Flying tom from Tama Classic flat base stand?

Stroman

Diamond Member
Have any of you used the Tama Classic flat based hardware? Specifically, I'm wondering if the cymbal stands are stable enough to fly a 12" tom off of one. I also like to fly my ride cymbal via a cymbal arm attached to a straight stand.

I've always used big double-braced stands, but I'd like to save a little (or a lot!) of weight.

I can say definitively from my personal experience that it won’t work. Like you might get away with it at home, but it’s a guaranteed disaster on an uneven floor. Unless you put a sand bag or other weight on the leg opposite the tom.

I can say definitively from my personal experience that it won’t work. Like you might get away with it at home, but it’s a guaranteed disaster on an uneven floor. Unless you put a sand bag or other weight on the leg opposite the tom.
Thanks for the input.

Just to be clear, you've tried these Tama stands specifically, or are you referring more to flat base stands in general?

If you want light weight but also hanging a tom, look at the Yamaha Crosstown stuff. You need a tripod-type leg base. It’s physics that those flimsy flat based stands are not meant to fly big stuff off of. The tripod is just a better build for that stuff.

BUT - if you’re all about saving hardware weight, you’re only adding what, another 5lbs. If you got a second flat-based snare stand to put your tom on?

If you want light weight but also hanging a tom, look at the Yamaha Crosstown stuff. You need a tripod-type leg base. It’s physics that those flimsy flat based stands are not meant to fly big stuff off of. The tripod is just a better build for that stuff.

BUT - if you’re all about saving hardware weight, you’re only adding what, another 5lbs. If you got a second flat-based snare stand to put your tom on?

I've considered the Crosstown, too, or even the Yamaha 700 series.

My concern with the Crosstowns is the aluminum tubing. How does it hold up to things being clamped on it?

I suppose I should point out, in addition to weight savings, I'm looking for a second set of hardware so I have a full set for each kit. Part of my interest in the Tama was the bundle itself. It has exactly the pieces I need, plus a bag. Most others have things I don't really need.

First world problems, I know. 😊

PS - regarding the snare stand, I really don't like toms on snare stands. Just not my thing.

I've considered the Crosstown, too, or even the Yamaha 700 series.

My concern with the Crosstowns is the aluminum tubing. How does it hold up to things being clamped on it?

I suppose I should point out, in addition to weight savings, I'm looking for a second set of hardware so I have a full set for each kit. Part of my interest in the Tama was the bundle itself. It has exactly the pieces I need, plus a bag. Most others have things I don't really need.

First world problems, I know. 😊

PS - regarding the snare stand, I really don't like toms on snare stands. Just not my thing.
I don’t trust the Crosstown to hang stuff on either, but you’re saving on weight - even more weight savings than with the new flat-based hardware. But I’ve clamped cowbell mounts and small arms for splash cymbals and the CrossTowns handle those well. For me, adding the extra snare stand for my 10x14 rack tom only meant another 3lbs! Check out the Steve Jordan video where he talks about his stuff for The Rolling Stones tour - the CrossTowns work - and you don’t have to worry about them falling over in the wind.

Yeah, for a 10x14 or 12x15 I could see a snare stand. Mine is a little 8x12 though, and I like it snuggled in tight over the bass drum.

I'll check out the Jordan video.

Yeah, for a 10x14 or 12x15 I could see a snare stand. Mine is a little 8x12 though, and I like it snuggled in tight over the bass drum.

I'll check out the Jordan video.
Cool. He’s using it for a 9x13. Cooler thing on the Yamaha Crosstown snare stands is that they’re using a softer pliable rubber for the basket. My heavy 10x14 floats really nice on it. A lot of snare stands these days use cheap hard plastic and that really robs the tone. At least Yamaha doesn’t do that.

Thanks for the input.

Just to be clear, you've tried these Tama stands specifically, or are you referring more to flat base stands in general?
The Tama Classics specifically. I bought a full set because I have good experiences with other Tama hardware, and after a couple years I sold them all because they weren’t rugged enough for my needs; that includes them toppling over when I tried to fly extra stuff like toms or extra cymbal arms off them.

I love my Tama Classics for most indoor gigs. I wouldn’t fly a tom off of one. I bought the extra tom stand. It works great for one rack tom and doesn’t weigh much more than a standard clamp and tom arm.

The Tama Classics specifically. I bought a full set because I have good experiences with other Tama hardware, and after a couple years I sold them all because they weren’t rugged enough for my needs; that includes them toppling over when I tried to fly extra stuff like toms or extra cymbal arms off them.
Thanks, that's just the kind of feedback I was looking for.

Thanks to Bo and Doug, too. Looks like the consensus is, choose something else for the tom.

Appreciate it!

Have any of you used the Tama Classic flat based hardware? Specifically, I'm wondering if the cymbal stands are stable enough to fly a 12" tom off of one. I also like to fly my ride cymbal via a cymbal arm attached to a straight stand.

I've always used big double-braced stands, but I'd like to save a little (or a lot!) of weight.

If you have the brackets necessary to do this, there's nothing wrong with ordering the stand and trying it out. Try it out for a couple of days, and if it doesn't work, send it back.

Unless you put a sand bag or other weight on the leg opposite the tom.
This should be 100% unnecessary- the tom (or any other secondary item) should be centered over one of the legs, resulting in there not being an opposite leg at all- just like with your tom and Sonor stand in your next post.

This should be 100% unnecessary- the tom (or any other secondary item) should be centered over one of the legs, resulting in there not being an opposite leg at all- just like with your tom and Sonor stand in your next post.
The legs of the Tama Classic cymbal stand are too short and flimsy for that to work. I tried.

I didn’t think about until now, but I don’t think most clamps will tighten down enough to clamp onto the top section of a Tama Classic stand. It’s too thin. Unless you like your tom really low, the middle section won’t go high enough. Some clamps might not even clamp on to that.

I didn’t think about until now, but I don’t think most clamps will tighten down enough to clamp onto the top section of a Tama Classic stand. It’s too thin. Unless you like your tom really low, the middle section won’t go high enough. Some clamps might not even clamp on to that.
That's a good point. The stands I'm using now have pretty thick tubing. I'm not sure how small a tube the Ludwig clamp will grip.

I have flown toms in off my DW 6000 stands before, but I didn't feel super confident with how much they flopped around.

They didn't quite fall over though.

You could fit the Yamaha Tom mount tripod holder into crosstown base. If you're using Yamaha or 7/8 Hardware, of course.

Last edited:
Back