Flats Drums

Tamaefx

Silver Member
Hello everyone,
I wanted to show my second kit.
Beside my faithful Premier; I also own an uncommon Arbiter kit. Some may not known this brand neither this kit.
It's an Arbiter Flats Pro. 22 10 12 14.
A non-pro version used to exist with smaller bass drum and fragile plastic hoops.

So there is no shell except for a tiny wood circle painted with something like Zola Coat.
Only one screw to tune a drum. The mechanism is relatively heavy, the hoops are very strong.
The stability of the bass drum is surprising, it's better than one would think. The bass drum may move a lot but but won't crawl that much on its four feet. It's not easy to adjust those feet correctly but once it's done, they do their job.
Sound wise : the heads are pinstripe and powerstroke.
What I've tried, it's seems there's almost no tuning range because of the tuning mechanism. You can't be JAW. Medium tension is all you want.
The toms sound better than rototoms, short note of course but not bongy, the bass drum sounds very dry, very short. To rehearse in a small room it's enough.

All the drums fit in a big padded cymbal bag, very practical. The four drums weight less than my Premier bass drum. To rehearse, it's really practical. And the sound level is down quite a bit.

mmmm.jpg

nnnnn.jpg

fjjj.jpg

PS I missed the "L" in the post title, how to change it ? .

Last edited by a moderator:

Frosticles

Silver Member
Re: Fats Drums

Thought about one of these once.

Old Dog new Cans

I think it's very cool! I used to love the look and sound of roto toms. I wonder what it sounds like mic'd??

Tamaefx

Silver Member

Some use this kit with mesh and triggers.
For small venues I would certainly Mike the bass drum.

Old Dog new Cans

Some use this kit with mesh and triggers.
For small venues I would certainly Mike the bass drum.

If you ever mic it up, try and get a recording. That would be interesting.

mikyok

Platinum Member

I had the full maple kit from Arbiter, beautiful drums, my first pro level kit. Same tuning system. Changing heads and tuning was so easy!

They were just too expensive to make. If you can get one of the full kit (AT Series) you won't be disappointed, quite heavy but record really well.

newoldie

Silver Member
Hello everyone,
I wanted to show my second kit.
Beside my faithful Premier; I also own an uncommon Arbiter kit. Some may not known this brand neither this kit.
It's an Arbiter Flats Pro. 22 10 12 14.
A non-pro version used to exist with smaller bass drum and fragile plastic hoops.

So there is no shell except for a tiny wood circle painted with something like Zola Coat.
Only one screw to tune a drum. The mechanism is relatively heavy, the hoops are very strong.
The stability of the bass drum is surprising, it's better than one would think. The bass drum may move a lot but but won't crawl that much on its four feet. It's not easy to adjust those feet correctly but once it's done, they do their job.
Sound wise : the heads are pinstripe and powerstroke.
What I've tried, it's seems there's almost no tuning range because of the tuning mechanism. You can't be JAW. Medium tension is all you want.
The toms sound better than rototoms, short note of course but not bongy, the bass drum sounds very dry, very short. To rehearse in a small room it's enough.

All the drums fit in a big padded cymbal bag, very practical. The four drums weight less than my Premier bass drum. To rehearse, it's really practical. And the sound level is down quite a bit.

PS I missed the "L" in the post title, how to change it ? .

My experience as well with those items you mention. I purchased an earlier version in 2004 and used it on/off for the next 13 years, primarily as a practice set, a few occasions for a small garage rehearsal. It was OK, but due to its limited tuning ranges its best use was for practice in a small space. I ended up selling it to a guy for practicing in his apartment.

Seen a guy play one of those kits in a pretty well known area 3 piece group at a good sized outdoor festival. Kept waiting for the guy to show up, it's close to show time. He comes driving up in a car, unloads, sets up in a few minutes. They mic'd him up and off they went in to the set. They sounded great! He had a real snare with the kit. Thought about grabbing one but all I could really find was a plastic version of that kit.