Floor Toms for Dummies (ok, me)

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
No one is listening to your music-they are arguing over "Toms" . It is Thanksgiving so time to see who has longest beard Jake or TomTurkey. Gobble, Gobble. Toms win-time to practice your "chops" on the toms. Then you can bake or smoke-I"m smoking mine. I'd mix it up for a country band and bring a 17 piece Bozzio kit-just for the solo.

NackAttack

I also like the unison snare/floor tom sound for build ups an lead-ins.
I’m surprised there were so many comments before this was mentioned. I think this alone is worth having a FT. It might not have a place in every song or genre but how can you refrain from doing this when you’re just jamming?

Yamaha Rider

No one is listening to your music-they are arguing over "Toms" . It is Thanksgiving so time to see who has longest beard Jake or TomTurkey. Gobble, Gobble. Toms win-time to practice your "chops" on the toms. Then you can bake or smoke-I"m smoking mine. I'd mix it up for a country band and bring a 17 piece Bozzio kit-just for the solo.
And a close-formation squadron of low flying cymbals I hope!
Ps. My thread was actually all about toms. The smut pandemic was a spontaneous visitation.

Yamaha Rider

I’m surprised there were so many comments before this was mentioned. I think this alone is worth having a FT. It might not have a place in every song or genre but how can you refrain from doing this when you’re just jamming?
Now I'd do that with my bass drum and save an extra trip out to the car.
But then I am spectacularly lazy!

iCe

Does anyone out there rack a FT? :unsure:
Haven't seen those in a long time, but i'm still all for 14 and 16" toms. Maybe if i order my next kit in a decade or so i will do this... had a 14" tom in the past and found it so much easier to use. No legs in the way... just mount it off the rack and done

wraub

Mine is a 16 x 14 Yamaha Beech Custom with a YESS mount, on it's own dedicated stand. I can take a pic if you like, but it looks like this, only black and bigger- :D
1606490075508.png
I will say that it sounds great imo, it sounds like a good floor tom. I do not notice any issues with extra movement or bounce, and a recent session of rearranging the kit pointed out the ease of having one-point of adjustment. No issues with over ring or "too much" sustain in a note, the decay sounds typical of a floor tom, and the drum plays well with the rest of the kit.
I, personally, like it and would not let a hanging tom stop me from trying a kit out, or buying it if justified.

I found these reasons "for" on a different forum- I'm sure there are reasons "against" as well, but a leading one seems to be "bounce" and I don't get that.

"1. Because they use the same (or similar) mounting hardware as the other drums in the set, you can get more homogeneous tonal character in that transition from high to low toms.

2. It remains more true to the whole shell "purity" and "minimal contact" theories, preached and propagated for the past 20 years. Why have "isolation mounts" on two or three drums, then turn around and mount three legs directly to the shell of one or two more drums?

3. Positioning... yes when a traditional floor tom slips, it takes only one hand and a split second to drag it back into place. With a suspended floor tom... they don't slip out of place; plus, the range of mounting and location options is vastly superior to old-school legs. More and more drummers prefer their floor toms to be a little higher, allowing more fluid rolls from rack to floor."

Sounds good to me- However, as noted, I am odd. ;)

Awesomeness...I’ve just got a 14” that’s more than rackable...have you got a pic? :unsure: (y)

Al Strange

Mine is a 16 x 14 Yamaha Beech Custom with a YESS mount, on it's own dedicated stand. I can take a pic if you like, but it looks like this, only black and bigger- :D
1606490075508.png
😂 I love that, “...it looks like this, only black and bigger...” So totally different then? 😂 Nah, I get what you mean mate. I was thinking literally having it as a rack Tom, as opposed to a floor Tom, so in your example you’d rack the 16” up top and have an 18” FT? Bet ya wanna hit it @Yamaha Rider don’tcha?!

wraub

Well, because I am odd, I currently have 10" and 12" toms up, 16" hanging tom on the right and a 13"x11" hanging tom on the left, just because it was sitting there unused. I'll let you know if I like it. ;)

Here's a quick terrible pic of the 16"-

😂 I love that, “...it looks like this, only black and bigger...” So totally different then? 😂 Nah, I get what you mean mate. I was thinking literally having it as a rack Tom, as opposed to a floor Tom, so in your example you’d rack the 16” up top and have an 18” FT? Bet ya wanna hit it @Yamaha Rider don’tcha?!

Al Strange

Well, because I am odd, I currently have 10" and 12" toms up, 16" hanging tom on the right and a 13"x11" hanging tom on the left, just because it was sitting there unused. I'll let you know if I like it. ;)

Here's a quick terrible pic of the 16"-

That’s really cool mate! :D (y)

Yamaha Rider

Currently exploring the charms and mysteries of floor tom, bass drum and snare drum only world. I normally only play one up, one down, so not really a big stretch. Just trying to decide if I really care about or need the mounted tom for what I do.

View attachment 98304
Sweet looking - the bronze and wood have the same golden glow. Jealous of the T bars on the bass too. Can find any to fit my Stage Custom - the rods are too long.
Like to know how you get on. What DO you play?