Floor tom to bass drum conversions

retoxtony

Anyone use one of the bass drum conversion kits to turn a floor tom into a small bass drum? And how well did it work?

I've been kickin around the idea of making a small jungle kit and it just so happens i have a 16" Pearl Masters floor tom sitting here that i got for very cheap on Ebay. I know Pearl makes a kit that is cheap, but i would need to buy a longer Optimount or somehow extend the one i have for a 12" tom. Gibraltar also makes one but its considerably more money. I've also seen a few guys just make a riser out of wood.

So what have you guys done and how did it work out for you?

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I found a kit on Amazon, no longer available, that has the riser, the spurs, to convert and it works fine. It was marketed under Dunnetts name

There two others on Amazon currently

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Pearl sells a riser conversion, it's the same one sold with the Midtown kit. The spurs go in the floor tom legs lugs. If you have ISS mounts you don't need to modify the drum. Without the ISS mounts, the shell needs a 7/8 tom mount and a hole drilled.

I have a Midtown kit. The kick is solid. No issues what so ever. The kit is $40. Are you willing to modify the drum?

retoxtony

I found a kit on Amazon, no longer available, that has the riser, the spurs, to convert and it works fine. It was marketed under Dunnetts name

There two others on Amazon currently

Yes the Pearl one I mentioned in my first post and one made by Gibraltar, at least that’s on Amazon Canada. I was hoping to get some feedback from people who have used the Pearl one or came up with their own solution.

retoxtony

Pearl sells a riser conversion, it's the same one sold with the Midtown kit. The spurs go in the floor tom legs lugs. If you have ISS mounts you don't need to modify the drum. Without the ISS mounts, the shell needs a 7/8 tom mount and a hole drilled.

I have a Midtown kit. The kick is solid. No issues what so ever. The kit is $40. Are you willing to modify the drum?

I have no issues drilling some holes if I have to.Pretty sure your talking about the kit i mentioned. But to make it work on my floor Tom I’ll need a bigger optimount than the one I have. Your post got me thinking though, I might be able to take one of the old Tom mounts from my Pearl BLX kit and make it work to hold the post. I believe it’s 7/8 inch as well. I’d need to drill some holes but I’m ok with that. I’m gonna dig out my box of old stuff and see if it’ll work.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I have no issues drilling some holes if I have to.Pretty sure your talking about the kit i mentioned. But to make it work on my floor Tom I’ll need a bigger optimount than the one I have. Your post got me thinking though, I might be able to take one of the old Tom mounts from my Pearl BLX kit and make it work to hold the post. I believe it’s 7/8 inch as well. I’d need to drill some holes but I’m ok with that. I’m gonna dig out my box of old stuff and see if it’ll work.

Should work just fine. The riser post even has a standard memory lock that will fit the tom holder. I just checked inside my kick and the post extends about 2" into the drum, so height and clearance shouldn't be an issue either.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I made a riser from scrap wood ,and I’m no craftsman, for a 16 in Tom it bolted onto a leg holder. I posted a pic on here at one time. A single bolt through one of the legs attached it so didn’t have to modify the tom. Worked great but bought a Sonor safari after I liked 16 in kick. I set up my pedal then calculated height I wanted. A single bolt through leg but it was nested or suspended on felt pads on some back and front lugs. It was 16x16 and it was a lil cannon that would go boom with tone the way it was suspended using the hardware it had rather than adding something.