Floor Tom Mounting - My First World Problem

timmdrum

Silver Member
[/QUOTE]
Anybody should be able to drill holes through a drum shell if they’re careful and Measure carefully. also there’s no reason to get a different diecast hoop. I still use my Star Cast hoop, you just take the mounting bracket off of it.
[/QUOTE]

The reason to replace the hoop would be to have one that doesn't have extra mass in three places that make it weighted unevenly, and he can sell the mount & hoop as a set to offset cost. But, I didn't say he *had* to; matter of fact, I said "shouldn't be a problem". He could use the hoop as is, sans Star-Cast, if he wants to, as you do.

Mustion

I am far from an experienced carpenter but I have drilled shells from wood to steel to aluminum to acrylic with no problems. It's really not that serious...

timmdrum

Silver Member
I suppose I should've said "experienced or confident in drilling drum shells". I've drilled to hang hooks on my covered patio, but I wouldn't be confident drilling one of my drum shells, particularly a nice Starclassic. :)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I'd drill it and make it a proper floor tom. All options other than legs are a major pain in the a$$. All options are heavier and more cumbersome than just installing legs. And with the new type of floating feet Tama uses, the drum will sound the same. Yes, you will have to replace a die cast hoop since the tom mount is part of the batter hoop, OR, you could just remove the tom mount and live with the batter hoop having the extra holes for the mount. No one will notice.

timmdrum

Silver Member
I'd drill it and make it a proper floor tom. All options other than legs are a major pain in the a$$. All options are heavier and more cumbersome than just installing legs. And with the new type of floating feet Tama uses, the drum will sound the same. Yes, you will have to replace a die cast hoop since the tom mount is part of the batter hoop, OR, you could just remove the tom mount and live with the batter hoop having the extra holes for the mount. No one will notice.
My single piece tom holder clamp weighs less than just the 3 FT legs I used previously, not even including the brackets on the shell. I haven't A/B'd the clamp and RIMS mount vs. the legs and brackets.

Curious- other than weight, why is attaching a clamp to a cymbal stand, that can then stay there, more of a pain to you than attaching/removing 3 legs every setup/breakdown, particularly when the Star-cast mount is already present? I take my tom off the holder and bag it. The clamp stays on the stand, memory locked. Super easy. :)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
My single piece tom holder clamp weighs less than just the 3 FT legs I used previously, not even including the brackets on the shell. I haven't A/B'd the clamp and RIMS mount vs. the legs and brackets.

Curious- other than weight, why is attaching a clamp to a cymbal stand, that can then stay there, more of a pain to you than attaching/removing 3 legs every setup/breakdown, particularly when the Star-cast mount is already present? I take my tom off the holder and bag it. The clamp stays on the stand, memory locked. Super easy. :)
Alot of times I'm not bagging the floor tom. I can just pick the whole thing up and put it in the back seat of the car. Even less work because there's nothing to dismantle.

There's also the Gibraltar / Dunnett Universal Clamp ( SC-GRUC ) which you clamp to the resonant side hoop. It's not really cheap, though - 3 pieces at $25 each plus the legs. So +1 on Dan's offer.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Drilling is the easy part IMO. Every man should be able to drill holes and use basic tools. Every woman wants you to be able to use basic tools too.

Measuring and marking the shell properly is WAY more critical. It's not hard, it's just more critical. Drilling a hole is stupid easy when you have the right spot marked.

If you want brackets, but don't want to drill, you could get someone else to do it. It's not rocket science.

What is it you want for the mounting system? Please tell me. I'm still unclear.

Drilling holes for floor tom leg brackets are not nearly as critical as drilling holes for lugs. You basically can't ruin anything too bad drilling for FT brackets.

Last edited:

Mustion

I think something that's lost in the "legs vs stand" floor tom debate is that due to their size, floor toms bounce an awful lot when stand-mounted, and not everybody likes that.
And of course, mounting any tom to a stand requires either a dedicated stand, or drags a cymbal along with it. Most people put their ride next to their FT so that's not a big deal but it is important to get the weight distribution right with such a big drum, which can paint you into a corner setup-wise.

Mustion

Measuring and marking the shell properly is WAY more critical. It's not hard, it's just more critical. Drilling a hole is stupid easy when you have the right spot marked.
This is very true. But, easy to do with some masking tape and a framing square. Just look at another floor tom to get the spacing and distance from the edge right.

lefty2

Platinum Member
Anybody should be able to drill holes through a drum shell if they’re careful and Measure carefully. also there’s no reason to get a different diecast hoop. I still use my Star Cast hoop, you just take the mounting bracket off of it.
[/QUOTE]

The reason to replace the hoop would be to have one that doesn't have extra mass in three places that make it weighted unevenly, and he can sell the mount & hoop as a set to offset cost. But, I didn't say he *had* to; matter of fact, I said "shouldn't be a problem". He could use the hoop as is, sans Star-Cast, if he wants to, as you do.
[/QUOTE]
I misinterpreted your shouldn't be a problem statement. Sorry. I thought you meant it shouldn't be a problem to replace the diecast hoop.