Foot control problem? (not double bass)

schist

Silver Member
Hello again,

I find I am having problems playing 8th-note doubles with my foot at the higher "leg motion" speeds (ie. 150-160BPM), for some reason both hits don't come out cleanly and I often find myself rushing them.

For instance, at 1:18 into this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYNkVNXlfkw, I always seem to rush those doubles and indeed the entire section and it ends up sounding like s**t. On top of that, it causes my right hand to rush/skip notes when playing 8ths at that tempo along with it.

Now I'm certain it's a foot control problem, so I'm asking if anyone has any suggestions/exercises that might help remedy this.

zlumpy

In regards to playing doubles with my foot, after trying to do it for a while unsuccessfully, one day while practicing I just found I can do it. The best I can tell, what I do is not the slide technique, which involves kicking once, and sliding your foot down the pedal and kicking again. I take advantage of the slight rebound of the beater on the head, and sort of kick again. This is not two separate strokes; I kind of just help the rebound along a little, and after practice, this has led to fast, clean doubles. Once you figure this out, it's very likely your doubles won't be clean at first. That's just a matter of practice.

Also, the feel of beater rebound varies with kick pedal tension, but I find that this specific method is easier to use with higher spring tension. This may be different for you.

schist

Silver Member
But that's the thing - I can play fast 16th-note doubles with one foot at the same speed (like during the verses in the aforementioned song). If I try doing them as 8ths, just one hit after another at that speed, I often find myself rushing and lose control.

Tim Waterson

WFD ACEDRUMMER
But that's the thing - I can play fast 16th-note doubles with one foot at the same speed (like during the verses in the aforementioned song). If I try doing them as 8ths, just one hit after another at that speed, I often find myself rushing and lose control.
Try this LOOSEN your pedal springs as loose as they will go .
This will HELP you LEARN to control the pedals as wont get extra bounce.
Tim

Duracell

Hmmm perhaps it's simply that at this tempo range your fast double 8ths are the same speed as your slow double 16th's. You most likely use a different technique for performing both (even if it's a slight difference). It could be that you are getting confused somehow.

If I were you I'd look at what my foot is actually doing when reaching that 150-160 bpm zone and compare it to my foot technique at 140 bpm. If all else fails it might just be a case of practice practice practice. Lower tempo to a comfortable speed and gradually work up from there.

JT1

Silver Member
Hello again,

I find I am having problems playing 8th-note doubles with my foot at the higher "leg motion" speeds (ie. 150-160BPM), for some reason both hits don't come out cleanly and I often find myself rushing them.

For instance, at 1:18 into this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYNkVNXlfkw, I always seem to rush those doubles and indeed the entire section and it ends up sounding like s**t. On top of that, it causes my right hand to rush/skip notes when playing 8ths at that tempo along with it.

Now I'm certain it's a foot control problem, so I'm asking if anyone has any suggestions/exercises that might help remedy this.
Hey schist, well i had problems with my single bass playing for a while and i'll say it was to do with playing double bass and i thought i could pull off slower tempo drumming on one foot using techniques to go fast. I just forgot how to control the pedal but i randomly found it again when experimenting with sitting on different positions on the throne. Here's an idea for you, Sit in the middle of your throne so your legs are comfortable with your feet resting on the floor, instead of using all ankle which i'm assuming is what you use to execute these quick 16th note doubles, use your whole leg to stomp on the pedal. You'll find you can do this up to those speeds no problem and if it feels uncomfortable raise your heel but don't use your ankle!