For Crying Out Loud! Play Appropriately!!!

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Rant on!

I went to watch a band I’ve seen before. They have been mildly entertaining to this point. Great guitar players. Strong vocals and range and singing is in key. They have struggled with drummers though!

The first I saw had no volume or time. You could never hear him, except for the timing mishaps and the same fill over and over. Evidently, he didn’t work out, so last night was a new drummer.

This new guy was anything but sheepish about his playing. Things kicked off with super loud drums. I mean super loud. At first I thought the mics were too hot, but then realized there weren’t any! Amps and vocal grew to match and it was just chaotic from there. At break, one of the guys asked me how they sounded and I told him how loud it was and he said that’s actually quieter than last week and the drummer had a ton of power! No kidding! I couldn’t play half that loud without my wrists shattering!

The whole night was the drummer’s show. Fills, cymbal smashes crazy beats where the money beat belonged, etc.

The whole night was just abusive to the ears and mind. If that picture describes you, please have someone share a few recordings with you. No one should be subject to that type of assault.

I’m not trying to bash anyone here, but feel this is EXACTLY why there’s so few opportunities to play out and why were being replaced by canned music, DJs or acoustic duos. At least that seems the case around me.

We drummers constantly get a bad rap, but some is likely well deserved. I still firmly believe people want to see live music, but no one wants the full blown assault. Having the ability to dance, have a conversation and relax is part of it too.

Of course, Ignore if you’re genre and venue require Mosh pits! In that case, blast away.

Rant off!

Why not lay the groundwork to become their next drummer? Assuming you want to play with them, of course. They've already fired one drummer for not working out, and I strongly suspect they'll be firing their current drummer as well. You could be their savior!

Seems like there not playing to the audience, atmosphere, or venue size , there playing for themselves but what do I know.
Going to go see an Iron Maiden tribute band tonight and recon the band hopefully not the same experience as you had

Seems like there not playing to the audience, atmosphere, or venue size , there playing for themselves but what do I know.
Going to go see an Iron Maiden tribute band tonight and recon the band hopefully not the same experience as you had

Uhh.....are you familiar with Iron Maiden? They aren't exactly the type of band who's typical audience is there to dance, have conversation and relax.
Or were you being facetious?

Why not lay the groundwork to become their next drummer? Assuming you want to play with them, of course. They've already fired one drummer for not working out, and I strongly suspect they'll be firing their current drummer as well. You could be their savior!
Sadly, I haven’t been able to align my obligations with a full time band. They have actually asked me to play and we have jammed together several times.

I didn’t post because of this particular band. I literally see this 9 out of 10 times around here and it’s just sad.

I would expect the Iron Maiden tribute band to sound exactly like them. Volume, Eddie and all!

Maybe the drummer couldn't play for a while and was just pent up from being quarantined?

So what's the name of the band? I know it's not Pelvic Meatloaf. Their drummer John is pretty stable. Where were they playing? Club Red? Joe's Grotto?

Rant on!

I went to watch a band I’ve seen before. They have been mildly entertaining to this point. Great guitar players. Strong vocals and range and singing is in key. They have struggled with drummers though!

The first I saw had no volume or time. You could never hear him, except for the timing mishaps and the same fill over and over. Evidently, he didn’t work out, so last night was a new drummer.

This new guy was anything but sheepish about his playing. Things kicked off with super loud drums. I mean super loud. At first I thought the mics were too hot, but then realized there weren’t any! Amps and vocal grew to match and it was just chaotic from there. At break, one of the guys asked me how they sounded and I told him how loud it was and he said that’s actually quieter than last week and the drummer had a ton of power! No kidding! I couldn’t play half that loud without my wrists shattering!

The whole night was the drummer’s show. Fills, cymbal smashes crazy beats where the money beat belonged, etc.

The whole night was just abusive to the ears and mind. If that picture describes you, please have someone share a few recordings with you. No one should be subject to that type of assault.

I’m not trying to bash anyone here, but feel this is EXACTLY why there’s so few opportunities to play out and why were being replaced by canned music, DJs or acoustic duos. At least that seems the case around me.

We drummers constantly get a bad rap, but some is likely well deserved. I still firmly believe people want to see live music, but no one wants the full blown assault. Having the ability to dance, have a conversation and relax is part of it too.

Of course, Ignore if you’re genre and venue require Mosh pits! In that case, blast away.

Rant off!
agreed,this can also be the other way around? i keep telling my guitar player that things like Assault, dance,conversation and relax music is all part of the gig ,he looks at me with two heads and cranks it up ?

It sounds both irritating and distasteful. I've always been more impressed by ambient drumming -- that which blends seamlessly with the music rather than obliterating it through boorish dynamics and ostentatious chops. A drummer begging for front-stage attention should resolve to switching instruments. Even then, I don't like showoff guitarists or bassists either. Nothing is more cacophonous than incessant solos.

I've seen bands get fired because they were too loud. Some guys think they are playing stadiums when they are just in a neighborhood bar.

Come on now, it’s art. How can you argue anything against these guys if it’s an expression of their art? Maybe they mean everything you see and hear up there, and it’s by design?

What’s really annoying is when you’re mixing a band like this and audience members keep telling you you’ve got the drums too loud. And you have have to stay and listen to them for the whole gig - you can’t leave!

Come on now, it’s art. How can you argue anything against these guys if it’s an expression of their art? Maybe they mean everything you see and hear up there, and it’s by design?

There's good art and there's bad art. This could be bad art. It has the glaring characteristics of miscomprehension.

The line between too much and not enough is pretty fine.

Back