Florian Alexandru-Zorn - Blast Beats with Brushes.

JohnW

Silver Member
I would get his DVD in a heartbeat. For a few different reasons:

1) The production and playing is beautiful, so even if you you just get it for entertainment, it's worth it.

2) It's inspiring and gets you to want to jump right into playing, even if you don't follow the lessons systematically. Interviews, trading ideas and playing examples with people like Stanton Moore and Benny Greb, etc. will definitely get the creative juices flowing

3) It's a treasure trove of information and will keep you busy for quite some time. Maybe years. If you follow steps systematically you'll be surprised at the progress you'll make.

I've used this DVD for all 3 of the above reasons in the short time that I've had it. No one will confuse me with Ed Thigpen or Jeff Hamilton, but I'm definitely starting to feel more of a connection to the brushes in that they're not just filler for quiet songs. My son plays string bass and when I play brushes along with him there's a little more 'snap' in my sound and he's more interested in keeping playing. It's been well worth it.

-John

I would get his DVD in a heartbeat. For a few different reasons:

1) The production and playing is beautiful, so even if you you just get it for entertainment, it's worth it.

2) It's inspiring and gets you to want to jump right into playing, even if you don't follow the lessons systematically. Interviews, trading ideas and playing examples with people like Stanton Moore and Benny Greb, etc. will definitely get the creative juices flowing

3) It's a treasure trove of information and will keep you busy for quite some time. Maybe years. If you follow steps systematically you'll be surprised at the progress you'll make.

I've used this DVD for all 3 of the above reasons in the short time that I've had it. No one will confuse me with Ed Thigpen or Jeff Hamilton, but I'm definitely starting to feel more of a connection to the brushes in that they're not just filler for quiet songs. My son plays string bass and when I play brushes along with him there's a little more 'snap' in my sound and he's more interested in keeping playing. It's been well worth it.

-John
I got the DVD and his book (his book is in German but it is most definitely great!)

I've still to watch the DVD (always busy doing something else so it may be a few weeks before I get to watch it).
He definitely encouraged and showed people how to get their own sound from the brushes and how to apply ideas. He was such a great guy too!

Chunky

Silver Member
I've reached my d/l limit on my phone for this month so I can't watch the vid.

Is he actually blasting with brushes or did you just name the thread that to get curious idiots like me to check it out?

If he is then I need a new, more powerfull word for WHAT?!!!

I've reached my d/l limit on my phone for this month so I can't watch the vid.

Is he actually blasting with brushes or did you just name the thread that to get curious idiots like me to check it out?

If he is then I need a new, more powerfull word for WHAT?!!!
It's more of a thing he calls blast beats for brushes, it's pretty cool though! And it sounds cool, and sounds like a blast beat only on heads haha!