Floor tom sustain reduction hack worked

Captain Bash

Silver Member
Last night I tried out that old floor tom hack, the one where you turn one leg of the floor tom upside down In order to reduce sustain. In short, it worked a treat so much so that I ran the drum, a 16“ Yamaha MCAN, with no batter side muffling just a Evans UV2 batter and G1 resonant side. If you have a floor tom that delivers a note that stays around a little too long it’s worth trying this.

Captain Bash

Silver Member
I don’t know if taking one rubber foot off works as well, I just tried the hack as is and found it worked well. I really like how I have been able to keep my preferred heads and no muffling. Thanks for the other comments but I really don’t like pinstripes for the style I currently play, cotton balls etc mute the sound a bit but doesn’t have quite the same effect that the FT leg trick does.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Just wondering what type of heads and tuning you use.
While my floortom naturally decays for ~5 seconds, I find that a metal leg on the floor kills the low end as well as shortening sustain, so I go with cotton balls instead. But that’s at a fairly low tuning with a twin ply head on top (usually an emperor or G2).

Captain Bash

Silver Member
Just wondering what type of heads and tuning you use.
While my floortom naturally decays for ~5 seconds, I find that a metal leg on the floor kills the low end as well as shortening sustain, so I go with cotton balls instead. But that’s at a fairly low tuning with a twin ply head on top (usually an emperor or G2).
My FT is fitted with Evans UV2 batter with a G1 clear on the resonant side. Tuning is what I think of as medium plenty of low end, or at least enough for my tastes, but I don’t like floor toms tuned too low. I’ve played share kits where the FT is like bass drum !

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Is it worse to be half bad than all bad? I think so. If I'm gonna be bad, I want it true to the name, not a watered down version of bad. So I'm real confused.

So it's not a half bad idea...does that mean that it's less...or more...than a half bad idea? I'm OK with more, but only by the amount I'm away from half bad. It's still better to be all bad than half bad. Like make up your mind.

But yea, different shoes for a different flavor of sustain...What a way to separate drummers from their money is what I'm thinking :)

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I put my Gretsch Renown FT rubber feet in some larger cane or crutch tips. double duty

Captain Bash

Silver Member
Is it worse to be half bad than all bad? I think so. If I'm gonna be bad, I want it true to the name, not a watered down version of bad. So I'm real confused.

So it's not a half bad idea...does that mean that it's less...or more...than a half bad idea? I'm OK with more, but only by the amount I'm away from half bad. It's still better to be all bad than half bad. Like make up your mind.

But yea, different shoes for a different flavor of sustain...What a way to separate drummers from their money is what I'm thinking :)
Uncle Larry only time will tell whether your business idea / opportunity of merging shoes n floor toms will work it’s way into drummers conscious beyond all reason. Just like suspension tom mounts. Let’s just jam on this a moment:

Doc Martin’s paired with Tama from the 80s
Gretsch Round Badge paired with suede hush puppies.....nice
Noonan stave paired with Adidas samba (that’s me).
Guru paired with 6” Patent leather stiletto........that’s another thread

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Uncle Larry only time will tell whether your business idea / opportunity of merging shoes n floor toms will work it’s way into drummers conscious beyond all reason. Just like suspension tom mounts. Let’s just jam on this a moment:

Doc Martin’s paired with Tama from the 80s
Gretsch Round Badge paired with suede hush puppies.....nice
Noonan stave paired with Adidas samba (that’s me).
Guru paired with 6” Patent leather stiletto........that’s another thread
With the right marketing and enough vulnerable minds, that would fly for sure. Like the Eddie Bauer edition of the Ford Explorer.