've got before it's gone forever.

Last edited:
Man you guys are acting REALLY OLD. I take it you got good hearing blah blah. And healthy lungs blah blah. Kind of a downer. Try HAM Radio forums. This one is for Drummers.

I've been to two concerts in the mid-1970s, with Rush either headlining or the lead-off band. In both cases I had to leave 'cuz Geddy's singing was too painful to my ears. I felt dreadful leaving 'cuz I wanted to see such exquisite musicians play, but the discomfort was too much.

From what I read, PA systems up until the late 70s/early 80s were truly awful. They had a lot of distortion and poor frequency response. That's part of the reason why there were a gazillion guitar amps on stage back then, because the PA sounded so bad a lot of the times that musicians would not want to run through the mains and have it come out of the amps. So only vocals and "maybe" drums (if it was a larger venue) were sent through the main PA.

Nowadays PA's are so freaking good you don't need half stacks anymore, just a decent combo that has good breakup, mic that shit all up and run it through the PA, and you have a good balanced sound.

While I do like Geddy's voice, I can see, especially in the mid 70's when he was even schreechier than he was later, going through those shitty PA's at the time....that it could sound pretty damn unbearable in concert.

No one smokes 'a' cigarette - tobacco's
a tragic and pointless addiction and, yes, tumours can impinge on the appreciation of live music.

Nah. If it's too loud, it's too loud cos the sound man's a friggin idiot. There's a difference between powerful sound and painful, garbage sound.
And if you buy music by weight instead of quality you might not be as great a 'young' drummer as you imagine.

Man you guys are acting REALLY OLD. I take it you got good hearing blah blah. And healthy lungs blah blah. Kind of a downer. Try HAM Radio forums. This one is for Drummers.

You're soooo hardcore, dude. :rolleyes:
It's your hearing........for now. You want to talk about a downer?.......Just wait until later in life when you have permanent hearing loss and ringing in your ears (tinnitus). Enjoy your hearing (and silence) while you can because it'll be gone before you know it. Warning over.
Now go enjoy those shows right in front of the mains and enjoy those cigarettes. Life is short so why not make it more miserable and shorter, right?
Rock on, man. <In my best stoner voice> ??

Back