Follow up on a thread by Andy ( keep it simple)

wombat

A while ago Andy posted a thread about English ash being threatened by "dieback" and its impact on the Origin Series of Guru drums through limited supply of quality ash wood

see link to "Damn - just when you think everything is working out :( "
http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96703&highlight=supplies

I thought I would ask what happened in the end regarding the spread of the disease (which is a tradgedy in itself...probably like "jarrah dieback" here in West Australia...sad to see magnificent trees die)... and a possible "tradgedy for Guru in particular and other artisan users of the wood who turn it into "hi end" products....

I hope things worked out OK in the end.....

Fraser

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your concern Fraser :)

The affect on Guru is of minute concern compared to the impact on our woodlands. Please find below a map showing predicted infection by 2018. Given that many woodlands have an average of 20% English Ash content, the devastation of indigenous species landscape is horrendous, especially as some oak is also under threat at this time by some weird toxic moth!

Somewhat perversely, availability of English ash logs that we can fashion into suitable boards has increased, partially as a result of "selective culling". Long term, I have no idea where this is going, but I cannot see an upside.

We're one of the very few drum builders who use English ash, & probably the only ones using it in solid form, so the affect on the drum building sector in general will be non existent.

Attachments

wombat

The loss of 20 to 30% of woodland is very significant and really sad Andy, especially when the species effected are "indigenous" to Britain.

Hopefully they can contain the spread to East Anglia. That will be hard given its a fungal disease and presumably be spread by people entering contaminated areas and then going to pristine areas without decontaminating themselves or their vehicles.

Sadly in Western Australia we have a fungus which attacks Jarrah and Banksia trees causing "Jarrah dieback"

It is spread throughout the South / South West of WA and there is some conjecture that the spread may intensify as the effects of global warming become more pronounced. This is because the fungus thrives in warm moist conditions.

Here is a map of the outbreak

and a photo of the area of Hardwood forrest (dark green) as seen from space (roughly the size of England / Scotland combined.

Most of the hardwood species ( Jarrah, Karri, Marri,Tuart etc) are only found in WA and once they are gone theyre gone.