Footage of Buddy rich doing Bonham; does anyone have?

Aeolian

Platinum Member
Led zepplin don't know how to play?
Man he is such full of himself, I can puke.
Remember, he was talking about being dragged along to a concert. And many live Zep shows were out of tune and sloppy as he said. Page strung out, Plant singing off key. If that was his first or only exposure to them then his comments would make sense considering the discipline he came from. I don't think he liked avant garde or the drug addled bebopers either. Consider that he set the bar pretty high for musicianship, both for himself and anyone in his band. Some wasted guys playing out of tune and slopply over 12 bar blues progressions, or simple vamps (remember, Rich was coming from a pretty sophisticated musical place) wouldn't impress him much. Maybe if he'd been exposed to the tighter studio recordings, he might have a different opinion.

Overg

Remember, he was talking about being dragged along to a concert. And many live Zep shows were out of tune and sloppy as he said. Page strung out, Plant singing off key. If that was his first or only exposure to them then his comments would make sense considering the discipline he came from. I don't think he liked avant garde or the drug addled bebopers either. Consider that he set the bar pretty high for musicianship, both for himself and anyone in his band. Some wasted guys playing out of tune and slopply over 12 bar blues progressions, or simple vamps (remember, Rich was coming from a pretty sophisticated musical place) wouldn't impress him much. Maybe if he'd been exposed to the tighter studio recordings, he might have a different opinion.
Could be, but he was referring to the show in Madison square garden, if he is also referring to the same historic recorded show, then I don't know what he is talking about, but I guess I can understand what you say.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Led zepplin don't know how to play?
Man he is such full of himself, I can puke.
Actually, it was Parky who talked about musos who can't play after Buddy's diatribe about Led Zep, but Buddy didn't disagree. If they thought Zep couldn't play, they'd struggle with today's most popular entertainers.

Like all closed-minded people, he saw himself as an oasis of commonsense pointing out all the emperors with no clothes, while actually showing himself to be hugely narrow-minded. Great drummer but close-minded - guess you can't have everything. Actually, I found him likeable and entertaining because he was so natural and such a loose cannon :)

I relate to his frustration about the lack of recognition of quality artists. A bummer, but it's just how things have been for a long time.

On topic: Animal, I can't find the clip you're looking for. Maybe email the people at Buddy's web site? It might be amongst the members-only clips.

Strangelove

Gold Member
Actually, it was Parky who talked about musos who can't play after Buddy's diatribe about Led Zep, but Buddy didn't disagree. If they thought Zep couldn't play, they'd struggle with today's most popular entertainers.

Like all closed-minded people, he saw himself as an oasis of commonsense pointing out all the emperors with no clothes, while actually showing himself to be hugely narrow-minded. Great drummer but close-minded - guess you can't have everything. Actually, I found him likeable and entertaining because he was so natural and such a loose cannon :)

I relate to his frustration about the lack of recognition of quality artists. A bummer, but it's just how things have been for a long time.

On topic: Animal, I can't find the clip you're looking for. Maybe email the people at Buddy's web site? It might be amongst the members-only clips.
Yeah, it seems like he also laid a slight at Ringo in that interview, too, calling him a "funny drummer". Probably because he was reared in the Big Band era, he had no respect for drummers that didn't dizzy people with their chops on every song. Today, and really for the past 30-40 years, the music industry has not really required the most talented musicians. I remember reading where one producer stated if he wanted talented musicians, he would just go pick up some of the usual grandstanders at Guitar Center, but who really needs them? Another thought on Buddy. We have to put a few social truths in order for the era. He was part of a generation that generally despised the shaggy, hairy, "hippie freaks", and ALL that they represented. He may seem like a cool guy, but everybody has their limits.