For Crying Out Loud! Play Appropriately!!!

wraub

I like having volume, and loud music, when appropriate.
I like having my acute hearing when needed.

I usually need my hearing more often than I need loud music.
I wear earplugs.

moodman

Man you guys are acting REALLY OLD. I take it you got good hearing blah blah. And healthy lungs blah blah. Kind of a downer. Try HAM Radio forums. This one is for Drummers.
I AM really old, never wear hearing protection, have forgotten more gigs than you will ever play and burned more weed too.
Play as loud as you can and with lots of attitude, you'll go far.

dale w miller

Silver Member
I'm not sure this is a Drum forum or a olds folks home. If it's too loud you are too old. I would love to hear Maiden play at the Holiday Inn unfortunately The Holiday Inn I believe is gone now. If you wear ear plugs to preserve your ears. I guess smoking a cigarette or joint is out of the question. If you want to preserve your lungs.
Rockstar!

Old Dog new Cans

I've been to two concerts in the mid-1970s, with Rush either headlining or the lead-off band. In both cases I had to leave 'cuz Geddy's singing was too painful to my ears. I felt dreadful leaving 'cuz I wanted to see such exquisite musicians play, but the discomfort was too much.
I was at a 3 doors down concert nearly 20 yrs ago. They were damn popular at the time. And it obviously inflated the lead singer's head. They came out 45 minutes late (channeling his inner Axl Rose I suppose), and he nearly fell over after being up there for 5 minutes. Me and my buddy looked at each other, laughed and shook our heads as we turned to leave. You couldn't even understand what he was vomiting into the mic. Wretched. You take a small chance with live music. Not like I wanted my ticket $ back. But I sure as heck wasn't staying.

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
There was a drummer at a church I attended back in the day. He played so hard he cracked every cymbal except the hats, and dented the heads beyond their ability to resonate. When I would run lights, I’d look over at the FOH guy and he was pissed. There was nothing he could do. All faders were off. There was also a semi-circle plexi shield in use and this guy would bury the vocals without regard for anything musical. The gal running overheads (lyrics and Power Point stuff) called him “Animal”, which was appropriate.

It completely killed any sense of worship in the sanctuary, but he didn’t care. When band members called him out on it, he defended himself by saying, “I’m worshipping.”
This is why it’s good for churches to pay the musicians. Then there’s someone in charge to make the tough calls.

TK-421

Once you’ve turned all the drum mics down to zero and they’re still too loud, there’s not much else you can do.
Someone should invent an "inverse" mic that sucks away sound rather than amplify it. Actually, that would REALLY come in handy for certain gigs.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
Someone should invent an "inverse" mic that sucks away sound rather than amplify it. Actually, that would REALLY come in handy for certain gigs.
Hmmmm....I wonder if one can move overheads around enough to cause a phase interference?

BruceW

Man you guys are acting REALLY OLD. I take it you got good hearing blah blah. And healthy lungs blah blah. Kind of a downer. Try HAM Radio forums. This one is for Drummers.
Joe Walsh is a licensed ham radio operator (WB6ACU), and I expect he plays fairly loud upon occasion. He's been licensed since the 60's or the 70's, can't remember specifically, which happens when you get old....so it's not something he's come to since getting old himself. (I'm also licensed, N1VLQ, but I don't play as loud as Joe...;) tho I have hit them some)

Last edited:

AzHeat

Platinum Member
A pair of 26" Bose noise cancelling speaker diaphragms on each side of the kit?
I wish I had some large speakers. I'd be for testing this out at my house! It'd be a breeze to switch the phase out 180 degrees.
Forget insulating the walls! Someone has had to have tested this

I just saw this on Acoustic Cloaking: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/phase-demystified

It'd be tough to implement on stage, but as a home solution....may work

moodman

No thing goose, we're all drummers, even my ancient self.
I do love to be all mic'd up, loud and rockin' the world at an outdoor gig, for instance. But there is another dimension added to music when dynamic texturing becomes a part of your playing. Trust me, good dynamics will get you way more work than mad chops. For a band, both groove and dynamics are done 'by committee' and that can make it hard to get to if all aren't into listening and playing mindfully. That's why it is important to play with the best players you can or, at least, with players close to the same level of development.

Weave2112

I'll take dynamics and taste over all the chops in the world. YouTube is full of terrible drums and ridiculously trashy cymbals. And yet, I find myself watching all the time. Get off my lawn!

Whew! Rant over....for now.

bonerpizza

Silver Member
I've never been to a show watching a band and thought "I wish the cymbals were louder", it's normally the opposite.

I have some friends that are in a rock band where the drummer just smashes everything the entire time, zero dynamics even on the "pretty" guitar parts, I've never watched an entire show of theirs because of how abrasive his drumming is. He gets the brightest cymbals and just smashes on them constantly, also he has like 3 blankets in his bass drum. I mentioned these things to the guitarist and he got really defensive.

GOOSE72

Thanks Bruce didn't mean to offend. I heard Joe was a Ham Operator wonder if he is still active? Anyway all good Bruce My sense of humor can get sideways sometimes I apologize.