For Crying Out Loud! Play Appropriately!!!

RayI

Uhh.....are you familiar with Iron Maiden? They aren't exactly the type of band who's typical audience is there to dance, have conversation and relax.
Or were you being facetious?
BeinHumorous
Uhh.....are you familiar with Iron Maiden? They aren't exactly the type of band who's typical audience is there to dance, have conversation and relax.
Or were you being facetious?
Indeed seeing I.M tribute band is not like having dinner and wine with back ground music.
I expect loud

AzHeat

Platinum Member
So what's the name of the band? I know it's not Pelvic Meatloaf. Their drummer John is pretty stable. Where were they playing? Club Red? Joe's Grotto?
I’m not trying to shame any band here. Just pointing out something that seems unfortunately prevalent around here. Seems you’re experiencing it too?

wraub

As Joe's Grotto has been closed for a while, perhaps it's an old complaint. ;)

I’m not trying to shame any band here. Just pointing out something that seems unfortunately prevalent around here. Seems you’re experiencing it too?

Chunkaway

Silver Member
What type band was playing? Originals? Covers? Jazz? Metal? What was the venue? Some context might help us to understand the situation a bit better, although I do completely agree about the prevalence of drummers who play too loudly.

AzHeat

Platinum Member
What type band was playing? Originals? Covers? Jazz? Metal? What was the venue? Some context might help us to understand the situation a bit better, although I do completely agree about the prevalence of drummers who play too loudly.
70s and up cover tunes at a local sports bar/ steakhouse with a dance floor. Good sized place with a nice stage. Age group was 30 - 80 from what I could see.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
70s and up cover tunes at a local sports bar/ steakhouse with a dance floor. Good sized place with a nice stage. Age group was 30 - 80 from what I could see.
That‘s what I was afraid of. I’d bet that drummer is thinking, “This is my time to shine!” Ugh...How did the rest of the band seem to be reacting to his playing? How about the rest of the audience?

AzHeat

Platinum Member
That‘s what I was afraid of. I’d bet that drummer is thinking, “This is my time to shine!” Ugh...How did the rest of the band seem to be reacting to his playing? How about the rest of the audience?
This band uses shields in front of the amps to control stage volume, then mics up through the PA. Band members knew to bring ear plugs. Wish I had mine. It was a good turnout considering social distancing would only allow the place 1/3 of its capacity.

They had four sets, but at least half (mid to upper age group) cleared out by the second set. I was there with them! When I’ve seen them at prior gigs, the age group is much the same and same type of venues and people would stick around till midnight.

I mostly see bands with missed opportunities around here. Either it’s the same ol songs and sloppy playing or someone or more is completely out of control. Pretty sad.

Live music isn’t dead yet, but so many of us are making sure it dies a painful one. In this case, all it would have taken to save the night was to bring lighter sticks, leave the wood beater home, cut out all the rim shots, dial in the flailing arms, something...anything!

moodman

Good dynamics are not present in a lot of the compressed music we hear. Too bad, dynamics are more important than chops. I wouldn't want to play in a band that had hired a hack on drums, dynamics should be the whole band's responsibility, that's how a good band works.

Yamaha Rider

What’s really annoying is when you’re mixing a band like this and audience members keep telling you you’ve got the drums too loud. And you have have to stay and listen to them for the whole gig - you can’t leave!
Why don't you mix the drums down then? If only in revenge?

mikyok

Platinum Member
Hang on chaps........

Leave him be, he's making us look far better drummers than we are!

On a serious note there's nothing worse than a 'musician' that can't listen and has to be louder than everyone else aka empty pipes make the most noise syndrome. They're ususally the first to complain that the sound is crap too!

cbphoto

Gold Member
Once you’ve turned all the drum mics down to zero and they’re still too loud, there’s not much else you can do.
There was a drummer at a church I attended back in the day. He played so hard he cracked every cymbal except the hats, and dented the heads beyond their ability to resonate. When I would run lights, I’d look over at the FOH guy and he was pissed. There was nothing he could do. All faders were off. There was also a semi-circle plexi shield in use and this guy would bury the vocals without regard for anything musical. The gal running overheads (lyrics and Power Point stuff) called him “Animal”, which was appropriate.

It completely killed any sense of worship in the sanctuary, but he didn’t care. When band members called him out on it, he defended himself by saying, “I’m worshipping.”

AzHeat

Platinum Member
There was a drummer at a church I attended back in the day. He played so hard he cracked every cymbal except the hats, and dented the heads beyond their ability to resonate. When I would run lights, I’d look over at the FOH guy and he was pissed. There was nothing he could do. All faders were off. There was also a semi-circle plexi shield in use and this guy would bury the vocals without regard for anything musical. The gal running overheads (lyrics and Power Point stuff) called him “Animal”, which was appropriate.

It completely killed any sense of worship in the sanctuary, but he didn’t care. When band members called him out on it, he defended himself by saying, “I’m worshipping.”
Even more annoying in that setting. We had the same situation with my last worship band. One drummer just wouldn't listen. he also kept insisting on playing on all the big dates, Christmas, Easter, etc., and would then turn the whole experience on it's head. When they stopped calling on him, he got mad and left the church. Seemed he was all about stroking his ego, then playing to the music, venue and experience. He couldn't even bring himself to try and learn to accommodate the requests. Can't say I was sad to see him go, but if someone can't even bring themselves to adjust to a worship director's request, than I can't see him ever adjusting to any singer or guitarist asking to adjust to the circumstance!

In this same band, one of the guitarists couldn't hold time and kept blaming me for the timing slips. He wasn't having any part of me telling him otherwise, so I plugged in the metronome and never heard a peep from him again. In fact, the metronome became a pretty regular thing during practice and even some live songs. At least this guy could be convinced and adjusted.